Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

First time at the 1/4 with the new 5.0

Old 11-09-2011, 09:27 AM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

Default First time at the 1/4 with the new 5.0

Went to the local track this past weekend with a bunch of stang buddies, we have the same meet up every year, and usually a good amount of 5th gen camaro owners meet us there for a little bit of grudge runs. Had about 10-15 stangs, 2 Taurus SHO's, a Flex (was running consistent 13.5's all day) and around 5 camaros show up.

OK so my best time of the day was 13.4, I cant remember the trap speed. There was this really young kid working at the time slip booth this day and he gave my two best slips away to the wrong people, one of them I got back because the person came and found me, that was my 13.6 run. The only way I found out my best time was from what my friends told me that were spectating.

I know that these are not very respectable times for the new 5.0's, however I am proud of these times, considering I am running street tires on 20 inch rims. This is the first stick I've owned, and first one I've taken down the 1/4 so I am happy how it played out. Most of all I had fun.

I was experimenting with launching, and getting my reaction down, went from +599 to +106 at the end of the day. Traction was all over the place getting squirrely early on until 4th gear, traction control was on for each run.

There was another guy there with a bone stock 5.0 manual running stock wheels/tires running 12.4's all day long. Best times I've seen or even heard of on the internet, it was pretty amazing. He said he had 10 years worth of drag racing experience in, for whatever thats worth.

I plan on getting Cold Air, and some race star wheels skinnies/DR's for next summer.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:37 AM
okbfd
4th Gear Member

With 20s and TC on it was still getting away from you through three gears?

You did go bold for your first standard tranny Given your inexperience with a stick and with street tires I certainly wouldn't be ashamed of those times.

And......it sounds like you had a great time.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:18 PM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by okbfd
With 20s and TC on it was still getting away from you through three gears?

You did go bold for your first standard tranny Given your inexperience with a stick and with street tires I certainly wouldn't be ashamed of those times.

And......it sounds like you had a great time.
Yea, this is my third stang, I def wanted a manual this time around for the fun factor, and it has def been worth it. May not pull off better times at the strip but man, have I really enjoyed this car this summer. Most of my racing is done on the street from a ricers roll, so this was my first time actually practicing with launching.

Early on in the day I was launching hard - around 4-5k rpms, I know how high that sounds especially with street tires, but it was basically trial/error, progressively getting lower until I got it right around to where I wanted it.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:43 PM
CamOnlyWS6
1st Gear Member

Not terrible, but with some seat time you should deff. get some better ETs.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:23 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Maraman
Went to the local track this past weekend with a bunch of stang buddies, we have the same meet up every year, and usually a good amount of 5th gen camaro owners meet us there for a little bit of grudge runs. Had about 10-15 stangs, 2 Taurus SHO's, a Flex (was running consistent 13.5's all day) and around 5 camaros show up.

OK so my best time of the day was 13.4, I cant remember the trap speed. There was this really young kid working at the time slip booth this day and he gave my two best slips away to the wrong people, one of them I got back because the person came and found me, that was my 13.6 run. The only way I found out my best time was from what my friends told me that were spectating.

I know that these are not very respectable times for the new 5.0's, however I am proud of these times, considering I am running street tires on 20 inch rims. This is the first stick I've owned, and first one I've taken down the 1/4 so I am happy how it played out. Most of all I had fun.

I was experimenting with launching, and getting my reaction down, went from +599 to +106 at the end of the day. Traction was all over the place getting squirrely early on until 4th gear, traction control was on for each run.

There was another guy there with a bone stock 5.0 manual running stock wheels/tires running 12.4's all day long. Best times I've seen or even heard of on the internet, it was pretty amazing. He said he had 10 years worth of drag racing experience in, for whatever thats worth.

I plan on getting Cold Air, and some race star wheels skinnies/DR's for next summer.

You had a good time and that's the main thing. In addition to a CAI/Tuner combo, I'd recommend upgrading the rear control arms, especially with the stickier tires you have planned.

We have all of these available at www.uprproducts.com, and MF members get a 10% discount on any part we manufacture.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:01 PM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the suggestion bud, I've def had my eyes on UCA's, LCA's.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:49 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

20 inch wheels, first time at the track with the car... you did exceptionally well IMHO. With the tires you have planned, etc, that car is really going to wake up. Good runs, dude!
Old 11-09-2011, 06:02 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

totally agree with Stone. OP those are some outstanding times bro!
Old 11-09-2011, 06:04 PM
S8ER01Z
6th Gear Member

Not bad considering. Tons of room for improvement which is good.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:28 PM
turbo 2.8
3rd Gear Member

[QUOTE=

There was another guy there with a bone stock 5.0 manual running stock wheels/tires running 12.4's all day long. Best times I've seen or even heard of on the internet, it was pretty amazing. He said he had 10 years worth of drag racing experience in, for whatever thats worth..[/QUOTE]

wow !...stock?? this is hard to believe , I know of 2 guys that have 5.0's one with drag radials, the other with a tune , tune running 12.7 , d.r. running 12.6 and this is at sea level

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First time at the 1/4 with the new 5.0