Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Boxster S versus Boss 302

Old 11-10-2011, 04:56 PM
Demon 340
Administrator

Default Boxster S versus Boss 302

Tonight I was out riding around in my ride of the week, a 2012 Porsche Boxster S. The road was a little ramp from a recent rain and i had been playing around with a new edge mach 1 when i hear that much louder revving from behind...it was a white boss 302 who clearly wanted to play around.

let me start by pointing out that im aware that a well driven boss 302 will mop up a boxster S but ill always give it a go. at one point he got in front of me (the boss, we lost the mach when we got into the higher speeds) and i noticed that even when we were at real high speed, his *** end was dancing around on the damp road. after some time, we got away from the other cars and came to a red light. we both eased forward and when the light turned green, we both came out hard...or at least tried to. I was able to get the porsche off the line pretty well with some wheelspin in the midrange of first and second gear but i could see that the boss was all over the place. i ran it up to 80 or so and by then, he was closing on me but he suddenly turned off of that road and that was the end...

im sure that had the boss gotten traction, it would have been a different outcome but having spent time behind the wheel of the boss (which i loved), it was nice to find someone who was willing to screw around with the boxster...
Old 11-10-2011, 05:02 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Damn. Nice run.

BTW did you guys get any snow flakes?
Old 11-10-2011, 06:14 PM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

Cayman S > Boxster S
Old 11-10-2011, 06:22 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Cool run. What are the specs on that new Boxster anyway?
Old 11-10-2011, 07:43 PM
Demon 340
Administrator

the Boxster S has a 3.4L Boxer 6, 310hp, 266lb-ft of torque...with a curb weight of 2978. the one im driving has the proper manual transmission...although the Doppelkupplung (dual clutch) is heavier but also faster 0-60.

Ive really been impressed with the performance of the Boxster...it really makes the most of the 310hp.

Ive not found any stock 1/4 times for the Boxster S, but the Boxster Spyder (10 more hp, 100 less pounds) runs high 12s...
Old 11-10-2011, 08:15 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Thanks for the info, man. Wanted to hear your thoughts versus some mag tester's. Sounds like a solid low 13 second Porsche. I'm assuming she's geared somewhat aggressive and revs high to make the most of the TQ?
Old 11-10-2011, 09:30 PM
Demon 340
Administrator

im not sure on the exact gear ratio but even with six speeds, it always feels like it go could one more...and it loves the big rpms. the powerband is almost like a turbo car. dont get me wrong, it pulls nicely at the lower RPMs but once you get up over 4,000 or so...it really pulls hard. enough so that even on dry roads, it spins the tires at higher rpms at high speeds. as porsches go, this car gets a bad rap because it doesnt have awd or huge power but it is in impressively quick little car. also, ive had a hard time getting the car to break loose on higher speed turns. i was going through some local cloverleaf onramps..pushing 65+ and the car didnt even seem like it wanted to slide...
Old 11-14-2011, 01:21 PM
moochman4life
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Snakebite64
Cayman S > Boxster S
Basically, they are both the same car...but in my opinion, I agree. Just looks a whole hell of a lot better.

The Boxster (and Cayman) is really meant more for the twisties than going in a straight line. As alluded to by the OP, they are rev-happy cars, but also have awesome balance, and are of porsche heritage (albeit "poor-mans" lol), which means they are perfectly suited to the track. A couple guys I run with at the track are both brothers and both run Boxster S's, and they kill it on the more technical courses like Summit Point Shenandoah Circuit.

Matter of fact, I was reading a recent issue of GRM, and they did an article on some of the best used track cars you can find for around 10k, and the Boxster ranked right up there, if not numero uno...can't remember fa sho, though.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:24 AM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

From a roll with a guy who can't shift anything is possible. People want to say the Boss is an over priced GT with 32 extra horsepower because "they" don't or can't have one. I got into it with a guy a few weeks ago about auto vs manual (I felt the need because I wasted an auto Gt), the Boss has a shorter shifting gearbox, forged internals (yes the crankshaft, rods, and pistons are all forged, it's in the manual), and a great adjustable suspension. I really think a lot of people hate on this car because they just can't have it. I'm not rich by any means, I'm your run of the mil dude who worked his *** of to have this car and I couldn't be happier.

Last edited by REDBOSS1; 11-23-2011 at 12:38 AM.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:05 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

you bitter dude?

don't think anyone was bashing the boss........ chill out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Boxster S versus Boss 302