Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

99 thru 04 gts, whats your 60 ft times

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 06:01 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

How long do you expect those stamped stock suspension parts and rubber bushings to hold up to 1.5 launches though? And how much ET is being left on the table from running stock suspension and slicks? I don't think that the suspension necessarily needs to be re worked from front to back, but at minimum I would want LCAs, UCAs, poly bushings, torque arm, subframe connectors, and (depending on the car) weld-in torque boxes. Thats if if I were going to be pulling 1.5s every other weekend.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:31 PM
justinschmidt1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
How long do you expect those stamped stock suspension parts and rubber bushings to hold up to 1.5 launches though? And how much ET is being left on the table from running stock suspension and slicks? I don't think that the suspension necessarily needs to be re worked from front to back, but at minimum I would want LCAs, UCAs, poly bushings, torque arm, subframe connectors, and (depending on the car) weld-in torque boxes. Thats if if I were going to be pulling 1.5s every other weekend.

Who knows....obviously the stock suspension wont handle 1.5 60 foots every weekend so if you race the car that much, upgrading parts is a must but thats not really the point...I was just saying you can probably see the same 60 foots on stock suspension with a real set of slicks vs spending thousands of dollars on lcas, ucas, lake wood shocks/struts, drag springs.

All I have is the MM extreme LCAs which have spherical bushings and ive had no problems.

Again, just comes down to the goal for the car.

I dont think the avg. mustang owner races their car every weekend.

I would be lucky if I got to the track more than once a year.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:50 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Doesn't take thousands to get a few basic parts. But I agree, a few times a year and the stock stuff should hold up just fine to launches like that.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:19 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

no doubt it wouldn't hold up, but imo a set of good u/l control arms, subframes, and torque box reinforcements and you're set. I never see anyone with drag setups including a torque arm, those are expensive and from everythign i've seen only help with turns, not launching. Also agree that while the stock suspension is capable of 1.5/1.6 60' times, you could still do much better with some actual suspension work.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:01 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

IMO, your going to need decent power to hit 1.5's.

to hit 1.4's your really going to need above average power.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:12 AM
Syracuse315
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ctgreddy
no doubt it wouldn't hold up, but imo a set of good u/l control arms, subframes, and torque box reinforcements and you're set. I never see anyone with drag setups including a torque arm, those are expensive and from everythign i've seen only help with turns, not launching. Also agree that while the stock suspension is capable of 1.5/1.6 60' times, you could still do much better with some actual suspension work.
There are some benefits even for drag racing such as quicker weight transfer and increased rear traction (especially on takeoff), but this comes at the cost of adding more weight though. I think Griggs Racing has put some Panhard Bars and Torque Arms on 8 and 9 sec cars, so they're out there.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:57 PM
justinschmidt1
4th Gear Member

Doesn't take thousands to get a few basic parts. But I agree, a few times a year and the stock stuff should hold up just fine to launches like that.
Lol, start adding it up...that stuff is not cheap, especially if your not installing the parts your self.

Not sure where you getting your prices.

hell, add up the cost for springs, shocks/struts, CC plates, install and alignment and your talking 1,000m maybe more easily.

the Extreme duty MM control arms that I have are 350 dollars alone, not including installation

Add up the cost to do drag coil overs, upper lower control arms, subframes, easily spend 2k
Old 12-08-2011, 02:58 PM
justinschmidt1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ctgreddy
Also agree that while the stock suspension is capable of 1.5/1.6 60' times, you could still do much better with some actual suspension work.

This is where I dont really agree.

I feel like I dont see these cars do much better, even with full drag suspension.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:50 PM
procs2v
3rd Gear Member

1.63 with bolt on's and nothing for suspension
Old 12-08-2011, 11:06 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by justinschmidt1
Lol, start adding it up...that stuff is not cheap, especially if your not installing the parts your self.

Not sure where you getting your prices.

hell, add up the cost for springs, shocks/struts, CC plates, install and alignment and your talking 1,000m maybe more easily.

the Extreme duty MM control arms that I have are 350 dollars alone, not including installation

Add up the cost to do drag coil overs, upper lower control arms, subframes, easily spend 2k
Let me ask you this. How much experience do you have in suspension? I have plenty. And I have pulled the same 60 you have on slicks, only I did it on POS Falkens and still had a car that handled like it was on rails.

Quick Reply: 99 thru 04 gts, whats your 60 ft times