Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

iPhone dyno app test

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 04:07 PM
perfect.disguise
5th Gear Member

I tried dynolicious on my old setup. Iirc it was around 12.6 @ low 120s on the old pump gas tune. My troll sig is the same set up on 29psi/112 on a loaded Mustang dyno.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:31 PM
ZPounds07GT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by S8ER01Z
A couple of places have down reviews on the iPhone apps (dynolicious/pocketdyno).. the biggest thing is securing the phone so it doesn't move/bounce. (this can screw up the results big time).

I believe one even compared dynolicious to a g-tech pro and found it to be more accurate. I don't put much weight behind the numbers but it's fun to toy with when I'm bored.
Yeah my friend held it on the center arm rest.

Originally Posted by 98LS1
Unless that thing acts like a pro tree, which I imagine it's based off movement, your reaction time will have no affect on the ET.
What do you mean about it acting like a real tree? Because it has a light that it displays to count you down.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:15 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Are those apps not running off gps or something? Simply calculating how long it takes to get from A to B? Then using the numbers the driver plugs in for weight, cylinders, etc, and figuring HP? There are similar calculators on the interwebs that figure RWHP by using 1/4 mile ETs, weight, etc, etc. I'd say they are as accurate as they can be, but not nearly as accurate as a track.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:21 PM
S8ER01Z
6th Gear Member

Built in gyros on the iPhone are supposed to be pretty accurate. They actually calculate Gs generated just like the gtech units. Kind of cool really.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:31 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

That is cool. Had no idea it was going off that.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:37 PM
aerbourne
2nd Gear Member

this seems pretty darn cool. i will have to try it out
Old 01-04-2012, 11:09 AM
ZPounds07GT
3rd Gear Member

Yeah it seems pretty accurate. I mean it could be off some because the road I was on was not completely flat or straight like a track would be. It was pretty straight and level for a good distance, after I hit about 100 I was hitting the brakes. I think I'm gonna try and look into a local drag strip, this thing has me really interested.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:11 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

yeah thats one of the tricks, you get a down hill grade and you can get some awesome 1/4 times on that thing hah even if you dont see a downhill grade it can still be there, the track i go to in Acton, MT is a very level track. not all tracks are level either though. even that track which is one of the flatest in the country (or so i've heard) still has a bit of a grade to it.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:06 PM
98LS1
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ZPounds07GT
What do you mean about it acting like a real tree? Because it has a light that it displays to count you down.
A pro tree starts the ET clock as soon as it turns green. A normal tree starts the clock once you cross the beams. Basically, you can go to a test and tune night, or what have it, and you can let the light turn green and sit there for as long as you want. The clock will not start clicking until you cross the laser with your front tire. You can have a 4.0 reaction time and still run your best ever ET. Simply finding out how fast your car is has nothing to do with reaction time. You get into bracket racing or the such, then that becomes a focus.

I've drank a bit of bacardi today on the golf course....hope that all came out understandable.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:36 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 98LS1
A pro tree starts the ET clock as soon as it turns green. A normal tree starts the clock once you cross the beams. Basically, you can go to a test and tune night, or what have it, and you can let the light turn green and sit there for as long as you want. The clock will not start clicking until you cross the laser with your front tire. You can have a 4.0 reaction time and still run your best ever ET. Simply finding out how fast your car is has nothing to do with reaction time. You get into bracket racing or the such, then that becomes a focus.

I've drank a bit of bacardi today on the golf course....hope that all came out understandable.
It didn't make any sense. Please reword and repeat everything you just said, but not in Engrish. 0_o

Quick Reply: iPhone dyno app test