Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

At track...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 08:24 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ctgreddy
I have about 400 into my 4r70(auto with electronic o/d) and it's rated to 600hp/tq. Only thing is I did it myself so it kept costs way down.

I've never dug into a modern transmission other than to replace solenoids...do you have prior experience or did you just do it?
Old 01-29-2012, 08:34 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
I've never dug into a modern transmission other than to replace solenoids...do you have prior experience or did you just do it?
I took a trans class in college and am michigan certified, however there really isn't that much experiance needed. in class we used gm trannies and one of the ones i picked was the 4l60. pretty simple for a newer trans and if you were to take your time you could rebuild it yourself. I dont know what all you'll need to upgrade other than i know the sunshell in those is garbage. a beast sunshell, good clutch packs, upgraded o/d band, and some valvebody upgrades would make a world of difference i'm sure. if you do it yourself the big thing is get a big work bench and when you pull parts out lay them in order, the most complicated thing is getting it all back together where it needs to be.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:38 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by crash
And it's not like it's easy for an average joe to go figure out. I followed that thread and I was completely lost
to be honest i think anyone with a general car knowledge could. if you bought a rebuild manual and took your time and was nice and neat i'm sure anyone who could do a complete tune up could rebuild their trans. it's just gathering up the courage to tear it apart, once you pull it apart all the little parts can be discouraging lol.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:47 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

I took a trans class in college and am michigan certified, however there really isn't that much experiance needed. in class we used gm trannies and one of the ones i picked was the 4l60. pretty simple for a newer trans and if you were to take your time you could rebuild it yourself. I dont know what all you'll need to upgrade other than i know the sunshell in those is garbage. a beast sunshell, good clutch packs, upgraded o/d band, and some valvebody upgrades would make a world of difference i'm sure. if you do it yourself the big thing is get a big work bench and when you pull parts out lay them in order, the most complicated thing is getting it all back together where it needs to be.
Gotcha. I feel confident I could rebuild it, it just might take me 2-3 days to get it out, torn down, rebuilt, and reinstalled. The parts aren't all that expensive. Like you said, the sun shell sucks, clutches, and servos would need upgrading. Sounds like my 2-3 clutches are about burnt and pushing the RPM up too high before shifting.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:04 AM
jojobanks
2nd Gear Member

I have about 400 into my 4r70(auto with electronic o/d) and it's rated to 600hp/tq. Only thing is I did it myself so it kept costs way down.
I was including the cost of the trans. Just the parts to rebuild I'm about there with you. I also rebuilt it myself. I've thought about getting an overdrive trans, but honestly at this point, if I were to change trans, I'd go with a t-56.

And it's not like it's easy for an average joe to go figure out. I followed that thread and I was completely lost
it's really not that hard. I'd say the hardest part is breaking down the valve body (dam check *****). as long as you have a good diagram to go by you can figure it out, and god knows there's a video for everything on youtube...
Old 01-30-2012, 02:58 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

****ty about the tran's.

time to baby it until you can figure out what your going to do.

I vote for the 800+hp trans...... why build it twice?

btw, did you weigh your car today? did you take out the passenger seat or anything?
Old 01-30-2012, 05:53 AM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 302army187
****ty about the tran's.

time to baby it until you can figure out what your going to do.

I vote for the 800+hp trans...... why build it twice?

btw, did you weigh your car today? did you take out the passenger seat or anything?
That's what I'm thinking..

Didn't weigh it. I ran at full weight with about a 1/4 tank. Kind of wish I had of pulled the passenger seat and sway bar.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:51 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

that wasn't my reason for asking....

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/2807826608.html

if you run that quick at 3700lbs or so race weight.......

imagine 3150 raceweight
Old 01-30-2012, 07:17 AM
S8ER01Z
6th Gear Member

Grats on the new best!! My 4L60E started doing that and I tried to ignore it... Then it puked fluid all over the engine and left me stranded passing a car on the highway. I say time for an M6 swap. :P

Stall alone may put you on the edge of 11s especially if you're slipping on the 2-3 shift. Damn impressive times for so little done. At this point I would say the stock stall is holding you back on that launch and the trans is hurting you more than you realize. When my third went I lost all of the gears. When they pulled everything 3rd was a bare metal ring and 1 & 2 were 99% gone but still grabbing enough to move the car with out me knowing they were slipping.

Last edited by S8ER01Z; 01-30-2012 at 10:36 AM. Reason: iPhone + medicine = bad poasting
Old 01-30-2012, 09:38 AM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 302army187
that wasn't my reason for asking....

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/2807826608.html

if you run that quick at 3700lbs or so race weight.......

imagine 3150 raceweight
I see what you're getting at. That would be a badass set-up..

Originally Posted by S8ER01Z
I saw time for an M6 swap. :P
At this point I would say the stock stall is holding you back on that launch and the trans is hurting you more than you realize. When my third went I lost all of the gears. When they pulled everything 3rd was a bare metal ring and 1 & 2 were 99% gone but still grabbing enough to move the car with out me knowing they were slipping.
Thanks man!

How complicated was that T-56 swap?

I know man, its getting a good stall with the built trans. I would be surprised if it didnt run high 11s with that and a good stout trans.

Last edited by Stone629; 01-30-2012 at 09:47 AM.

Quick Reply: At track...