Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Went to track today

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 11:58 PM
The Stig
4th Gear Member

Default Went to track today

I usually avoid 1/8th mile tracks because they are really half a race. But I couldn't say no when my friend invited me out to a track rental and there would only be about 15 cars there. So I went to practice my launching and shifting. Track prep was horrible, all 60' times other than one were over 2.0 sec. We also didn't get time slips because it was such a small crew they kinda just opened the track to let us run. They wrote down some of the times and I believe my best was 8.537 @ 88mph with a 2.0 60'. Horrible time but it was spinning in every gear. I got sideways 3 times (once going into the other lane) and had to let out, kinda fun in a "omg I'm going to crash" kind of way.

The best part of the day by far, was going for a ride in my friend's 750 rwhp Camaro. That was just a pure adrenaline rush, crazy fast car. Unfortunately I didn't get any videos of the car. I will try to in the future though. I also got to ride in another friend's C6 Z06 and I did get a video of that. My phone started ringing while the tree was counting down, lol.

I let my friend with the Camaro take my vette for a couple passes and got these videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq6ifocLwYc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPdVaR-T5bI

Ride along in C6 Z06:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6-J1G-jp-4

Also got a video of my friends GLI: (same one I raced the V6 Mustang in)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ44res4g4s

Not a bad day, but I still don't like doing 1/8th mile. To bad its over a 2 1/2 hour drive for any 1/4 mile tracks.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:05 AM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Originally Posted by The Stig
Not a bad day, but I still don't like doing 1/8th mile. To bad its over a 2 1/2 hour drive for any 1/4 mile tracks.
Looked like a fun time. I'm in the same bought as you about 1/4 mile tracks being 2 1/2 hours away. You should be lucky that you're able to go to the track today. We just like 8" of snow lol
Old 02-05-2012, 08:32 AM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

What mods to the C5? I agree that 1/4 is much better but realize this, the key to good 1/4 mile times lies in the 60ft and 1/8 mile, after that you're basically on cruise control. Every tenth you drop on the 1/8th is about 2 in the 1/4, so work on your times at the 1/8th and when you feel you've gotten the best from your setup then go to the 1/4 mile and see what it translates to that. I'd say right now you're at about 12.7-12.8 @ 112-113.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:30 AM
The Stig
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by darkmach1
What mods to the C5? I agree that 1/4 is much better but realize this, the key to good 1/4 mile times lies in the 60ft and 1/8 mile, after that you're basically on cruise control. Every tenth you drop on the 1/8th is about 2 in the 1/4, so work on your times at the 1/8th and when you feel you've gotten the best from your setup then go to the 1/4 mile and see what it translates to that. I'd say right now you're at about 12.7-12.8 @ 112-113.
It has intake and exhaust right now, should easily be able to do low 12s, and with a great driver they can do high 11s. They trap in the high teens stock. The problem yesterday was really the track. At the normal 1/4 mile track I go to, the track prep is great and I usually hook up pretty well. This time it was horrible and I was breaking loose and spinning in third. I'll have to wait to drive it to my normal track to get some real times. By then I should have a few more mods and with some sticky tyres I will be shooting for low 11s and maybe if the conditions are right high 10s.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:37 AM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Looks like a good time. 8.5 at 88 isn't bad at all spinning like that.

How did that C6Z feel riding in it? I've never been in one, only an Ls2 C6. Did he get a time off that run?
Old 02-05-2012, 10:48 AM
The Stig
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
Looks like a good time. 8.5 at 88 isn't bad at all spinning like that.

How did that C6Z feel riding in it? I've never been in one, only an Ls2 C6. Did he get a time off that run?
Yeah I guess its not that bad for spinning in third, but my Camaro can easily do 8.5s so that bothers me a little that the z06 didn't do better. I was aiming for 7.9s.

The C6Z is nice. Little nicer interior than the C5 and it feels more civilized as well. Needless to say it pulls really hard and keeps on pulling up top. He has some bolt ons and tune and had just over 500 rwhp.

I still can't justify the price compared to buying a C5Z and doing a TT setup, but some people prefer a newer car and more "European" feeling.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:53 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Figure 1/8th mile E.T. is 65% of what 1/4 mile E.T. would be...........
Old 02-25-2012, 05:49 AM
buster
4th Gear Member

If I'm ending up in the other lane and my car is a daily driver, I'm leaning on a fence with my car parked behind me the rest of the day. You realize your insurance is on the starting line when you drag race right?
Old 02-25-2012, 10:08 AM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by buster
If I'm ending up in the other lane and my car is a daily driver, I'm leaning on a fence with my car parked behind me the rest of the day. You realize your insurance is on the starting line when you drag race right?
Only if you're stupid enough to actually tell your insurance company you wrecked it on the drag strip. Tow it home, call your company, tell them you hit a deer, lost control and hit a ditch, then had it towed home. Thats a not at fault claim. Ask me how I know. You'd have to be out of your damn mind to tell them what you were really doing so they can either drop you or jack up your rates for the next 3 years.

But I agree, if the track is so bad that I can't hold my own lane, thats a wrap for the day, lol.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:05 PM
The Stig
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by buster
Shes not my daily driver and while I did slide in the other lane a bit, the left lane was closed so I knew no one was over there. I also never felt the car was out of control. She was a little squirrely and didn't want to keep traction, but I felt I had control of the car the whole time. It defiantly raises your heart rate, but I wasn't like "OMG I'm gunna crash" lol.

Also, while your insurance doesn't have to cover you. There have been people who have told their insurance companies the complete truth, including using nitrous, and they've had their claims covered.

Last edited by The Stig; 02-25-2012 at 03:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Went to track today