Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

My GT vs 6.0 GTO

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 10:19 PM
3vStang
2nd Gear Member

Default My GT vs 6.0 GTO

So I'm out with a couple of my buddies last night and we go for a cruise. I'm not big into racing I just like to meet up and check out some cars. Regardless, it was my car, a z28, 3 e46 m3's and my buddy just picked up a stock 6.0 gto. Apparently he told my buddy he would smoke me. Honestly I could care less, hes got a 400 hp 6.0, and im for the most part stock, just bolt ons. Long story short the z28 (ls1) raced two of the m3's and beat them both. Coming back up the highway it's just us 3 muscle cars. The gto decides to step on it and I follow him, he switches lanes and slows up until I'm next to him. No one was around so I thought let's see what my cars can do. Again I wasn't expecting anything. I roll down the windows and held up three finger as in a 3 beep, we were doing about 50. I beep it off and smash the pedal my car down shifts and rips to life. Before I know it I'm pulling ahead and by 85 I'm a length and a half ahead. I shut it down around 100. We come up to a light and I ask him if he got a clean start he said "uh I got a bad shift my traction kicked in, and I thought your 3 fingers meant 30 roll." So from that light we start cruising around 25mph, and I 3 beep again and slam the pedal (surprised I didn't spin) my car hesitated a second, Hate that. But even with the late down shift my car rocketed with his and we were dead even all the way up to around 115 mph. Good run. Wish I grabbed a vid.

I was very impressed with my car, that was the closest race I ever ran. I know those 6.0 gto's are no joke. He also has a manual transmission, Wish I did so I could have started in my power band. Id rather run from a dig, I don't like roll racing. I think if I got a good launch from a dig, due to the weight of the gto, I could pull ahead and stay there, but who knows. He was so mad at the end of the night. haha. Who cares.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:08 AM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Nice run! You and that GTO are a really good match up with your mods. Would love to see that dig too, but honestly I think you would get a jump on him. May or may not hold that jump, but it would be a good one either way.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:28 AM
The Stig
4th Gear Member

Good runs! With your mods you should be a pretty good match up for him, run him from a dig and get it on video.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:08 AM
drhoward
Penis Mod Erator

I am kind of suprised you kept up to him so well up top, that's where I would have expected him to gain a little

From a dig I would imagine you would have been able to take him
Old 03-07-2012, 09:36 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

yeah... if you were at a stop light why no stop light race?

I'm not a fan of roll racing, i always prefer a dig.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:01 PM
3vStang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mishri
yeah... if you were at a stop light why no stop light race?

I'm not a fan of roll racing, i always prefer a dig.
It was the first light after we merged off the interstate. The light is a 2 way turn so there was no way to launch from the light. I would have loved to run from a dig. I guess we could stopped on the mini highway instead of starting at 25, but we made the turn I beeped n we mashed it.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:03 PM
3vStang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by drhoward
I am kind of suprised you kept up to him so well up top, that's where I would have expected him to gain a little

From a dig I would imagine you would have been able to take him
Believe me so was I. I had the biggest smile on my face. With a uca and some better tires I would launch I him pretty well, I think
Old 03-07-2012, 06:13 PM
3vStang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
Nice run! You and that GTO are a really good match up with your mods. Would love to see that dig too, but honestly I think you would get a jump on him. May or may not hold that jump, but it would be a good one either way.
Stone, just noticed you have a camaro. My buddy that I mentioned with the z28 has just the slp lid, slp lms and a dyno tune. I ran him before my headers or gears and I pulled him the first time, and he said he bogged, and the second time I ironically i did bog and I was no more than two bumpers behind. Idk he still thinks he'd beat me now. Idc, anyway to the point. He said with his mods he put down 380 rwhp and 360 rwtq. I know those ls1s are great motors and I gained a lot of respect for those motors from his car. But do those numbers sound right? I thought they were a little high, but I know the camaros were underrated from the factory as to not alter the sale of the c5s. Not discrediting the ls1, there nuts but I thought to get close to 400 rwhp he'd need a cam as well. Just going from what I've read.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:24 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 3vStang
Stone, just noticed you have a camaro. My buddy that I mentioned with the z28 has just the slp lid, slp lms and a dyno tune. I ran him before my headers or gears and I pulled him the first time, and he said he bogged, and the second time I ironically i did bog and I was no more than two bumpers behind. Idk he still thinks he'd beat me now. Idc, anyway to the point. He said with his mods he put down 380 rwhp and 360 rwtq. I know those ls1s are great motors and I gained a lot of respect for those motors from his car. But do those numbers sound right? I thought they were a little high, but I know the camaros were underrated from the factory as to not alter the sale of the c5s. Not discrediting the ls1, there nuts but I thought to get close to 400 rwhp he'd need a cam as well. Just going from what I've read.
What year LS1?

If its a 01-02, he could see 350 rwhp pretty easily with LTs, Lid, Cat-back, and a tune. He needs a small cam to see 380 RWHP. A bigger cam could put him well over 400 rwhp. To answer your question, he absolutely is NOT putting down 380 at the wheels with those mods. 340-350 is where he should be with the headers. 325-330 before the LTs.

Last edited by Stone629; 03-07-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:36 PM
3vStang
2nd Gear Member

Wow, I thought he was way off hah. No he's just got intake, catback, and a tune. And it's an 02 z28. I think they come with an ls6 intake manifold, am I correct? Ya I thought I read an ms3 or ms4 cam with supporting bolt ons would be around 400 hp. Not an intake, exhaust, tune.

What kind of numbers are you making? Just curious, bc you have some good track times.

Quick Reply: My GT vs 6.0 GTO