Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

St. Patrick's Day Fun

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 01:16 PM
The Stig
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by buster
I got pulled over in a parking lot in my gtp on st pattys day. Police were everywhere, maybe a bit of street racing wasn't very smart on this day?
If there a different day when street racing is smart? Like Stone said, coming into the Street/Strip section and complaining about the street part would be like going to OT and complaining that they never stay on topic. Or going into S197 tech and complaining that their sigs are too big. These things should be expected when you go into a section under that name.

I appreciate your concern, but we aim to not put anyone else in danger when racing. Like I said in my post, we were 3 wide on the interstate and there was no one around. In my opinion, usually people who are racing are safer than 90% of other drivers on the road. When I race we make sure we are far from traffic, pay close attention to our cars and are completely focused on driving. Where as most people drive around while not paying attention, texting, putting on make up, reading the newspaper, getting dressed, drunk, focused more on the conversation with their friend or the music on the radio than the traffic around them.

It makes the whole "crack down" on street racing laughable in my opinion. Most of the accidents I have seen from racing were kids still in their teens who had no idea what a car felt like in triple digits or had alcohol involved. (I would also say that tougher laws on racing only motivate people to run if they get caught, which creates and even more dangerous situation. They know they are going to jail anyway and have a faster car than the police. In a sense you have nothing to loose at that point.)

Originally Posted by drhoward
Nice runs man
Thanks, hopefully I can get the videos soon.

Originally Posted by crash
Maybe I should get of this whole mustang thing and get a vette lol nice runs man. Is there any wheel hop in that beast?
I defiantly love the vette. I was slightly worried on the test drive. I have wanted a Z06 for the last decade and was wondering if it would live up to my dreams. I am happy to say that the car is just incredible. Not only is it everything I dreamed it would be, but it is even better.

I haven't experienced any wheel hop in it, it just liked to spin. On street tires, I can't go WOT at any speed in 1st. Even if I work my way into it from a 30 roll, it will be a full spin by 40 or so, then I shift and it spins again, lol. I usually go from a 40 roll and start in 2nd. I work into the peddle from second and usually don't spin at all unless I shift too hard in to 3rd it will spin a little, just at the beginning of 3rd. But no wheel hop.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:17 PM
drhoward
Penis Mod Erator

I raced a 3 at the track one time in my 94, he had a bit of work done to it but he was on my bumper the whole way down the track. They are quick little cars for what they are
Old 03-19-2012, 01:25 PM
buster
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
So, you're saying don't street race, right? That's cool, its a risk, no argument there, but I just want to make sure I'm clear about what you are trying to get across in the STREET/STRIP section...
No, I was saying that with probably every cop with access to a car out looking for drunks on that day, maybe street racing on St Paddys day isn't the wisest thing. Respond if you want, but I won't. I'm done with this retarded post. :-)
Old 03-19-2012, 01:41 PM
The Stig
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by perfect.disguise

Originally Posted by The Stig

Thanks man. Yeah those Speed3s are pretty quick. I think they run high 13s stock, and they are fwd. So on the highway they pull more like a low 13 sec car.

They trap a couple mph lower than a stock S197..
Maybe I was wrong saying they pull like a low 13 sec car on the highway. But the very fact that you are comparing a 2 door V8 muscle car to a 4 door 4 cylinder Japanese sedan says it all. I have a lot different standards for a car that is made to go fast compared to a car that is meant to be a good 4dr daily driver. So in my opinion, the Mazda speed 3 is pretty quick.

Originally Posted by perfect.disguise

Originally Posted by The Stig

With both cars in stock form I am trapping 4 mph or so faster than him. So it doesn't make any sense that I have an extra 40 rwhp or so more than stock, and he pulled out half a car up to 130.

Didn't you say you trapped 88mph in the 1/8? 87-90mph is pretty normal for as stock GT500.
Yes, I trapped 88 in the 1/8th. First time I drove the car and never felt like I got a good pass in, probably should be a few mph faster. But I also have added long tubes since then, which wake these cars up quite a bit. Both cars should trap around the same in the 1/8th but in the 1/4 the Z06 is about 4-5 mph faster. And that's stock, plus we were running from a 40 roll...

Lets be realistic, with both cars in stock form: the Z06 is faster 0-60, faster 0-100, faster 1/4 mile, faster trap speed and faster top speed. Then take into account the fact my car has an extra 30-40 rwhp over stock.

From what I have looked at, a '07-'09 GT500 with a pulley and tune traps around 122 mph. Which would be right around where I should be, and makes perfect sense when you consider how close we were up to 130.

Last edited by The Stig; 03-19-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:56 PM
S8ER01Z
6th Gear Member

Just looking at your mod list with a tune I would put you 380~390rwhp... maybe more maybe less but I think that's the range... I am hoping with 370ish without the 243s and have done a ton of digging and those are the numbers that come up a lot.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:00 PM
S8ER01Z
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by buster
I got pulled over in a parking lot in my gtp on st pattys day. Police were everywhere, maybe a bit of street racing wasn't very smart on this day?
So you got pulled over?? Were you speeding or just spot checks?

Why bother coming into a street racing thread and posting anything?? We know your position..unfortunately statistics don't support your argument at all... focus on all the drunks on the road...far more productive and actually worthwhile cause.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:54 PM
drhoward
Penis Mod Erator

I think that is what he was getting at, there is usually a larger than normal police presence on the road on St. Patricks day on a count of everyone being drunk everywhere on earth
Old 03-19-2012, 04:59 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

I think that is what he was getting at, there is usually a larger than normal police presence on the road on St. Patricks day on a count of everyone being drunk everywhere on earth

+1

Nice runs though
Old 03-19-2012, 05:12 PM
S8ER01Z
6th Gear Member

Maybe..he just has a anti-street racing view...so his posts are just wasted on most of us. We know the risks...we make the decisions... honestly street racing is 1000000% safer than the other things I do on a routine basis.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:23 PM
The Stig
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by S8ER01Z
Just looking at your mod list with a tune I would put you 380~390rwhp... maybe more maybe less but I think that's the range... I am hoping with 370ish without the 243s and have done a ton of digging and those are the numbers that come up a lot.
Yeah I would say that is about right. 385 is about the norm for other Z06s with my bolt ons.

Your getting 243s? Hopefully ported right?

Quick Reply: St. Patrick's Day Fun