Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

finally went drag racing last thurs nite

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 10:37 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

I'm pulling up 657'....pretty good DA. I'm thinking it could be in the tune as well.

What are stock 5.0s trapping? I was thinking they could trap 110 pretty easy?

I know its a dumb question and I'm not trying to insult your intelligence, but I have to ask...traction was off, right?
Old 04-17-2012, 10:50 PM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

lol yes sir tc was off and advancetrak was on sport mode. sport mode is tc off and advancetrak on lazy. will let you get the car sideways before stepping in and cutting power. the trap speeds is why i started this thread in the s197 section. ive seen videos of stock 5.0's going about the same e/t's and mph. but i just read a post on here where a guy in a 6m 5.0 with cai tune and headers went 13.4 at 114ish with a 2.4 60'. it was his first time too at a track. so i dont feel like there is anything wrong with the car just going to take some more seat time. but hey at least its fun seat time. ***** to the wall as fast as you can make it to the other end. time will tell and a new race tune or dyno tune is not to far off. thanks again for all you help tonight stone.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:34 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

Man, I wish I was against you on my first run vs yours, mine was a little bit faster on my first run ever at 14.66@ 99mph lol not bad for your first time! Addicting isn't it lol
Old 04-17-2012, 11:43 PM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

Oh yeah. Very addicting. Gonna be racing a lot from now on. Just wish there was a 1/4 mile track close to Nashville (less than a hr). But at least there is a 1/8 mile and that will get me used to launching and work on my 60' times.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:44 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

Originally Posted by shoeys08dkcandygt
Oh yeah. Very addicting. Gonna be racing a lot from now on. Just wish there was a 1/4 mile track close to Nashville (less than a hr). But at least there is a 1/8 mile and that will get me used to launching and work on my 60' times.
I drove about 2 hours to the track. Long *** drive home honestly. It well worth it
Old 04-17-2012, 11:49 PM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

I bet the ride home was long. Glad my uncle acts like he is my age and loves going to the drag strip. Free place to stay and make a weekend out of it. He lives in Memphis. 20min ride to the track.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:57 AM
97tplsGT
4th Gear Member

Dragtimes usually gives pretty accurate DA info. I actually have an app on my phone that has all the tracks on it and the temps, da, etc. Pretty slick.

As for your runs, not bad at all for your first trip out! The car still has at least another .5 in it, if not more. But that's not meant to discourage you at all. It's gonna take seat time to get the best out of your ride, plain and simple. Each and every pass will teach you something. You already seem to have a decent driver mod, pulling a 1.9 on street tires your first night at the track!

How were your shifts? Nice and easy...... any speed shifting.....? Id guess thats where you're losing a couple 1/10s at least. Once you get more and more comfortable, speed the shifts up, work your way up to a couple powershifts. Should start to see those et's dropoff!

Nice work op!
Old 04-18-2012, 06:17 AM
fordplay
1st Gear Member

Yeah you shift and floor it and it waits... then you yell ggggooo and it finally hits it. That my friend is totque managment ask ant camaro guy about it, it is a drag strip killer but its also a tire saver.. its designed to be gentle on the drive train. Id use it if i had forced induction on a stock drivetrain but thats it .. ok call up bama or brooksspeed tell them you want a 93 race tune if you dont write a message in here the next saying something like "omg my car tried it kill me! There is a demon under the hood" then something is wrong, ive used all the tunes and i swear youll notice
Old 04-18-2012, 08:36 AM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 97tplsGT
Dragtimes usually gives pretty accurate DA info. I actually have an app on my phone that has all the tracks on it and the temps, da, etc. Pretty slick.

As for your runs, not bad at all for your first trip out! The car still has at least another .5 in it, if not more. But that's not meant to discourage you at all. It's gonna take seat time to get the best out of your ride, plain and simple. Each and every pass will teach you something. You already seem to have a decent driver mod, pulling a 1.9 on street tires your first night at the track!

How were your shifts? Nice and easy...... any speed shifting.....? Id guess thats where you're losing a couple 1/10s at least. Once you get more and more comfortable, speed the shifts up, work your way up to a couple powershifts. Should start to see those et's dropoff!

Nice work op!
Thanks for compliment. I been wanting to go racing for a longtime. And mad now that I waited this long. Lol. Shifts were decently quick def no nice and easy shifts(except on first run) but no powershifting. Never tried so wasn't going to risk tearing something up. It is a daily driver and only car. Lol. and I'm def not discouraged. I knew I wasn't going to be a natural and do everything right the first time out. But I was surprised how many compliments my car and I got from other racers out there. Who were surprised to hear it was my first time. So more seat time will come every tues nite now. I'm hooked now and want to see what this car and I can do.
Nice times for ur 3.7 by the way. Impressive cars for sure.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:40 AM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by fordplay
Yeah you shift and floor it and it waits... then you yell ggggooo and it finally hits it. That my friend is totque managment ask ant camaro guy about it, it is a drag strip killer but its also a tire saver.. its designed to be gentle on the drive train. Id use it if i had forced induction on a stock drivetrain but thats it .. ok call up bama or brooksspeed tell them you want a 93 race tune if you dont write a message in here the next saying something like "omg my car tried it kill me! There is a demon under the hood" then something is wrong, ive used all the tunes and i swear youll notice
Exactly. The tune makes good HP bc thos thing screams at high speeds. But down low it seems like it trying to save other components. Thanks for all ur help explaining that its the tune and not my car. Does bama or brenspeed sell single tunes or do I have to buy 3?

Quick Reply: finally went drag racing last thurs nite