Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

finally went drag racing last thurs nite

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 09:17 AM
97tplsGT
4th Gear Member

I would also look into a John Lund tune as well, if you're 'shopping around' anyways. My dad is running his tunes on his procharged '11 gt, and seems to be pleased with it. Plus he also has the ghost cam tunes as well

These 3.7's are really impressive. I've hurt quite a few feelings in the first year of having it. It too gets quite a bit of attention at the tracks. Ive been asked if I was spraying, if it was the ecoboost motor, if it was a rebadged v8 (FOOLN YA on the plates, the kid thought I put 3.7 badges on a gt and thats what the plates meant, lol). It doesn't set the woods on fire, but it does pretty damn good with minimal mods. And the 29-30mpg, with 3.73s, is always a good thing!
Old 04-18-2012, 09:35 AM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

The 3.7's with the factory 2.73 gears are useless and all about mpgs. I bet yours pulls like hell with the 3.73's and def hurts some feelings on the street or at the track. And I've heard about lunds tunes. And I jave the steeda ghost cam tune now. It's cool but def not a daily driver tune.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:12 AM
97tplsGT
4th Gear Member

IIIIII wouldn't say useless. When I was bone stock with 2.73's I made a 13.78 @ 101 pass, on a 1.94 60' with the stock Pirellis. Got 32mpg on the 120mile trip to the track that day too! The 3.73's def helped out, lol. First gear is a little on the short side now, and 1-2 traction blows, but its fun anyways!

I saw your sig, thats why I threw Lunds ghost cam tune out there

edit: Ive heard that before, that those tunes aren't dd-friendly. Why is that exactly?
Old 04-18-2012, 10:26 AM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

I gotcha. Nice pass with the stock gears. How long have u been racing at tracks? Def got to get my 60' down to where u are. .
I have 3.73 too and last week the only time I spun off the line was the last pass. First and second gear used to get squirrelly on the streets. Not anymore and I haven't changed the way I drive for sure. But I am going to have Ford check the tsb for the rear diff puking fluid when it gets hot. There is a big wet spot on the housing and the axle and get them to add some fluid.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:58 AM
97tplsGT
4th Gear Member

I've only been running for a couple years now, on and off. I had a 97 vert, npi 2v, slow as *****, lol. Made a bunch of 1/8th mile passes in that. Besides that car, this is my first car with any kind of power. But, I have 60ish passes under my belt in this car, so thats why I say, it just takes a little seat time. I don't think Im a great driver, but I do happen to drive my car well. Guys like my dad and brother hop in anything and make it fly!

Hate dealing with dealerships, but if there is a tsb out, might as well get it checked out. I haven't heard about it, wonder if it applies to us 6er guys, since the rearends are the same as the gt's...... I do remember seeing a little 'vent' on the housing, I guess for moisture buildup? Wondering if that may be your wetspot... Either way hope it all checks out for ya.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:07 AM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

It's coming from the vent yes. Mine is pretty saturated. I'm with you on hating going to the dealership and o work for a land rover dealer. Lol
Old 04-18-2012, 11:43 AM
chub46
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by shoeys08dkcandygt
What were your et's the first time u went? I ask bc u and i pretty much have the same car with thr same mods. I was told my 60' were really good for my first time being on a track. But do u really think there is a half a sec being left out there that will come with practice. I raced a kid in a 01-02 gt with cai and o/r x pipe running with the engine light on bc it wasn't tuned and he Hung with me till the 1/8mile then when I hit the end of 3rd gear and all of 4th I pulled away from him. 2nd gear doesn't seem to pull real hard and when I bought the car u could light the tires up in 2nd and 3rd just by putting ur foot to the floor. Doesn't do that anymore and hasn't for a few months now. The HP shows on the top end for sure but I couldn't get any better than 8.5 secs at 84-86mph in the 1/8mile. Will try to take some pics of the time slips later and post them up so hopefully some of you guys can tell me what I'm doing wrong. First run yes I shifted just after 6k bc I was more worried about keeping eyes down the track. Last 7 passes I was shifting every gear at redline. Even hit the rev limited on the last pass and cut the fuel to the motor. Guess Gus st steeda sets the limit at 7300rpms. Can tell you that a couple of passes I felt like I was having a heart attack bc of the g force. Lol. Pretty neat feeling. Lol.
Shoeys, in my opinion, and this is only my opinion, save your money on the tunes. The tune you have from Steeda is a good tune and you can see mid 12s with it. There might be faster tunes out there but I believe all you need is to practice. My first time at the track was 1998 and I had a 95 Mustang GT and I don't remember my times. I just traded a 2008 Mustang Bullitt for the 2012 GT and my times with it the first time I took it out was 2.4 60' 14.2 et @ 105 mph bone stock. After a few time at the track I got my times down to 2.1 60' 13.5 et @ 106 mph still bone stock. Even though I thought I was shifting fast, my shifting was killing my times. Once I got over the fear of tearing up my trans my shifting improved and my times dropped. Your times are good, but I know with practice you can do better. March 25th was my first time at the track with the 2012 GT and my 4th and last run of the day was my best time so far and that was the 2.032 60' 12.655 et @ 112.96. I still need to work on my 60'. There was another 5.0 there with street tires and he managed a 1.9 60'. And if you are in sports mode both tc and advancetrak are in lazy mode. If you hit the tc button once, it turns off tc and leaves on advancetrak.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:20 PM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

Im going to stay with the steeda tunes for awhile. And see how I do with more seat time. If i want a dyno tune later this summer than ill just head back to Memphis and get Joe at Dynospeed to tune it or get bama to write me a race tune. Thanks for all the advise guys. Can't wait till next tues and more passes.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:50 PM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

Thanks. I learned something new. I thought sport mode turned off tc. Thank you. Also helps explain times
Old 04-18-2012, 01:24 PM
S8ER01Z
6th Gear Member

BS 5.0s run 11s stock.

Not bad times for first time out.. keep at it and you will get 12s easy.

Quick Reply: finally went drag racing last thurs nite