Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

'12 3.7l v6 vs '11 STi

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 12:57 PM
97tplsGT
4th Gear Member

Default '12 3.7l v6 vs '11 STi

Cruising down the road heading to the carwash today, I notice a white subie working his way through traffic to get to me. He starts getting next to me and I downshift and goose it, let him know what my intentions were. His were the same.

We gear down, Im in 2nd, he honks and we're off, but for a very short distance, only into 3rd a couple hundred rpm's. I kept a fender on him until we let out.

We take a right turn, and go from a 1st gear roll this time, about 20mph for me. 3honks, I pull a fender through 1st, through 2nd he's stopped my pull it seems, 3rd I got out another couple feet. 1/2 car or so.

We stop at a light, I tell'em nice car, he returns the compliment. I ask the year, he said 2011. Then he asks "Hey, is that a v8, or a ::gulp:: v6?" I smile and say its a v6. "Holy F*@k" is his response. I ask if wanted to head to the highway, and he obliges.

We could only go from a very high 2nd gear roll, about 5k or so for me. I honk it off, 3rd one we're gone! I instantly pull a 1/2car on the jump while he was waiting for his snail to wake up. Bang 3rd, and pull out another 1/4car. Hit 4th, and up to 110-115mph I inched it out to nearly a full carlength before we had to shut it down.

The car had temp tags on it, and sounded stock save for the relatively quiet bov I heard. I was pretty stoked. Dunno much about them, I now they're respectable in stock form. Nice kid, we exchanged thumbs up and headed about our way.

Thanks for looking!
Old 04-21-2012, 01:40 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Nice kills. Not surprised, I raced a stock one on the highway a couple weeks ago and he slowly pulled a couple fenders on me and I'm stock.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:57 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

very nice bro!! I wish I could have seen his face when you told him you had a 6er!
Old 04-21-2012, 01:59 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Dang, you did really well. I ran one on my wife's G35 from a stand still last year and got walked pretty good. Think the guy I ran had an exhaust mod or two, but still, sounds like you handled him quite nicely! I bet he was surprised to find out you were packing a 3.7, I know I would've been, lol.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:12 PM
89LX Coupe
4th Gear Member

Good run bro!! I know the new STI's have 300hp and a 6sp trans geared pretty well and it shouldn't have much turbo lag at all even more so from a roll. Killer runs and I know you was excited as hell!! Glad you got some good street action!
Old 04-21-2012, 02:41 PM
Bokeo
2nd Gear Member

Sweet kill man. Those cars are kinda pricey as well. Guess I'll have to be on my A game when I come across one
Old 04-21-2012, 04:04 PM
z28th1s
2nd Gear Member

Nice kill son!! Another car surprised by the ole 3.7!!
Old 04-21-2012, 04:41 PM
97tplsGT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 83gtragtop
Nice kills. Not surprised, I raced a stock one on the highway a couple weeks ago and he slowly pulled a couple fenders on me and I'm stock.
I was a little surprised. I knew they were 300ish hp, and run pretty good out the box.

Originally Posted by Soldier GT
very nice bro!! I wish I could have seen his face when you told him you had a 6er!
Just like all the others, big eyes and dropped jaws!

Originally Posted by Stone629
Dang, you did really well. I ran one on my wife's G35 from a stand still last year and got walked pretty good. Think the guy I ran had an exhaust mod or two, but still, sounds like you handled him quite nicely! I bet he was surprised to find out you were packing a 3.7, I know I would've been, lol.
It wasn't a cakewalk by any means. But he never got ahead, at any point. I feel if we kept going, we would have stalemated, or maybe I woulda pulled out another 1/2 through 5th. The only thing I heard was a bov, which was only loud when he let out of it at the end of the runs. Im curious as to the mods, if any.... 'Preciate it bud!

Originally Posted by 89LX Coupe
Good run bro!! I know the new STI's have 300hp and a 6sp trans geared pretty well and it shouldn't have much turbo lag at all even more so from a roll. Killer runs and I know you was excited as hell!! Glad you got some good street action!
Thanks bro! He was anxious as hell to pick a fight, that was for sure! Im sure you know how excited I was, my adrenaline was still full speed when I called you, lol.

Originally Posted by Bokeo
Sweet kill man. Those cars are kinda pricey as well. Guess I'll have to be on my A game when I come across one
Thank you sir! Yeah, they're on up there. As a car in general, they're pretty nice imo. And they run pretty damn good too! For that kinda money, not the car for me, but I like'm anyways!

Originally Posted by z28th1s
Nice kill son!! Another car surprised by the ole 3.7!!
Thankya!
Old 04-21-2012, 04:51 PM
89LX Coupe
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 97tplsGT

Thanks bro! He was anxious as hell to pick a fight, that was for sure! Im sure you know how excited I was, my adrenaline was still full speed when I called you, lol.

hahaha I could hardly ever have anyone that wanted to pick a fight like that with the ole Fox other than the GTO I ran back in August.

None the less I knew you was excited as hell during that call and I was tying not to laugh too loud beings I was in the middle of Arby's lol. Oh and you should of see the looks Jessica was giving me as I was talking to you hahaha a big ole WTF look
Old 04-21-2012, 05:32 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

I've read somewhere that the WRX is actually a little quicker to 60 than the STI. Something about the STI having a bigger turbo...makes sense.

Quick Reply: '12 3.7l v6 vs '11 STi