Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

First time ever drag racing

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 02:57 AM
Minion
2nd Gear Member

Default First time ever drag racing

Last Friday night I decided to take my 2011 GT manual up to the race track. I tried bracket racing for the first time ever. I don't think I did too bad at all. I ended up coming in 2nd place for the night. I lost my last race by jumping .008 too soon, I was pretty bummed out, but I think the other guy would of had me anyway. Below are my best times. I really think I have some room for improvement. (and if anybody can suggest my best first mod let me know) I'm thinking about a tuner and CAI combo.

Note I got these times with a few things against me:
It was on a hot night..about 88* if not more on the track
I'm in a convertible (more weight)
I'm a 295lb driver (even more weight)
First time ever racing at a track
Street tires
100% stock

My Best combined times:
60 foot: 2.20
330 feet: 5.73
1/8: 8.75
MPH: 83.91

All in all it was pretty awesome and I can't wait to go back.

I did had a lot of trouble adding too much power and spinning the tires WAY too much off the line. I need to work on that. That brings up another question. Traction control on or off when drag racing? I had it on all night.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:34 AM
97tplsGT
4th Gear Member

Not too bad! Pretty cool getting a trophy the first time ever at a track, lmao!

1) are you m6 or a6? a6-dont stall it up at the line, 'flash' the converter, meaning just stab the gas on the 3rd yellow. May have to pedal it, but it seems a lot of cars do better by not powerbraking off the line. Ive never raced an auto, so take this advice loosely. Im sure Mishiri will chime in on this.

m6- on street tires, you're gonna have to slip the clutch, plain and simple. Higher the launch, the more you're gonna slip it. Those 60ft's can use some help, get those down to 1.9-2.0 and your times will be looking real good.

2) as for the single best mod.... you're in the right direction thinking the cai/tune combo. They seem to do wonders for the 5ohs. IMO, the single best mod for racing would be a stickier tire. No real sense in throwing more power at it if you can't get it to the ground.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:11 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 97tplsGT
The single best mod for racing would be a stickier tire.
Bingo. The easiest option is a spare pair of rear rims with a drag radial or DOT slick that you can drive back and forth to the track on. Having the right tire will make it easier for you to figure out how to launch and will definitely get those 60' times down. Also, traction control: OFF.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:36 AM
okbfd
4th Gear Member

Congrats on a trophy your first time out. Best first mod.......practice J/K, a sticky tire as said with the kind of power the 5.0 puts down is right on, and yes intake and tune is usually right after that, followed by gears etc.....etc.....etc....as the mod bug bites.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:59 AM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

That 2.20 on the 60' could be better, a stock mustang should be in the 1.90 range, on stock tires. your either launching to hard or not launching hard enough. It takes practice to get the launch correct. Either way, it's fun to practice. I guess the tire could be another issue, a set of street/strip slicks are fun to own. i attached an example, pricey, but worth it.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...ith-17X45-And-
Old 07-22-2012, 02:13 PM
Explosive

as said try flashing instead of foot braking. and get a sticky tire for sure. pump up the fronts with air and don't go too low in the rear or you'll bog. I've gotten my car to run pretty damn consistently and if you're gonna bracket race I'd start there and see what you can do.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:56 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

First of all, congrats on winning a trophy your first time out!!

Second, if you intend to bracket race, you have GOT to get that car to hook. It's almost impossible to be consistent with a lot of wheelspin. If they're going to be track only tires, you might consider 15x10s with 26x10 Mickey Thompson ET Drags and a UPR swaybar relocation kit. It should dead hook like this.

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-r...on-kit-05.html

If it still spins, you can upgrade the shocks & control arms. It'll still have a decent ride and cornering ability, but it'll hook like glue.

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-q...-shock-05.html
http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-c...ackage-11.html

Last edited by UPRSharad; 07-24-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:45 PM
Minion
2nd Gear Member

Sorry for taking so long to respond. My post was moved to this section and I wasn't up to 50 posts yet so I couldn't reply.

I went racing again this past Saturday. I can't agree more that I NEED tires!!...I'm spinning all over the place. However, now if I get tires I actually run the risk of being "too fast" Then I will be required to have a roll-bar. I'm NOT doing that to my convertible....this is just fun for me. I might have to draw the line. But then again, I'm very curious how much good tires will help me. The rule is (I THINK) 8.60 or better in the 1/8th mile requires a roll bar....for convertibles.

So, now the good stuff, I went back with some upgrades and a tad bit more experence and my times were very noticeable.

My Best combined times first time racing (about 7 runs):
60 foot: 2.20
330 feet: 5.73
1/8: 8.75
MPH: 83.91

My Best time last Saturday all came from one run (out of 5 total) I had NO idea I would run that well and I broke out BIG TIME:
60 foot: 2.11
330 feet: 5.65
1/8: 8.52
MPH: 88.04

My upgrades/changes from my first week to last saturday: Bama race tune with 93 octane. Steeda CAI. Roush axel back exhaust, Traction control OFF and.....oh yeah, brand new engine. I had my old one replaced under warranty for spinning a barring. Assuming the engine part of this is even...the gains were still noticeable.

Time to check that rule and see if I can get some drag tires on this and see what it can really do

My other big change was my reaction time SUCKED the first time I went....a little gun shy at losing my first time for a fault. and I was more focused on not spinning and getting a good launch.

Last edited by Minion; 09-03-2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:17 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Congrats, thats impressive for your first time out.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:47 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

Trophy on 1st race try? Sweet ponies!

Quick Reply: First time ever drag racing