Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

2010 GT vs 2011 5.0/2005 GTO

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 12:39 AM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
From everything I've seen, it looks like the 3.7 and 3V are pretty even thru the 1/8th. The 3V just has a little more top end.
I'd have to disagree with you. The 3v has a distinct advantage down low in my opinion. But once we get to higher speeds, I think the advantage mostly goes away (mainly because of gearing).

My best friend has a '07 Shelby GT which comes stock with 3.55's and a Ford Racing CAI & tune. In addition he has JBA shorties, JBA midpipe and Magnaflow axle backs. My 3.7L is a 6M with 2.73's and no straight line performance mods.

We've had quite a few races but I think the races that are the most telling are our 10-110 mph rolls. The results are very consistent. Though the first two gears he will pull to about a 1/2 car between my front bumper and his rear (so 1.5 car advantage). Once I hit third I slow his pull to the point where it's not very noticeable at all. Once we hit 95ish his car pulls a bit more to the point where he has about a car length ahead at 110 (2 car advantage).

With his mods, he has a distinct power advantage and a lot more low end pull. My big advantage is a shorter third gear, as well as about 150lb less curb weight (estimate). Drivers are equal weight.

Haven't had a chance to race his bolt-on Mach but I'd guess it might be slightly closer down low but I think I wouldn't slow his pull in 3rd gear.

Last edited by 83gtragtop; 01-23-2013 at 12:44 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:55 PM
CubanoGT
2nd Gear Member

I had a run the other day with what I thought was a 5.0... The amount of space I put was so big... Wasn't until I slowed down and he flew by that I noticed the gt side emblems he's car sounded nice tho..
Old 01-28-2013, 06:47 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 83gtragtop
I'd have to disagree with you. The 3v has a distinct advantage down low in my opinion. But once we get to higher speeds, I think the advantage mostly goes away (mainly because of gearing).

My best friend has a '07 Shelby GT which comes stock with 3.55's and a Ford Racing CAI & tune. In addition he has JBA shorties, JBA midpipe and Magnaflow axle backs. My 3.7L is a 6M with 2.73's and no straight line performance mods.

We've had quite a few races but I think the races that are the most telling are our 10-110 mph rolls. The results are very consistent. Though the first two gears he will pull to about a 1/2 car between my front bumper and his rear (so 1.5 car advantage). Once I hit third I slow his pull to the point where it's not very noticeable at all. Once we hit 95ish his car pulls a bit more to the point where he has about a car length ahead at 110 (2 car advantage).

With his mods, he has a distinct power advantage and a lot more low end pull. My big advantage is a shorter third gear, as well as about 150lb less curb weight (estimate). Drivers are equal weight.

Haven't had a chance to race his bolt-on Mach but I'd guess it might be slightly closer down low but I think I wouldn't slow his pull in 3rd gear.
The 3.7 and 3V are an interesting comparison. With totally different gearing, different power curves, but basically having the same body and peak power makes them a tough duo to compare. Your buddy's Shelby is basically a tuned 3V, which puts him well ahead in power and all that good stuff. My tuned/geared/intake/pulley 3V ran 13.1 at 107-108 most days. I think I hit a 13.0 in that car once or twice, but for the most part it was a low 13 car. A stock 3.55 geared 05 or 3.27 (or 3.31 whatever it was) geared stock 3V is going to be a high 13 car at under 105, assuming decent driver. I know some have done better, but hopefully nobody will start on that subject, lol. From what I have seen, quite a few 3.7s are running really high 13s at 100-103 stock. 97 has been low 13s in his bolt-on/geared/tuned 3.7, but his traps are not the 107-108 my 3V ran with basically the same mods he had on those runs. Looks like the 3.7 has such an aggressive 1st gear that its able to launch pretty decent assuming traction, but falls short in trap compared to a 3V. I don't know if all that makes sense..just so much info to mention when comparing these two cars that its hard to sum it up in just a couple paragraphs.

His Mach should pull harder up top than that Shelby if he is pretty good with it. It takes a certain kind of driver to get the most of it, but those 4Vs pull pretty decent when driven right. Mine would yank my 3V up top pretty hard every time. Hit a few 110 traps with it on 4.10 gears and ORX/cat-back.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:44 AM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
The 3.7 and 3V are an interesting comparison. With totally different gearing, different power curves, but basically having the same body and peak power makes them a tough duo to compare. Your buddy's Shelby is basically a tuned 3V, which puts him well ahead in power and all that good stuff. My tuned/geared/intake/pulley 3V ran 13.1 at 107-108 most days. I think I hit a 13.0 in that car once or twice, but for the most part it was a low 13 car. A stock 3.55 geared 05 or 3.27 (or 3.31 whatever it was) geared stock 3V is going to be a high 13 car at under 105, assuming decent driver. I know some have done better, but hopefully nobody will start on that subject, lol. From what I have seen, quite a few 3.7s are running really high 13s at 100-103 stock. 97 has been low 13s in his bolt-on/geared/tuned 3.7, but his traps are not the 107-108 my 3V ran with basically the same mods he had on those runs. Looks like the 3.7 has such an aggressive 1st gear that its able to launch pretty decent assuming traction, but falls short in trap compared to a 3V. I don't know if all that makes sense..just so much info to mention when comparing these two cars that its hard to sum it up in just a couple paragraphs.

His Mach should pull harder up top than that Shelby if he is pretty good with it. It takes a certain kind of driver to get the most of it, but those 4Vs pull pretty decent when driven right. Mine would yank my 3V up top pretty hard every time. Hit a few 110 traps with it on 4.10 gears and ORX/cat-back.
I agree, there are so many factors. My car is also a little softer down low because I don't have 3.73's like '97 does. So even though I have a shorter 1st gear than a 3v, I'm at a dissadvantage when it comes to the rear gear. Third gear is where gearing starts to working in my favor.

If I remember correctly, I think a geared 3.7L's can't run out 3rd gear and have to shift to 4th to finish the quarter, which hurts trap ('97 or his dad can correct me on this). I also think its hard to compare quarter statistics on the two cars because the sample size of track times for the 3.7L is miniscule compared to the 3v. But it's still the best comparison we have. I'd say my buddy has about 4mph on me when we hit around 110mph.

Last edited by 83gtragtop; 01-29-2013 at 12:52 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:00 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

It's funny... my first 2+ years here it seemed like I was in daily arguments about DA.. now it seems like everyone else is being the DA cheerleader yay!

ahh how times change over 5 years...

Also, Someone needs to get Morbid Intentions in here STAT! OP's video... LOL! it would be fun to see what he has to say about it.

You guys remember those youtube arguments he was having with those grand prix GTP owners? pretty similar.

maybe this summer I should make a Speed-o vid at 7,000ft real elevation + 3,000 more for DA, a 45mph headwind and see how I stack up against the OP

Last edited by Mishri; 01-29-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:02 PM
z28th1s
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 83gtragtop
I agree, there are so many factors. My car is also a little softer down low because I don't have 3.73's like '97 does. So even though I have a shorter 1st gear than a 3v, I'm at a dissadvantage when it comes to the rear gear. Third gear is where gearing starts to working in my favor.

If I remember correctly, I think a geared 3.7L's can't run out 3rd gear and have to shift to 4th to finish the quarter, which hurts trap ('97 or his dad can correct me on this). I also think its hard to compare quarter statistics on the two cars because the sample size of track times for the 3.7L is miniscule compared to the 3v. But it's still the best comparison we have. I'd say my buddy has about 4mph on me when we hit around 110mph.
We both have 3.73's and we definitely use 4th gear in the 1/4 mile.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:23 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mishri
It's funny... my first 2+ years here it seemed like I was in daily arguments about DA.. now it seems like everyone else is being the DA cheerleader yay!

ahh how times change over 5 years...

Also, Someone needs to get Morbid Intentions in here STAT! OP's video... LOL! it would be fun to see what he has to say about it.

You guys remember those youtube arguments he was having with those grand prix GTP owners? pretty similar.

maybe this summer I should make a Speed-o vid at 7,000ft real elevation + 3,000 more for DA, a 45mph headwind and see how I stack up against the OP
Ah, 'Ol Morbid. Miss having him around. Is he banned or something?

Mishri, man I don't think anyone ever argued that DA is a major factor. It is. It's posting DA corrected ETs that stirred up muddy water, lol...dammit, we made it over a year without bringing up this **** IIRC
Old 01-30-2013, 09:46 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

He stopped coming around when he lost his moderator status. He must have got his feelers hurt.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:38 PM
S8ER01Z
6th Gear Member

The only issues I remember regarding DA was the 'I ran a 12.5 @ 7000ft so that means I run 10s at sea level' line of thinking.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:25 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

not that extreme. 13.3 i believe corrected to 12.7, and I said i'd likely run high 12s. it may have been that time I ran a 13.5 and corrected to a 12.9.. I can't remember. It wasn't like it was even that far fetched, what got everyone all in a frenzy was at the time most people weren't running high 12s with minor bolt-ons on the 3 valve. (I had cai+tune UDPS, CMDP, 4.10 gears) or maybe it was my stock tires at the time. then i posted others who had run high 12s on stock tires with bolt-ons... etc.. so went around and around.

also, I have a high 11 second car now

Quick Reply: 2010 GT vs 2011 5.0/2005 GTO