Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

'12 3.7l v6 VS H/C/I 347 Fox

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 09:00 PM
97tplsGT
4th Gear Member

Default '12 3.7l v6 VS H/C/I 347 Fox

I got a message on FB from a guy saying that his buddy wanted to run me. He didn't know the mods, just that it was a foxbody and it was "built". So, of course, I was down for it, can't win'em all, right?

So we meet up, and I starting plucking away. Asked the guy about it, "just a cam in it". Asked about the heads, he tried to shy away from the question but he finally told me it had 205 Twisted Wedge heads, a 671lift cam, and 1000cfm carb (didn't mention brand). C4 auto with 4.11's and 4600stall. On street tires.

The dig run was a MASSIVE fail on my part. I was on street rubber, and got broadside on the launch. I guess I knocked it out of first/missed second, something happened, but when I got it back in, it spun so I just let out.

I asked for some roll runs, so we went from a low low 1st gear roll. I ended up pulling 3/4 car up to 100-110. He asked for another, we go on 3, and the race was identical through 1st into 2nd, but as soon as he got into 2nd good he started walking. Kinda perplexed me how there was a ~4 car difference between runs. Him and the passenger claim it was spinning horribly the 1st run, and it spins worse from a roll then a dig...

I still have my head held high though. I got 1 out of 3 against a built c4 347 fox, and only lost by ~3 cars on the other roll.

If you will fellas, please take a close look at the 2 roll races. Do you really think he was spinning so bad the first roll? He has a little wiggle, but so did I. I'm not trying to assume anything, but the 2 runs were T-totally different.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:35 PM
MZRSPEED3
2nd Gear Member

Did you ever see under his hood? I gotta think he sprayed on the second roll, him not spinning wouldn't have anything to do with how he pulled once you got moving. The first roll after the "wiggle", you two stayed pretty close, second run he really opened the gap...idk, i'm sure somebody else can can give a better explanation, just my 2/10th's of a dime.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:34 PM
z28th1s
2nd Gear Member

You got sprayed son!!!!!

As MZRSPEED3 said after the two cars settled down on the first run you slowly crept away, on the second run he walked away pretty good. That didn't have anything to do with spinning.

I think he though he had you covered on motor and after the first run he found out if he wanted to win he was going to have to spray you.

The old 3.7 did VERY well!! BTW, daylight video FTW!!

You need to put your brother on finding out all the details on the Fox, he is like a blood hound on that stuff. He will get to the bottom of it!!
Old 05-12-2013, 11:33 PM
89LX Coupe
4th Gear Member

Yea bro you got sprayed..... after listening to the video on my big speakers you can hear in the last run a second after he hooks up in 2nd the sound of the motor picks on up unlike it did in the 1st roll run. Get that ported intake on your car and get the drag radials mounted up and go call him back out lol.

But I'll definitely see what i can figure out about the car in the next few days
Old 05-13-2013, 02:59 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

That humungus stall might have been hurting him without the spray. I went with a 3800 stall and my builder warned that the car might feel a little slugish with out the nitrous.

Last edited by bluebeastsrt; 05-14-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:03 AM
MZRSPEED3
2nd Gear Member

You know if you set up another run, and he knows your going to be on slicks and have another mod or two, he will be on a bigger shot, and will be spraying from the get go.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:33 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

I agree with everyone else. Sneaky foxes...also agree that stall is way over kill for his set up and is probably hurting more than its helping. A 3200-3600 would be more than enough. Good run though, like Pops stated, your 3.7 did very well!
Old 05-15-2013, 09:29 PM
97tplsGT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MZRSPEED3
You know if you set up another run, and he knows your going to be on slicks and have another mod or two, he will be on a bigger shot, and will be spraying from the get go.
Well, that's the name of the game isn't it? I'm still not for sure he sprayed me, so I'm not saying it, but I will insinuate(sp) it! I'll get him to the track so I have a small chance on the tree at least.

Originally Posted by Stone629
I agree with everyone else. Sneaky foxes...also agree that stall is way over kill for his set up and is probably hurting more than its helping. A 3200-3600 would be more than enough. Good run though, like Pops stated, your 3.7 did very well!
You're the one I was waiting for Stone, you seem to pick stuff apart pretty easily, lol. So you think he hit the button on me? I'm starting to think, after watching the vid 100x, that he sprayed both from the dig and the second roll, maybe it didn't activate for the first roll? Who knows, I'm sure I'll never know the whole story.

All this being said, I hope that he DIDN'T spray me, for the sake of his engine builder, lol. A built 347, to those specs especially, should not be losing to my car, no matter how bad it spins really.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:02 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Exactly what I was thinking..a correctly built NA 347 alone should be able to pull you, but if he is built around that bottle, that would explain a lot. Either way, it looked like his car was either ON or OFF, makes me wonder if his nitrous was having some technical difficulty, lol. Wish people would just be straight up from the get-go instead of BSing..
Old 05-16-2013, 03:31 AM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Judging from the first roll to the second, it definitely looks like sprayed. But at the same time, a fox with those mods, running correctly, should trap close to 10mph faster than you and be well into the 11's. So looking at the second run by itself, the results would make sense on motor. Nice to see another four eyed fox body.