Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

'13 5.0 VS 03/04 SVT Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 10:39 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Default '13 5.0 VS 03/04 SVT Cobra

Really wish I had a camera for this, haha, kicking myself still.

For people that don't know, I have a 2013 GT now...

Name:  IMG_1399_zpsc1e8a7a4.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  62.7 KB

Driving to work, I'm cruising 5 under the limit, enjoying dat 26/27mpg 420hp.... And see this black SVT cobra coming up in the left lane.

I've read about the new 5.0's vs the ol' SVT cobras, and have been curious how it would go down at my elevation..

So I jump over into the left lane, in 4th, and give it some gas, nothing crazy though. No bite, he just putts along. So I'm like "meh" and get back over.

all a sudden he takes off, puffing black smoke out of the exhaust (like a rich tune/turbo crap tune stuff) Blower sounded like a eaton, and it was loud. So it atleast had a few mods.

I give chase, but we hit traffic. Play cat and mouse until we can get clear of traffic. I drop it down into 3rd, about 3500rpm, and hold it for a sec next to him, then lead foot it. I get the jump, he stomps it about the time my back tire is at his bumper I would guess.

I pull about half a length on him before I see him stop my pull, and JUST start to creep on me before we have to shut it down.

Little more down the road, we get space, we both slow down, 3rd gear, 4,000rpm, I honk it off.

Side note, I think that was the first time I've ever honk'ed for a race. It's always just being retards and someone stabbing the throttle first in every street race I've been in....

ANYWAY, we both take off, I'm in the meat of my powerband. Somehow, I get the jump on the guy, (what I mean is roots blower vs N/A, I would think he would jump ahead strait away from the instant torque) I pull a 1/2 length before he stops my pull, and creeps on me, I slam 4th and stop his creepin' for a split second, but then he creeps on past, and pulls about a half to full length on me before we have to shut them down again.

We exchanged big thumbs up, and huge grins and went on our way.

The cobra was modded for sure. Not sure about the black smoke. I know some tunes have supercharged cars/turbo cars just puff smoke from time to time.... or if he had a BAD tune, and was down on power....

but that being said, I am very impressed with my car. 100% stock, just ticked over 1,000 miles, and keeping up with a modded SVT cobra at my elevation (naturally aspirated VS forced induction is NOT a fair game up here at 5500ft)

intake/exhaust/tune and I would have been pulling on him for sure.

Loving this car
Old 05-22-2013, 05:46 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Congrats. Shes a beauty. The grabber blue has always ben my favorite color on those cars.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:21 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Ugh. I want one so bad
Old 05-22-2013, 07:22 AM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

nice run man, the black smoke was just clearing the exhaust I'd think.

as to you jumping out on him, maybe he spun? chose the wrong gear to start?
Old 05-22-2013, 07:49 AM
S8ER01Z
6th Gear Member

Nice run...beautiful car man.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:54 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Nice runs, congrats on your purchase …… suppose the fox got put on the backburner now huh. Lol don't blame you at all, nice color.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:49 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
Congrats. Shes a beauty. The grabber blue has always ben my favorite color on those cars.
Grabber blue at first I thought was kinda a douche color. Just to get attention, but now It's my favorite color they offer other then the grey one. It does get a ton of attention though, this car gets 10x's the looks as my fox.

Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT
Ugh. I want one so bad
much nicer car then I thought. All the little features on the 2013's is amazing.

Originally Posted by Stkjock
nice run man, the black smoke was just clearing the exhaust I'd think.

as to you jumping out on him, maybe he spun? chose the wrong gear to start?
good point. being on the highway, he probably hadn't nailed the throttle at all, and when he did it blew out all the ****.

maybe he picked the wrong gear, it would be logical since the 2013 pulls hard from 3500 or 4000 on up which is where I started both times. Long gears though, I have 3.31's.

Originally Posted by S8ER01Z
Nice run...beautiful car man.
Thanks bud! I'm loving this thing more and more.... need's exhaust though, can't even hear it idle if you stand 15 feet from the rear of the car.

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch
Nice runs, congrats on your purchase …… suppose the fox got put on the backburner now huh. Lol don't blame you at all, nice color.
Fox is on the back burner, and still fighting with the idea of selling it...

the money from the fox would be good to add to the savings I have put away for our next house, and a little mod money for the 2013.

exhaust, intake, tune, sticky tires, and a 100 shot is my plans for this one.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:07 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

The black puff is from the accel fuel. Like an accelerator pump on a carb, EFI has a series of algorithms collectively called accel fuel. Adds additional fuel on top of the base fuel based on sets of parameters (throttle position, rate of throttle change, rate of manifold pressure change, rpm etc).

It's not uncommon for performance cars to spit out a black puff when stabbing the throttle (such as on an upshift). Some new cars do it from the factory. It just depends on what the engine wants on throttle transition.

It could indicate a bad tune, or it could be perfectly normal...no way to know without looking at a data log.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:43 PM
Explosive

Nice rob, had no idea you got a new car do you still have the fox ?
Old 05-22-2013, 09:46 PM
Force4
3rd Gear Member

wow man nice new stang you got now! Nice race also!

Quick Reply: '13 5.0 VS 03/04 SVT Cobra