Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

12.1@112mph.. 2.4 60 ft!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 08:14 PM
S8ER01Z
6th Gear Member

It's funny.. I was actually 'upset' that I need a trans rebuild and I just hit 168K.. Lol. I can have the whole thing done and upgraded for 1K. I don't miss automatics at all.

Do you have options for building the trans to take that kind of power?
Old 05-27-2013, 10:01 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Tell me about it. I made it shift like a granny on meth at poker game, but wow she sure get's hot under the pressure!

I have a few options on built transmission's but they're not cheap and I don't trust myself to build up a NAG1 without expert guidance. I built up some older Ford auto transmissions but the NAG1 kinda intimidates me.

Honestly, I think the stock components are showing their wear already. The intake and exhaust manifolds are suspect at this point. The cats are there right after, if they're still good that is. I believe they're the cast iron crap manifolds we see on most cars.. you know the kind. Brown, looks like crap, retains a lot of heat, you can see the crease where it was heated together lol
Old 05-28-2013, 07:13 AM
S8ER01Z
6th Gear Member

So it begins.. lmao.. enjoy the journey. Yeah you need some good headers now...

I remember the cast crap well... I ended up catless in the end.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:19 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
lol Ditto.. I am tech for work. Funny how we loose focus on our own car, while maintaining 100% on customers cars!

I am not sure what the trans actually needs since even a 20 minute cool down does not help. I have a 3500 stall , upgraded valve body, Mopar SRT-8 TCM and electronic shift kit with trans shift boosted to max, but those only help with making the stock trans perform at a higher level. It has nothing to do with helping it cool it down nor lessen the cool down time.

I am afraid I am at mercy with I have to work with at this point. I have no more funds to spare. I am mechanically inclined but that's only one part of the equation. A blower on stock everything else has it's toll. I guess I found it's limitations...
Your gonna have to go old school on the cooling. Get the biggest trans cooler you can find. My build put a cooler on my C4 that was half the size of my radiator and had it's own fan, The thing is huge. This still may not be enough to save the stock parts from the abuse. Remember how I used to **** and moan about clutch's and input shafts on blue.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:46 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by S8ER01Z
So it begins.. lmao.. enjoy the journey. Yeah you need some good headers now...

I remember the cast crap well... I ended up catless in the end.

holy smokes look at those manifolds! About as bad as mine I bet~!

Trying to enjoy the journey lol I'd rather have it how it was a week ago though

My right cat is now making springy noises on rev. The guts are most likely loose and clogging things up real nice for me.

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
Your gonna have to go old school on the cooling. Get the biggest trans cooler you can find. My build put a cooler on my C4 that was half the size of my radiator and had it's own fan, The thing is huge. This still may not be enough to save the stock parts from the abuse. Remember how I used to **** and moan about clutch's and input shafts on blue.
I may have to do just that. Then undo it during our long harsh winters...

you're not joking about the problems with the Skittle. I had my own share of the same issues on mine as well. What an ordeal that was! lol
Old 05-28-2013, 04:39 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Time to build it bigger, better and stronger. Gonna pull the valve covers, check the springs, rocker arms and valves in the AM. I suspect issues but we'll see. The rods are surprisingly good til 650hp, the piston tops are suspect and hypereutectics.. no smoke on start up but a compression test is good if only for peace of mind and the OCD.

Modding at it's best. I am on my vacation til the 9th and working on my car. Go figure... nothing else in the world I'd rather be doing lol
Old 05-28-2013, 04:50 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

good luck bro.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:30 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Thanks

Pretty sure it's a simple solution. I guess that's what happens when you strap on a 2.3 liter blower onto a otherwise stock car and expect everything else to survive lol

It makes so much sense that the times were rising more and more now. I just thought it was heatsoak... I didn't even suspect it being anything else. Maybe the trans, but the exhaust was the last on my mind...

Last edited by stealth_GT; 05-29-2013 at 01:32 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:38 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Just for shiets and giggles before heading off to the shop to pick up some tools..

I cranked the motor and let her run for a moments, went to the muffers and did some very crude exhaust testing. First did the dollar against the muffler trick to test the valves.. passed as it flapped in the wind. Listened for hiss or ticks, nadda.

Tested the pressure from one muffler vs the other. Just as I thought. The right side is a faint flow/puff vs the left sides healthy puff/flow.

Bad news is I am out $500-600 either way, since one new catted mid pipe is $650/shipped vs $550 for two high flow catted JBA ones. I might just gut them both out, throw them back on and run it with the o2s turned off.

Pretty sure the resonators and mufflers won't like that very much, nor my neighbors with their windows open with a two year old, huffing on all that gas lol
Old 05-30-2013, 03:52 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Got the pipe off and it instantly stabilized the idle. Sounds like crap! I cracked it just enough to let the gas escape but also enough to keep the front o2's happy.

Did a quick datalog while waking up the entire neighborhood.. looks like things are looking much better without the restriction according to the logs.

I actually mind end up getting exhaust cut outs later on.. sounds kinda bad *** and that's just one pipe lol