Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Spend Money, Win Plastic

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 12:42 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Default Spend Money, Win Plastic

I finally got a chance to put my new G-Force T-5 upgrade/swap to the test. After 3 weeks of delays, going about 35% over budget, missing out on the spring weather, the forecast was for sun. I made plans to attend the Ford & Mustang Show & Go at Englishtown on Saturday this past weekend. I entered the trophy class and she ran and shifted beautifully. Amazing how much better you can drive when you aren’t worrying about how hard its going to be to get in the next gear. Since I only had a few pounds of nitrous and my shop was all out I left the DR’s home and dialed in on the motor alone, keeping the nitrous in reserve. Long story short I cut some great lights (ok, one lucky .006) and went the 3 rounds needed to win the class. Knocked off two non-Termi Cobra’s in the semi’s & finals which was cool, even if it is handicapped racing. Cut a .028 light in the final, then spun the tires and decided I better hit the cheater juice – shifted 2nd, flipped the switch for the juice, grabbed 3rd switched off boost, at least I think that’s how it went down. Grabbed 4th around 1000’ with the Cobra closing fast. It was going to be real close but decided not to go back to the bottle and risk breaking out. I thought I crossed the line first, and hoped i hadn't broken out. I didn't and took the win with a MOV of .0852. Running a 15.204 on my 15.00 dial vs the Cobra's 13.367 on a 13.29 dial in and respectable .240 light. Got me a nice plastic trophy. Reminds me a little of pumping money into an arcade game to win toy you could go out and buy for a fraction of the money:-)
Island Dragway is reopening which is a lot closer to me so hopefully I can get some regular passes on the bottle and see how all my 'new' mods work out now that I can shift. I haven't power shifted it yet but its pretty much begging for it. I just have to shake my lingering fear after shifting the old truck box as it went to crap the last few years - had 165k on it after all. All the input shaft gear teeth were chipped or broken and the synchros were shot.