Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

two kills today! lookin for a third and fourth this weekend!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 03:43 PM
SubTexel
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by YoungBlood
On paper the 3v is faster (13.3 vs a 13.7 1/4) and both 0-60's on paper are the same almost, but honestly with a couple bolts on to either, as you proved, it can be a drivers race!
Where are these low 13 stock 3vs you speak of?
Old 08-02-2013, 05:57 PM
YoungBlood
1st Gear Member

I drove a couple of the new v6's, and I felt like it just didn't have the snap that the 3v v8 had, they pull great up top but they feel meh up until 4k rpms (the tall factory gearing is probably to blame, that's why I said with gears in my mind it would be almost dead even) but I still think the 3v has a slight edge stock for stock and it's been proven. but factor in drivers, and as soon as you start modding that edge is gone for either. Like I said, I was very close to buying one. I will only save 3-4k by the end (a new v6 base can be had for like 19k ish, and I'd save around 1k in gas over the 60 months of my loan from the v6 vs my v8) from buying mine, but if I hadn't gotten the deal I got I would have gone with a new v6, because a low miles GT like mine around here goes for close to 17k (I picked mine up for 13,800) otherwise the price would have been almost even, and the v6 would have been the better choice warranty, and gas mileage wise it would have been the same cost. Regardless I think I got a smokin deal for a car with only 30k miles on it, $1000 wheels, and summer tires, plus brand new stock pirellis with stock wheels that were never even used, and leather, the shaker 1000, etc for being 19, not such a bad car and my payments are under 200 a month with my down payment, I could have never done that with a v6. Here's a vid that shows how close they are stock and how with manuals and driver mod, or any little bolt on the gap could be closed or opened a little. (not the best video but it gives out a good idea)

Now I gotta go add some longtubes, gears and a tuner so I can actually open the gap on these new v6's I have yet to race one or even see one around here really. Everyone has Camaro's, and there's 2 3v shelby's and a roush, as well as a couple 5.0's around here but not many of the new v6 stangs. There's a GTR, a new M5, and a viper that all cruise around here too, there're some rich neighborhoods right up the street from me!

On another note, my friends dad has a 99 lightning f150 with only 7k miles on it, he's trying to get his dad to let him take it to the track and race me. I think we'd be about dead even, with his SC making his have a slight edge at our altitude being over a mile up

Last edited by YoungBlood; 08-02-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:50 AM
z28th1s
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by YoungBlood
I drove a couple of the new v6's, and I felt like it just didn't have the snap that the 3v v8 had, they pull great up top but they feel meh up until 4k rpms (the tall factory gearing is probably to blame, that's why I said with gears in my mind it would be almost dead even) but I still think the 3v has a slight edge stock for stock and it's been proven. but factor in drivers, and as soon as you start modding that edge is gone for either. Like I said, I was very close to buying one. I will only save 3-4k by the end (a new v6 base can be had for like 19k ish, and I'd save around 1k in gas over the 60 months of my loan from the v6 vs my v8) from buying mine, but if I hadn't gotten the deal I got I would have gone with a new v6, because a low miles GT like mine around here goes for close to 17k (I picked mine up for 13,800) otherwise the price would have been almost even, and the v6 would have been the better choice warranty, and gas mileage wise it would have been the same cost. Regardless I think I got a smokin deal for a car with only 30k miles on it, $1000 wheels, and summer tires, plus brand new stock pirellis with stock wheels that were never even used, and leather, the shaker 1000, etc for being 19, not such a bad car and my payments are under 200 a month with my down payment, I could have never done that with a v6. Here's a vid that shows how close they are stock and how with manuals and driver mod, or any little bolt on the gap could be closed or opened a little. (not the best video but it gives out a good idea)
2010 Mustang GT vs. 2011 Mustang V6 - YouTube

Now I gotta go add some longtubes, gears and a tuner so I can actually open the gap on these new v6's I have yet to race one or even see one around here really. Everyone has Camaro's, and there's 2 3v shelby's and a roush, as well as a couple 5.0's around here but not many of the new v6 stangs. There's a GTR, a new M5, and a viper that all cruise around here too, there're some rich neighborhoods right up the street from me!

On another note, my friends dad has a 99 lightning f150 with only 7k miles on it, he's trying to get his dad to let him take it to the track and race me. I think we'd be about dead even, with his SC making his have a slight edge at our altitude being over a mile up
Just remember the GT in the video you posted is a 2010, which has 315 HP. The '05-'09 GT's only had 300 HP.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:42 AM
YoungBlood
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SubTexel
Where are these low 13 stock 3vs you speak of?
I'm just going off the numbers I've seen for tests, real world times tell a different story most of the time, more like mid to upper 13's with an average to good driver, regardless, it's almost dead even and to call one faster than the other is just stupid imo, I was just saying on paper it's tested by a mgazine with a pro driver to be slightly faster, real world is much more even. Here's just 2 of the sources I'm siting for 13.3-13.5 for 3v's and 13.7 for 3.7's

http://www.mustangcult.com/2009/05/f...14-mile-times/
http://www.zeroto60times.com/Ford-0-60-mph-Times.html

they all show the 3v is SLIGHTLY faster not saying it kills a 3.7 by any means, I haven't run mine at a track yet and I'm at 4300 ft soo not sure how I'll do yet, the 14th I will be hittin up the strip

Originally Posted by z28th1s
Just remember the GT in the video you posted is a 2010, which has 315 HP. The '05-'09 GT's only had 300 HP.
the 2010 also weighed at least 80 lbs more even though it had the extra 15 hp

Anyone wanna come to Utah and race me stock for stock with a 3.7? then we can settle this! lol
Old 08-04-2013, 04:25 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

My stock GT automatic trans ran 13.90 at the track back when I first got it. A cai and brenspeed tune netted 13.43
Old 08-04-2013, 05:44 PM
YoungBlood
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
My stock GT automatic trans ran 13.90 at the track back when I first got it. A cai and brenspeed tune netted 13.43
come buy my Jeep so I can get a tuner! I'm trying to get $6000 out of it... If I do some go fast parts will need to be ordered!