Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Kerns vs OKBFD Part 2

Old 12-04-2013, 11:51 PM
TCStangerv6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kerns
No videos this time unfortunately since it was just OKBFD and I. I am trying not to do any mods to the vette. Although, it doesn't look that difficult if I were to, but you work on these cars far more than I ever will. If I do anything I'll probably just throw a vortech on there and call it a day. I figure I can piece one together for around 3k.
I've got a ysi for that vette I'll sell you cheap .
Old 12-05-2013, 08:18 AM
Kerns
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ctgreddy
Things like that aren't all too bad. but if you have a manual car, a clutch is the worst job on the whole car, prolly the worst car to put a clutch in period lol. The other pain is if you cam it you have to remove the steering rack, not bad on a hoist but would be quite a pain in a garage floor.
Thanks for the heads up. It is a manual and now I am definitely not looking forward to having to put in a new clutch when the time comes. Its a long way off though (car has 3k miles on it currently). I figure upgrades I will need to do with the supercharger would be half shafts and clutch. Stock bottom end should be good with around 600rwhp correct?
Old 12-05-2013, 02:33 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

my stock 2011 Corvette
now I have to go find the ban stick.....
Old 12-05-2013, 03:37 PM
Kerns
4th Gear Member

Because of the car or because its stock?
Old 12-05-2013, 07:08 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

The car.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:48 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Yup! C5 c6 and c7 are all like that. Clutch is in the front where it should be. Then connects to the torque tube which moves then to the Trans And rear. Kinda a weird setup. For a better idea watch this vid of a car I just finished up a couple weeks ago. The long thing on the Trans Jack the torque tube/Trans/rearend all in one.

2013 Corvette 427, 606 WHP- Livernois Motorsports - YouTube
Cool video. So I'm guessing C5+ owners will not have to worry about their driveshafts breaking then, eh?

Is that torque tube/shaft something that will never have to be upgraded if someone builds up the car around it?
Old 12-05-2013, 09:00 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

Thanks for the heads up. It is a manual and now I am definitely not looking forward to having to put in a new clutch when the time comes. Its a long way off though (car has 3k miles on it currently). I figure upgrades I will need to do with the supercharger would be half shafts and clutch. Stock bottom end should be good with around 600rwhp correct?
stock bottom ends handle closer to 700 on the ls3's. we have a few h/c blower ls3 camaro's that have came thru the shop making between 680-710 with stock shortblocks. Half shafts should be ok unless you're going to track it with a good tire. I dunno if z06 h/s are any different than a normal c6 but with the h/c on a z06 I've never had to upgrade anything other than the clutch and those make right around 600. Also I'm not sure if the clutch is really "necessary" either it's just something that we include in the package.

99gt I haven't seen any issues with the torque tube needing to be upgraded. but there is a normal looking driveshaft inside of the torque tube. But it just doesn't need to flex or pivot so I assume it's made stronger and much more durable than a normal driveshaft would be.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:01 PM
Kerns
4th Gear Member

stock bottom ends handle closer to 700 on the ls3's. we have a few h/c blower ls3 camaro's that have came thru the shop making between 680-710 with stock shortblocks. Half shafts should be ok unless you're going to track it with a good tire. I dunno if z06 h/s are any different than a normal c6 but with the h/c on a z06 I've never had to upgrade anything other than the clutch and those make right around 600. Also I'm not sure if the clutch is really "necessary" either it's just something that we include in the package.

99gt I haven't seen any issues with the torque tube needing to be upgraded. but there is a normal looking driveshaft inside of the torque tube. But it just doesn't need to flex or pivot so I assume it's made stronger and much more durable than a normal driveshaft would be.
Interesting... So I can pretty much run just the blower and upgrade injectors and wouldn't need anything else? The half shafts on the C6 aren't the same as the Z06. The Z06 and the ZR1 share the same half shafts and are quite a bit beefier though.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:42 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

Interesting... So I can pretty much run just the blower and upgrade injectors and wouldn't need anything else? The half shafts on the C6 aren't the same as the Z06. The Z06 and the ZR1 share the same half shafts and are quite a bit beefier though.
Nope. I'm really not sure how long the clutch will last but I'd bet it'll handle a little bit of torture before it bites the dust. one of the first corvettes I worked on was putting a edelbrock eforce on a stock ls3 car, I cant remember what trans it had but it even had stock manifolds still and made over 500whp, i believe aroudn 550 if i remember right. If I were you I'd put longtubes on it and whatever blower you want, prolly make between 6-650 depending how aggressive you get with boost and timing and what not. We currently have a '13 grand sport waiting on getting another eforce and longtubes, I'll let you know what it ends up putting down.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:07 AM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Greddy is secretly falling in love with the LSx. He is still in denial, but its happening.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Kerns vs OKBFD Part 2