Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Ran the GTO.. :/

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 10:18 AM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Skater, the DA was pretty good. Only 200', so that shouldnt be it. I tried shifting at 6k and ~6300 with no change, shifts were clean. Traction was a killer. I could either roll into it and pedal it through the first 330', or feather it out at a higher RPM resulting into 2.2-2.4 60s. There was one run where it felt like it grabbed good, but then its almost like the car put on brakes. Maybe that was torque management, idk. So yea, I'm thinking a tune and traction should change things drastically. The off-road mid ought to help a lot too.

Greddy, I'm definitely going to run slicks. Should make hard launches much safer on the axles. I want a tire that'll bog the car down if I let off too quick, lol. Just never been able to get a DR to do that.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:04 PM
TRMach1
2nd Gear Member

Do you get any wheel hop? My brother has an 07 Cts v and those are notorious for wheel hop but I also heard that the GTO had it as well but maybe not as much as the cts.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:11 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Tons of wheel hop! Trying to cure it with drag bags and tires. Rather do that than take away from the nicer things regarding an IRS set-up.

Last edited by Stone629; 03-05-2014 at 03:25 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:22 PM
TRMach1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
Tons of wheel hop! Trying to cure it with drag bags and tires. Rather do that than take away from the nicer things regarding an IRS set-up.
Ah ok, so I guess it is true. Bushings and some gforce or hendrix axles supposedly do wonders, these cars definitely have potential but it sucks that you can't stomp on them because of the hop.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:37 PM
Explosive

Wait. When did the vert go away ?!? Damn dude lol
Old 03-05-2014, 09:00 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Explosive, I guess its been 2 weeks now, maybe? I can't say no to a black car with an LSx in it. The SS was getting quicker like it was supposed to. The color combo and vert started wearing on me though, so when I found this black GTO, it was a done deal.

TR, it does suck. IRS is an awesome set-up, but it will hop. There are a few ways to help eliminate it, including what you said. I'm going to shoot straight for the intial cause, which is spinning. If I can get enough sticky tire under her and stop the spinning, it'll stop the hop. Speaking of irs and wheel hop, makes me wonder how the new Mustangs will do with their IRS.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:19 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Explosive
Wait. When did the vert go away ?!? Damn dude lol
lol when it comes to stone you really gotta keep up. one day it'll be a ss, next day it'll be traded for a bone stock ss, then boom, gto. I swear he's gone thru about 87 cars since i've been active in the ss section.

Sounds good about the mods man, it's gonna make a hell of a difference. I bet just tires and the tune with some practice will drop a second.

For suspension we've got a gto in the shop that got a crap ton of stuff, diff cover with some sort of fancy bracket, gforce axles/stubs, some "modified" lower arms that have a rod welded on with a spherical bushing at the end instead of one of the arms that's saposed to give more tire clearance. Dude's sinking way too much money into the thing imo.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:15 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

I made a few passes in my buddies maggie charged 06. He threw a set of nitto 555Rs on there and a cheap set of drag bags and I was cutting low 1.7s. I dont think it'll take a ton of work to get it where you want it. I bet with slicks you'll see 1.6s!
Old 03-06-2014, 02:01 AM
TRMach1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
Explosive, I guess its been 2 weeks now, maybe? I can't say no to a black car with an LSx in it. The SS was getting quicker like it was supposed to. The color combo and vert started wearing on me though, so when I found this black GTO, it was a done deal.

TR, it does suck. IRS is an awesome set-up, but it will hop. There are a few ways to help eliminate it, including what you said. I'm going to shoot straight for the intial cause, which is spinning. If I can get enough sticky tire under her and stop the spinning, it'll stop the hop. Speaking of irs and wheel hop, makes me wonder how the new Mustangs will do with their IRS.
True Hopefully it works out for you, we have yet to try anything.. That's what I have been wondering as well.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:02 AM
S8ER01Z
6th Gear Member

After his tune my buddies car cut pretty good 60fts...but it was an automatic. For all of the nice things IRS gives you unless its a damn well thought out system I'll keep my SRA setup thanks. lol

Quick Reply: Ran the GTO.. :/