Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

ET: Weight vs Spin?

Old 03-29-2014, 01:29 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

Default ET: Weight vs Spin?

Like many of you, my car has some traction issues. I know that I need to do some suspension work to get better grip, but I just don't have the time right now. I understand how to launch the car, not dumping the clutch, etc., but sometimes I just jump on it!
So my question is, which is faster, a car with weight in the trunk to maintain traction, or a car that spins a little going into second and third?
Conventional wisdom tells us that 100 lbs. equals .10 seconds, but what about the spin?
Old 03-29-2014, 01:47 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

Really depends on power and 60' as to whether weight will help or hurt

What tire are you running and at what pressure?

D you know where your pinion angle is set?
Old 03-29-2014, 01:50 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stkjock
Really depends on power and 60' as to whether weight will help or hurt

What tire are you running and at what pressure?
285/40/18 @ 30 psi.
Haven't been to the track so I don't know what my 60' time is. I'm just a "spirited" driver. Running a VMP tune and a 3" pulley at 4200 feet, so power should be somewhere around 450-500 rwhp.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:51 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

Oh, and I am basically on stock rear suspension, I did add fixed rear LCAs, so my pinion angle is stock.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:48 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Heres my advice. Leave the starting line like your pulling away from a red light. Feed the thottle in slowly. Dont worry about the little bit of spin between first to second. Spinning aint winning but adding weight is not the answer.

Last edited by bluebeastsrt; 03-29-2014 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:00 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
Heres my advice. Leave the starting line like your pulling away cdom a red light. Feed the thottle in slowly. Dont worry about the little bit of spin between first to second. Spinning aint winning but adding weight is not the answer.
That's probably good advice.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:12 AM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

I've been back and forth on this for years. I think if you're spinning to the point that you're pulling 2.2 or worse 60s with the trunk weight out, then just put it back in. If the 60 improves by more than a tenth, then just leave it in. One tenth gain in the 60' is worth more than 100lbs of weight reduction imo. But, if the 60' still stays the same with the trunk weight out, then just leave it out. Recently I removed a 30lb fuel cage and 80lbs of spare/jack/tools from the trunk of my GTO and went to the track. The car spins anyway, but I had to use the traction control just to get a 2.1 out of it. Every car is totally different though, and I haven't gone back to run with the rear weight back in to see the difference. Also, imo you should focus more on front end weight rather than rear weight, and for every pound you shed off the rear, you should try to match it with front end reduction to keep the car somewhat balanced.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:42 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

So, say moving the battery to the trunk would be very beneficial.

The reason I'm asking, for years, people throw sand bags in the trunk for traction. So it's really more of a general theory question.
Old 03-30-2014, 03:16 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

Get a stickier tire.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:52 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stkjock
Get a stickier tire.
I live in the country, six miles from the nearest paved road. I would love to get something stickier. But I'm afraid of how badly my car would handle on the dirt. I know, kind of a strange place to own a Mustang...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ET: Weight vs Spin?