Wow, what a crazy week, but it all paid off.
Car was at the fabricators getting some work done. With the manual master cylinder, we had lightweight strange brakes on the front, and stockers on the rear. The manual master cylinder just wasn't cutting it with the big rear pistons. Since we were doing it, we decided to do it right with a set of 9" ends, restraightening of the rear end, and re welded. We added Moser 35 splined star flanged / gun drilled axles, 5/8 studs, and a strange dual caliper kit. She stops much better and the pedal feel is much softer now.
While we were at it, we had a custom intercooler done. The stock unit works great, and we've been 8.7's with it with the ysi, but it is a 900 hp intercooler and we need every ounce of power we can find in heads up.
We were back and forth all week trying to get everything done, and didn't get finished up until 2:30am Friday at my fabricators. The finished product looks great though!
Rob @ Rogue race cars ordered the core. The rest of the intercooler / piping was custom Fabricated.
We loaded up car, headed back to the shop, got some supplies and hit the road @ 3:30am Friday morning. We still needed to wire in the new trans cooler, change plugs, and button a few things up, but we decided we would do that in Maryland.
We only got about an hour into the drive and me and Brian my crew chief were both wiped. We pulled over and just crashed in the cab of the truck and left the engine running. I woke up 2 hours later and hit the road. Brian got up about 8:30 and I drove til 10. He took over and I slept about another hour.
Traffic was pretty good until we hit MD, what the hell is up with MD lol. We rolled into MIR about 6:15. Luckily they like to set records at MIR, so round 1 didn't start til 7. Got everything done on the car and tech'd in with about 5 minutes to spare before being called to the lanes.
Staged the car, put it on the two step, trans brake didn't hold and the car left at 7k and 20psi of boost lol! Needless to say it blew the tires off. WE had been having problems with the MSD unit since Atlanta. Luckily Fred and Chuck from Evolution had a spare WOT Box, and we ripped of the MSD Sat Morning and wired it up in the pits. The Wot Box is so much stronger. Funny thing is I have about 20 of them at the shop for sale. The 2 step is much stronger. I don't know if any of our issues are due to the 16v, but the wot box has been tested to 24v.
We realized the JT trim fit the class, originally we thought it was too large, but the inducer is actually smaller than the TI trim so it fits in. We slapped on the JT from Dorothy before we left as well.
With the 2 step at 4800, we were rewarded with our new best, of a 1.32 60' out of the glide. It was consistent 1.32's the rest of the weekend. We went an 8.89, 8.89, 8.88 and in the finals we ran our new best with the JT of email@example.com mph.
First round saw us in a long awaited match with the guys from BBR. They were having transbrake trouble of their own and redlit. So not the race we wanted, but they did work hard to get a trans back in the car in a couple of hours after having it rebuilt the night before.
Our 8.81 should be a record for a JT/Paxton car. I don't think we've seen another jt / Paxton hit 8's yet.
The 8.81 was just enough to get the job done over the Hellion crew. Verela had been 8.4's to a worst of 8.53 throughout the weekend. In the finals, they got a little squirly on the big end and he had to pedal a little bit and the car went past his right before the finish line. It was a great race. I was real happy to see the stock ecu getting it done over all the aftermarket systems. The crew at Lund Racing has the car running really good!
It was a struggle as always getting there, but it really paid off and we are on a high as we make the 10 1/2 hr trek back to Ohio!
Here is a video from the final round!