Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Raced a Supra

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 09:47 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

should sell your ported eaton and the nitrous setup and pickup a whipple or something... I just can't ever get behind nitrous, I want to always have the power on hand.

guy here ran 11.6@119mph... compared to my 12.6@112mph... I'd bet you'd be faster with the whipple than with your nitrous. From what I heard they can be found pretty cheap, like $3,000.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:56 PM
Mellowdien
3rd Gear Member

Great runs!
Almost every Supra you'll find is making some decent if not insane power nowadays, makes it even cooler when you beat one.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:27 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mishri
should sell your ported eaton and the nitrous setup and pickup a whipple or something... I just can't ever get behind nitrous, I want to always have the power on hand.

guy here ran 11.6@119mph... compared to my 12.6@112mph... I'd bet you'd be faster with the whipple than with your nitrous. From what I heard they can be found pretty cheap, like $3,000.
I'd do that if I had the extra money for one. Between my eaton and nitrous I'd be lucky to get 1500.

Yeah I agree Mellow, I think that's why I went into it expecting to get blown out lol
Old 05-29-2014, 06:28 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Kenne Bell IMO but I might be biased lol.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:03 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hangwire
Kenne Bell IMO but I might be biased lol.
I'd have to get a great deal on a kb for that to happen. Just dont think they look as good and a 2.3 whipple will make quite a few more ponies than a 2.2 kb. I still really want a tvs 2.3 but those are 3300 and dont come up used since they're so new.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:08 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ctgreddy
I'd have to get a great deal on a kb for that to happen. Just dont think they look as good and a 2.3 whipple will make quite a few more ponies than a 2.2 kb. I still really want a tvs 2.3 but those are 3300 and dont come up used since they're so new.
Oh dude don't waste your money on a first gen KB. That thing is less efficient than the 2.1L Gen II blowers for the 2V(same one I have). I wouldn't dare put a Gen I KB on any Ford these days. Too much competition now with the new powertrains.

You would be WORLDS better off with the Gen II 2.6L. Its night and day. And the cost diff between the 2.6L and 2.8L is practically nothing. You can get a used 2.8L Cobra kit for the same price of a whipple. And the KB will run cooler PSI for PSI. And you could get the icebox to make it ideal for the strip. Orrrr you could get fancy and save up for an LC 2.8L.

Either way a Gen II 2.6L + your shot of nitrous would be a really stout setup even if thats the "best" you could manage. I would consider switching to meth with a KB but nitrous is also fine. It would certainly beat the snot out of a 2.3L Whipple. I dunno much about the specific numbers/specs on the TVS blowers. A lot of what i've seen on those are mounted on 5.4Ls. But they're also roots so its still second class.

And if you really insisted on it the Gen I 2.2L kits can be had for rock bottom prices for the PD blower world.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:43 PM
04goat
1st Gear Member

hey greddy! I heard that the 03/early0/4 cobra's had heat problems on the back two cylinders. Something about the water jackets not letting enough coolant in to keep the cylinder walls cool. The guy's i know have did the bypass to get them cooler. It has worked for them. Is this what you are talking about, or something else. Just curious!
Old 06-02-2014, 07:16 AM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 04goat
hey greddy! I heard that the 03/early0/4 cobra's had heat problems on the back two cylinders. Something about the water jackets not letting enough coolant in to keep the cylinder walls cool. The guy's i know have did the bypass to get them cooler. It has worked for them. Is this what you are talking about, or something else. Just curious!
that's part of it but a little different than what I'm talking about. I do have the cooling mod, basically all it does is help keep the heads/combustion chambers from getting too hot on 7 & 8. But regaurdless if that's done or not the piston to wall clearance is still tight and everything gets super hot in overdrive gears in boost.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:49 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Just sale that slow *** Cobra and find a clean Z06. You know deep down thats what you really want to do.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:53 PM
TCStangerv6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
Just sale that slow *** Cobra and find a clean Z06. You know deep down thats what you really want to do.

I'd trade my car for one.

Quick Reply: Raced a Supra