Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Two Random runs, C6 and a Turbo FRS!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 03:59 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Default Two Random runs, C6 and a Turbo FRS!

I drove the GTO down to see the family this weekend in hopes of having some fun along the way and finally got lucky. One on the way there, one on the way back. First run was against a C6, sounded like an automatic and I'm assuming it was an LS2 not an LS3. He kind of came around me aggressively on 95 South, so I went into pursuit mode and caught back up. After a few miles of him not slowing down I finally got beside him and downshifted, holding my speed but making a lot of exhaust noise to let him know I was ready. He finally let up and started slowing down with a huge grin on his face. Got him to about 60-65 mph and he couldn't stand it anymore and gunned it. I couldn't hear him, but the front of his Vette lifted some so I hit the pedal as well. I was sitting in 3rd gear at a pretty high RPM so I got a good hit. It was almost an instant front to rear bumper situation. I went to 4th pretty quick and put another half car on him with him pretty much holding his ground once I got settled into 4th. We both had to shut it down and get on the brakes at the point due to traffic. So basically, he jumped from 60mph 1st, I reacted, by the time we were at 110 or so there was about a car between us.

Second run was a rare one. I was waiting to pull out of a car wash on the way home today, and a Subaru FRS passed by. I noticed the FMIC when he passed. So I fell in behind him and followed. We went down probably 8 miles of country roads, but he never would get on it, nothing. Around the curves he would gas it just a tad and the turbo was clearly audible through the tail pipes, even over the drone of my car. So finally we approach I-95 and as we both turn on to the merging ramp, I got into 2nd gear and hung close to his tail figuring he was going to kill it down the ramp, which he did. I was about 2 cars behind him as we turned and it looked like we got on it at the same time. Through 2nd gear I didn't gain or lose an inch. Through 3rd I gained MAYBE a few feet but soon as we hit 4th it evened out again. We hit the bottom of the ramp doing warp speed into traffic so we both got on the brakes hard. I followed him for a while hoping for a side by side roll, but traffic was wtf. Car looked nasty though, he had some wide wheels on it, lowered, tinted lights, all black...very clean sick sounding FRS. I imagine he's pushing a decent amount of boost to run like that.

Last edited by Stone629; 07-27-2014 at 04:03 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:57 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Nice. Sounds like the Goats running good.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:40 PM
BlueBells96

Subaru BRZ or Scion FR-S you mean Not Subaru FRS LOL
Old 07-28-2014, 04:46 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Some clean runs man

I really like those BRZ/FRS's.. all they need is a big *** turbo and it begins to really open up some power! Friggin' tiny though.. they remind me of my 1993 RX-7, just less 90's interior lol
Old 07-28-2014, 06:04 AM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
Nice. Sounds like the Goats running good.
It runs ok, but it definitely needs a bit more. Just haven't had the extra funds lately to cam it, etc.

Originally Posted by themoparman87
Subaru BRZ or Scion FR-S you mean Not Subaru FRS LOL
There you go, lol...the emblem on the trunk looked like a Subaru emblem, but yea either way I screwed that one up

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
Some clean runs man

I really like those BRZ/FRS's.. all they need is a big *** turbo and it begins to really open up some power! Friggin' tiny though.. they remind me of my 1993 RX-7, just less 90's interior lol
Thanks Stealth, I really like those cars too. I'm curious how much he has tied up in it and if it was a pain to tune, any bugs, etc. He was pretty much dead even with my GTO, unless he wasn't going all out. Pretty sure he was though due to the puff of black smoke when he let off. He took a couple hard turns that I couldn't even come close to pulling off. We made one right hand turn, he had no issue and I kicked the rear out trying to keep up lol.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:04 AM
S8ER01Z
6th Gear Member

Nice runs... sounds like you have another solid running car. That FRS sounds pretty interesting... I will have to troll the forums and see who is posting about a GTO race.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:14 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
Thanks Stealth, I really like those cars too. I'm curious how much he has tied up in it and if it was a pain to tune, any bugs, etc. He was pretty much dead even with my GTO, unless he wasn't going all out. Pretty sure he was though due to the puff of black smoke when he let off. He took a couple hard turns that I couldn't even come close to pulling off. We made one right hand turn, he had no issue and I kicked the rear out trying to keep up lol.
They handle like they're on rails. I had a chance to look at some at my work I was at before and they're pretty well engineered. Light weight, engine sits low and towards the center backwards right near the firewall. Tons of space for a superchager or turbo, same motor but souped up as in the Imprezza's and WRX's, just NA with a shiet ton of compression! It's very light and zippy with a decent tip in throttle stock tune so it feels quicker than it is. Unfortunately, the rear diff also looked dinky and the trans is questionable lol.. it's no STi drivetrain put it that way... luckily, it's all high strung power and not the monstrous torque we're so used to..
Old 07-28-2014, 09:43 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

Nice runs stone! just need to sell a kidney and cam and/or procharge that thing already.

That frs probably just had one of those fake cold air intakes that looks like a fmic, and whistle tips, cant be just barely keeping up with that .
Old 07-30-2014, 11:49 AM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ctgreddy
Nice runs stone! just need to sell a kidney and cam and/or procharge that thing already.

That frs probably just had one of those fake cold air intakes that looks like a fmic, and whistle tips, cant be just barely keeping up with that .
Thanks man! Why don't you just send me some more free parts you have lying around!

Lmao, it crossed my mind he was all show and no go until I heard that turbo. No faking that one...or being able to hold the ground he had, lol
Old 07-30-2014, 12:00 PM
buster
4th Gear Member

I once ran across a subby driver who wanted to race my 06 gt about 5 mins after it stopped raining. I guess I had MORON written on my forehead.

Quick Reply: Two Random runs, C6 and a Turbo FRS!