Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

is it racing?

Old 12-13-2014, 02:54 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 84CopperGT
I think it was Hotrod Magazine that actually did an article on the new Camaros and it was literally about what will break when driving the car hard. It is a very long list.

Just the rear end issues. And notice these are near stock power levels. How about that reliability?

Rear suspension flex (450 hp): IPS reports toe-arm failures as low as 25 to 50 hp over stock. Pfadt has stiffeners; BMR offers adjustable units. Excessive wheelhop can damage the rear trailing arms, contributing to differential problems (Pfadt and LPE have upgrades). Hotchkis sells a Chassis Max Brace to control unwanted suspension movement.

Rear subframe flex (475 hp): The stock subframe bushings allow excess cradle movement, causing lost power and bad traction. Replace with solid or polyurethane bushings for better rear-cradle durability and improved handling. Pfadt is one source.

Gears fail (500-plus horsepower): Only a three-series Posi carrier is available, so the pinion gets really small as gear ratio increases. Tire type and driving style influence longevity big time.

Halfshafts break (wheelhop, 500 to 600 hp): The more severe the wheelhop, the sooner the drive axles break. The stock computer calibration limits axlehop, but that also limits performance. Knowing when to back off the throttle is the cheap fix, followed by lighter-weight wheels and tires (because they have less inertia), and ultimately stouter aftermarket axles.

Posi problems (various): Jannetty says the stock Posi is weak: "It's prone to one-legger burnouts; the breakaway torque is way too low." Its Posi mods include upgraded clutch packs and a different preload spring. With a tuned Posi and revised internal gear preload, clearances, and patterns, the stock rear can take up to 750 hp, but 650 hp is more realistic for daily driving.

Driveshaft issues (over 5,000 rpm): Most report that the stock two-piece driveshaft is surprisingly robust. LPE's 9-second Camaro uses a shortened, stock, two-piece 'shaft, but with an improved center support to prevent the middle slider from twisting and binding. However, The Driveshaft Shop maintains that "anything with a slider is unstable over 5,000-rpm driveshaft speed." Its solutions range from a stouter two-piece unit with a CV joint or a one-piece aluminum or carbon-fiber 'shaft.
Nice try but stock power levels( AS in dealer tag new) is 330 to 370WHP depending on L99 or LS3 and the dyno you use! Big difference from 450WHP. 450 is heads and a cam car! I'll say this one more time! I own a Camaro SS so you can't fly some magazine article and baffle me with bullsh!t! My bolt on L99 has made about 300 passes in the last two years at Atco! Half that on drag radials and I can break anything if I tried! So just stop.

Last edited by bluebeastsrt; 12-13-2014 at 03:00 AM.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:48 PM
84CopperGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
Nice try but stock power levels( AS in dealer tag new) is 330 to 370WHP depending on L99 or LS3 and the dyno you use! Big difference from 450WHP. 450 is heads and a cam car! I'll say this one more time! I own a Camaro SS so you can't fly some magazine article and baffle me with bullsh!t! My bolt on L99 has made about 300 passes in the last two years at Atco! Half that on drag radials and I can break anything if I tried! So just stop.
Not one of those said whp. Also, with simple bolt-ons they have broken 400+ rwhp with ease. So picking up 30-70 rwhp with that seems like maybe it's rated just a bit low for insurance reasons, which Ford has been doing since the 2000 Cobra R and 03-04 Cobras.
Old 12-13-2014, 02:43 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Of course the article is referring to wheel horse power. What the hell do you think they did? Remove the motor from the car and dyno just the motor after each mod??? If your not smart enought to understand the magazine articles your posting to try and back up your silly story, you probably shouldn't use them. I tell ya what. Let's line up my piece of **** broke *** SS against your classic mustang. I'll see you out 5 and you can cross your fingers and hope something breaks like all the other junky Camaros running around in your little dream world. Interested? Never mind you don't race you just sit around and watch em crash!.

Last edited by bluebeastsrt; 12-13-2014 at 02:46 PM.
Old 12-13-2014, 03:24 PM
84CopperGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
Of course the article is referring to wheel horse power. What the hell do you think they did? Remove the motor from the car and dyno just the motor after each mod??? If your not smart enought to understand the magazine articles your posting to try and back up your silly story, you probably shouldn't use them. I tell ya what. Let's line up my piece of **** broke *** SS against your classic mustang. I'll see you out 5 and you can cross your fingers and hope something breaks like all the other junky Camaros running around in your little dream world. Interested? Never mind you don't race you just sit around and watch em crash!.
Just gonna chalk this up to "not gonna admit my car has issues everyone, even Camaro5 forum, knows about fanboy issues." These car are putting down over 400+ with bolt ons, more with a tune and they are breaking. not all, but enough that everyone is talking on the forums. Rear ends have blown at stock power levels on the SS. The issue, is GM did not design the cars to be modded, for some inanely stupid reason, and the SS is literally putting out enough power stock to stress the parts. Once they get bolt-ons they are pushing the factory limits and anything more they start having issues. Look on Camaro5, guys with stock cars are breaking things. Maybe you are lucky, or they are all unlucky, but it's not a coincidence. You sound like a pair of children that got a toy car fighting with each other over which one is better because of the color. I never said my car would beat a newer Camaro, I just related what I saw and you went into a rant because it didn't happen to you. I would place money with the minor google research I did that he was abusing the car, in California it can take up to a year to get plates from the DMV, and it finally said **** it.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:33 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

I'm a member of Camaro5. Funny how I never hear any complaints. What's your user name over there and what member over there specifically did you get your misinformation from? I'm done with you kid. I cant wait to hear your next NOT a race story. Maybe you can NOT race some chevy driving aliens or ghosts in your stock relic to make the story sound even cooler than this literary masterpiece . And oh yea, have the Corvette catch on fire at the end. That would be a nice touch!

Last edited by bluebeastsrt; 12-13-2014 at 04:40 PM.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:24 PM
Explosive

This one time, in hot rod magazine...
Old 12-16-2014, 07:22 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Holy hell how did I miss this thread! So new Camaros are breaking rears and **** now? At near stock levels? Well....I don't think there's a car on this Earth that I haven't seen break something at some point or another at the track. With that said, saying its a common issue with LS3/L99 SS's is absurd. I've got quite a few buddies that regular run theirs into the 11s and have been doing so since they came out and have yet to experience any of these breakages. Didn't know wheel hop was a major issue with them either. Definitely is an issue with GTOs, and with a dummy behind the wheel that doesn't know when to get off the throttle once that hopping crap starts, then yea, axles can break and occasional do. But so do Mach axles, Chevy 10 bolt rears, 3V input shafts, EVO axles, Subaru transmissions, etc. Come on now Copper...get for real man.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:49 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Its all nonsense. There's 15 Camaro ss on any Friday night at Atco. Most are mid 11 to high 12 second cars with a low 14 second v6 in the mix every once in a while. Doing burnouts and then launching the **** out of them and I've yet to see a single Camaro break. And if they are not breaking at the track when they are being abused they damn sure aren't breaking in the street. The kid has never seen the inside of a track and did like every other noob does. He thought it would be cool to attack a Chevy on a Mustang forum! Only problem is the brand locality comes a little harder in the racing section.

Last edited by bluebeastsrt; 12-17-2014 at 12:54 AM.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:23 AM
Explosive

The magic number I'm told for 5th gen is 660hp And the aftermarket shafts are rated at 1400
Old 12-17-2014, 07:27 AM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Blue, you pretty hit the nail on the head. I think the responses from S/S crowd comes as a bit of a surprise to new guys.

Explosive, just ask Greddy about 5th gens. They have done some impressive work with them up at livernois. Those cars can hold some power!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: is it racing?