Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

2014 GT vs unknown turbo'd Mazda 3

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 03:49 AM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

Default 2014 GT vs unknown turbo'd Mazda 3

So a few hours ago on my way home from a friends new years eve party at his house (I wasn't drinking) a white turbo'd (I could hear the whine) Mazda 3 hatchback pulled up next to me while we were going 40mph and acted like he wanted to play. It was really cold outside, about 8 degrees, and my car hadn't even warmed up yet so I didn't do much but let him hear a little exhaust. A few miles later with him still hanging out behind me we hop onto a local highway with stoplights every mile or two. He pulls up next to me at the first stop light. My car is warmed up by now, and I can tell he and the 2 other people in his car want to go for it, so I oblige to the speed limit of 60mph (cops are out so I didn't want to do more... it's new years!). I was probably a good 3 car lengths when I stopped acclerating and I spun through part of 1st because of the cold. There wasn't ice on the roads at all and I had winter tires on so there was plenty of traction for me.
The next stoplight comes and he wants to go again so I do (I do wonder what his excuse is... tires spinning? lol), got to about 70 this time and he was again quite a bit behind me... next stoplight I took off a little faster than normal but he was humbled enough to not try and race haha. The next exit he could take he did and I didn't see him, or really anyone, the rest of the way home.

Just thought i would share, i don't know anything about the car except that it was a white newish hatchback mazda 3 with a turbo. I am guessing that it wasn't very stock based on the turbo whine and blow off valve that I could hear with my windows up, but it was a fairly cut and dry kill. I am also pretty sure the driver was asian... not that it has anything to do with anything... I can't say I was surprised by the outcome, but it was a good end to the night.

Happy New Year everyone!
Old 01-01-2015, 06:21 AM

LOL he was asian. That car was probably putting out less that 250 hp even with a turbo ahah.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:42 AM
bigo5552000
1st Gear Member

If was probably a MazdaSpeed 3. They can make a lot of power from that little 2.3 turbo. The factory says the 2013 model makes 262hp.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:13 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

Those are pretty light cars and don't run well with 2 passengers. They also can't use full boost in first gear, this limits torque steer a little. If he had a few mods, no passengers and you started from 25 mph he might have given you a good run. It's pretty easy to get 350hp out of this engine.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:01 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Wrong wheel drive turbo 4 bangers aren't exactly stop light to stop light cars. It would have been more entertaining for both of you from a roll.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:48 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Nice runs. He prob was struggling for traction, but either way you have the quicker car mod for mod. They can be pretty damn quick with basic bolt ons and tuning though.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:11 PM
buster
4th Gear Member

There are two nights of the year that I would NEVER street race (not that I would ever street race but that's another story for another time) #1 Christmas Eve #2 New Years Eve. Every cop in North America is out trying to make himself/herself look good by pulling more cars over than the next cop. I don't want to be your mother, but you two were lucky you didn't get pulled. Happy New Year to all.

PS powerful cars on dry pavement with posi when its 8 degrees out can snap around very easily

Last edited by buster; 01-01-2015 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:13 PM
bigo5552000
1st Gear Member

^^^ +1 I agree completely!
Old 01-01-2015, 07:17 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by buster
There are two nights of the year that I would NEVER street race (not that I would ever street race but that's another story for another time) #1 Christmas Eve #2 New Years Eve. Every cop in North America is out trying to make himself/herself look good by pulling more cars over than the next cop. I don't want to be your mother, but you two were lucky you didn't get pulled. Happy New Year to all.

PS powerful cars on dry pavement with posi when its 8 degrees out can snap around very easily
I actually agree, but I have my stupid moments every once in a while and I didn't see any other cars nearby (dumb excuse I know), so I played a little. I don't street race, just show off a little too much lol.
And I'm always open to advice, thanks for the tips.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:32 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ticopowell
I actually agree, but I have my stupid moments every once in a while and I didn't see any other cars nearby (dumb excuse I know), so I played a little. I don't street race, just show off a little too much lol.
And I'm always open to advice, thanks for the tips.
No need for apologies. This is the STREET and strip section.

Quick Reply: 2014 GT vs unknown turbo'd Mazda 3