Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Broken Coil Spring!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 07:46 AM
98-GT
1st Gear Member

Default Broken Coil Spring!!!

I have had a set of Eibach Pro Springs in my Garage for some time and I got tired of kicking them around, so last night I tackled the Rear of my 98 GT. There is definately a trick to getting the old springs out and new ones in without total disassembly. Anywho I found on the drivers side that my coil spring was broken?? I have noticed that the car did sit funny and thought that my frame might be bent??? I just had the car alligned!! Shouldn't the allignment machine pick that up??? Or at least the water head running it?? (The reason I say that is the allignment shop that did my car fired the lead allignment tech for not knowing what he was doing???)

Anyway I am excited to drive it and find out if that is why my car was all over the road or if I need to learn to drive again.

I am going to tackle the front later today or this weekend. I am going to do headers and a h-pipe while the front is apart. Not looking forward to that, but I am looking forward the benefits!!!
Old 02-27-2011, 08:52 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Common problem when the water drain holes in the a-arms/control arms get clogged up with dirt, thus water pooling in the cups causing the springs to rot, weaken, and then crack.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:39 PM
98-GT
1st Gear Member

It was broken at the top at the 2nd coil. Just plain rust rot. Love the eibachs!!!!!!
Old 02-27-2011, 11:30 PM
tohoopty
4th Gear Member

my buddies car had the top coil on the drivers side break and the drivers side coil in the front was broke at the bottom also.and all you have to do to get the old spring out in the back of the car is unbolt the shocks and pull the springs out.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:18 AM
98-GT
1st Gear Member

Ok, so I have the new eibach prokit springs in at all 4 corners. I installed the front without isolators and the car looks almost at stock height? Did I do something wrong? Or is it possible that I have the wrong kit??

Should I have gone with the sport line???
Old 03-07-2011, 11:27 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

The reason it wasn't picked up by the machine is the solid axle. Unless you have a bent axle housing or control arms, or excessively worn bushings, it won't show up on the alignment rack. IF they even check the rear....many places won't bother to do more than a basic inspection on the rear for damage, none detected they ignore it(nice thing about solid axles actually, alignment is ultra simple).

Still though, they should have at least done a basic visual and found a broken spring, especially if the car didn't seem to be sitting correctly.

BUT, you should get everything realigned. And as an fyi, replacing a broken spring in the rear WILL alter the front alignment. It causes the car to sit differently, and the articulation in the suspension as a result changes the alignment, since the new static is with the suspension in a different resting position.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:00 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by 98-GT
Ok, so I have the new eibach prokit springs in at all 4 corners. I installed the front without isolators and the car looks almost at stock height? Did I do something wrong? Or is it possible that I have the wrong kit??

Should I have gone with the sport line???
The springs take some time to settle.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:25 PM
98-GT
1st Gear Member

Ok, so I found the issue. The front springs were broken also and a coil was still in the pocket. I did not drive it that way, I fixed it immediately. Here is the new height and PPG Sunset Pearl!! Gonna Love it.
Attached Thumbnails Broken Coil Spring!!!-p1020612.jpg   Broken Coil Spring!!!-p1020648.jpg