Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Lowering an 03 GT (H&R SS springs?)

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 02:57 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Default Lowering an 03 GT (H&R SS springs?)

I want to lower my mustang, the H&R super sport springs look good on peoples cars but the spring rate seems like it may be harsh. Anyone have any opinions on what is best? Would it be good to put some lower control arms on too or is that unnecessary? I dont really have any noticible wheel hop usually.. the only time ive actually got wheel hop was from a burnout in reverse in the rain lol.. not a good idea.

I do want it to be noticibly lower but not too low to where im scraping on stuff like parking lots , speed bumps, or gutters etc. and i dont want it to be tooo harsh.

Are H&R supersport springs for me?
Old 04-26-2011, 08:58 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Super-sports do indeed make the ride harsher than some other springs. The main reason for this is due to the aggressive drop they provide. To go this much lower than OEM, provides much less travel before the car bottoms out on bump-stops. The springs MUST be high-rate to avoid hitting them all the time and upseting not only the cars "balance", but beating the crapola out of the pepes in the car

If looking to lower just a bit for improved esthetics and a bit nicer cornering, I would recommend you go with a bit less aggressive drop of about 1.25" or so. Maybe the Steeda Sport Springs would be a good choice for you to avoid the harsher ride.

As for LCA's, this depends on your ULTIMATE goals for your ride... what are they?

Jazzer
Old 04-26-2011, 11:24 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

The LCA's aren't necessary when putting on springs, but it would be a good time to upgrade them since you'll be right there when installing the rear springs anyways. Just a thought...

I'm going to pull the trigger on some h&r super sports soon, as i'm not satisfied with the drop of my pro kit anymore.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:30 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

^Thats a smart decision Rod!! H&R's FTMFW!
Old 04-26-2011, 08:10 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Rob, believe it or not you were one of the reasons behind me pulling the trigger on them. After shooting a few pm's back and forth with you, i realized a lot of my worries were for nothing. Actually you and 3 other people people at my local dyno day on Saturday. 3 gorgeous 99-04 gt's, and ironically all had the H&R Super Sports lol. That was the icing on the cake for me lol.

I'm actually ordering them tomorrow from AM.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:07 PM
sullitf
1st Gear Member

Can't agree more with the H&R springs. I've seen a few mustangs in person with those springs and they make the car look sooo much better. You can always get some new shocks and struts when you're in there too, if you can afford it at the same time.

The ride is stiffer, just like with any lowering springs. The stock cars sit way to high IMO though, and I've never been a fan of just cutting the factory springs!
Old 05-02-2011, 10:01 AM
Zero4GT

Coming from the sportcompact world, I would do the h&r springs with new struts n shocks. That would help stiffen up ur ride. U gotta think about ur ultimate goal tho. Is ur car a daily driver? I had my cobalt slammed and drove it every day to chicago and back. It sucked!!!