Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Granatelli good stuff?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 10:45 PM
RamRod87

Default Granatelli good stuff?

Lookin to get their K member, tube a arms, coilover kit, and cc plates since you gotta use it all together and was wondering if anyone has used their products. I was originally gonna go with QA1 but decided the Gran stuff looked WAY stouter and Im lookin to begin crankin some higher amounts of torque and a t brake.

Pretty much, I just wanna know if the stuff is as good as it looks cause noone out here runs it, actually, noone out here even does front end swap outs, they run factory suspension with coilovers and a strut brace and call it good then wonder why theyre twistin so bad when they launch, thats what Im trying to cancle out here. Allready plan on subframe connecting once I have the time to make some and weld them up and reinforcing the control arm mouting points and goin tubular/adjustable back there too.

Ill quit rambling now, Granatelli, yay or nay?
Old 06-12-2011, 12:24 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Granatelli has had a bit of a reputation issue over the years and not sure how much is deserved. I think they look closely at others designs (MM, for example) and make their own stuff). I have been witness to one guy who went forum to forum bashing their parts, saying it should be covered under warrany. When he ended up at MM's, he did this again, but was asked some very legitimate questions about the part failure, based on his description. Turns out, the part was modified from its original design and out-of-manufacture. The part failed as a direct result of the modification, but he just kept bashing. I asked a question several times, but was ignored. He was dead wrong, but did he own up to it and accept responsibilty...?????

Go ***HERE*** and read up on exactly what happend (got him good on my posts #49 & #55

Moral to the story, don't believe everything one reads on the interwebz.

Last edited by Jazzer The Cat; 06-12-2011 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:56 PM
RamRod87

Ha, yea thats why I ask questions instead of just go with what I read. I was told QA1 is awesome stuff yet I blew out 7 of their front struts on my old 78 Stang that had a 408 (351W) swap job done on it. I had to take an extra pair of shocks with me to the track all the time, went to Strange for my shocks/struts and havent had a prob since. So far what Ive read with Gran. its good stuff and does a wicked job at stiffening the front end up, most people dont even use shock tower braces after installing the k member I guess. Only down side is they make their parts to accept ONLY their parts, so you gotta use their coilover kit, arms, and CC brackets with their k member, but its only like 500$ for all that so its no big deal. I just wanna hear from someone who has used the product so I know how well it bolts up, its rigity, and any probs they had with it. Since it moves the front wheels forward 2" I know Ill be choppin my inner fenders a bit allready.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:03 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I would think that it only moves the wheels forward 1", which is what both Griggs and MM do. I am pretty sure there would be some big-time rubbing going that much, but maybe the "K" mounting points are 1" farther back and their "A" arms sweep the point up 2" from there...?

Anway, sounds like you are needing this for some pretty serious strength and probaly use on the 1/4 mile? If so, you may consider an MM or Griggs one. They are not designed toward 1/4 mile use, but are proven to be VERY strong. The Griggs one is stronger than the MM one, so food for thougth.

Jazzer
Old 06-12-2011, 10:29 PM
RamRod87

The K member alone moves it 1", the arms are able to be moved an inch back to make it stock or an inch forward for 2" total extension. And yea this is gonna be a 1/4 daily driver and Im shootin for about 800hp, allready got the tranny to handle it all, just gotta get the motor to that level. Been dumping all my cash into the power/drive train and for some reason looked over the suspension. Its holdin up good though, since Im not road coursing Ive never had probs with twist, it amazingly stays straight during 4000rpm launches with a full factory suspension, the back is untouched and the front only had the struts replaced, but that still was with ones rated for the 4 banger and were done before I got it. Handles pretty decent, doesnt bounce around on me, but when that front end comes back down it smacks occasionally and dives rediculously during braking. As far as my back end goes, would you suggest just gettin some spherical adjustable uppers and tubular lowers or do a watts upgrade with a torsion set up? Im new to messing with this style of suspension, my other vehicles I got into were a 69 Mach 1 428CJ and a 58 F100, which are totally different. I will be going coilover all around though and probably tubbing and chopping the back down for 14" rubber in the corners, and possibly upgrade to a 9", the 7.5 handles what I got now, but I know once I start putting some major torque to it shes gonna give.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:14 PM
turbo232
4th Gear Member

i have MM stuff sitting in my closet right now. the K-member moves the wheels with stocks A-arms forward .75 inch and with the forward offset A-arms it moves it forward 1.5 inches and with standard offset A-arms have the same geometry as the stockers.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:15 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by RamRod87
The K member alone moves it 1", the arms are able to be moved an inch back to make it stock or an inch forward for 2" total extension. And yea this is gonna be a 1/4 daily driver and Im shootin for about 800hp, allready got the tranny to handle it all, just gotta get the motor to that level. Been dumping all my cash into the power/drive train and for some reason looked over the suspension. Its holdin up good though, since Im not road coursing Ive never had probs with twist, it amazingly stays straight during 4000rpm launches with a full factory suspension, the back is untouched and the front only had the struts replaced, but that still was with ones rated for the 4 banger and were done before I got it. Handles pretty decent, doesnt bounce around on me, but when that front end comes back down it smacks occasionally and dives rediculously during braking. As far as my back end goes, would you suggest just gettin some spherical adjustable uppers and tubular lowers or do a watts upgrade with a torsion set up? Im new to messing with this style of suspension, my other vehicles I got into were a 69 Mach 1 428CJ and a 58 F100, which are totally different. I will be going coilover all around though and probably tubbing and chopping the back down for 14" rubber in the corners, and possibly upgrade to a 9", the 7.5 handles what I got now, but I know once I start putting some major torque to it shes gonna give.
I wear a dress accasionally, but I'm not a drag guy

You need to be looking into Kenny Brown, TeamZ and Baseline (to mention a few) as they build 1/4 mile suspension components. I don't know how to address your front-end slamming back to earth, but I am sure your not the first to have such an issue.

Jazzer
Old 06-13-2011, 08:35 PM
RamRod87

I figure the front end slammin is just a matter of worn shocks and springs, possibly when I coilover it with some adjustable struts and good springs I can fix that and still be comfy on the street. As far as the *** goes, Im thinking if I get a free day from work and the kid Ill just fire up the welder and the plasma and make some 4 links and get some 1" chromo swivel ends and such, and I think I still got some DOM 1 1/4" chromo tubing around here somewhere, should be more than enough for anything I throw at it and only run me 1/10 the price of buying a set. Seems do-able if I ever get the damn time, gettin tired of goin into a turn with some speed and the car suddenly takes a bunch of roll with the upper links decide to finally move and unbind.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:57 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Jazzer,

I find it funny that the Granatelli guys swear up and down that they don't make arms like that. What I find even more funny, is that Steeda still sells those exact arms!

Old 06-18-2011, 07:22 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Granatelli did not deny that the arms were theirs, just a design that was not only modifed, but that particular arm was no longer in manufacture.

The ones that are bent, originally had some sort of filler part that was inserted in one or more of the elongated holes of the arm (not positive those are the "exact" arms in the pic, but maybe). This part was removed by someone at some point and the support was then missing from the LCA. It ultimately bent, as one can see, but Granatelli's point was that they cannot be responsible to replace a part that was no longer in OEM condition.

I have zero vested interest in Granatelli one way or the other. I don't run any of their parts, nor have I.

I had just stumbled to that post initially and was open minded as to a refund/credit/replacement set by Granatelli. As the thread progressed, I could see that the OP was just in full-on bash mode with no inclination to address valid questions by both me and JR.

Jazzer

PS. FWIW.... I don't like a dual poly-bushed LCA reguardless of who make it and less attracted to an adjustable perch one

Quick Reply: Granatelli good stuff?