Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

after market suspension....

Old 06-26-2011, 09:48 PM
NFS_98

Default after market suspension....

hey just bought a 98 cobra svt. im more familiar with engines and not so much suspension. so my question.... whats a good after market suspension i could order on line that would be good for agressive street driving and light track? thanks for your time.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:28 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Does 'track' mean road course/autocross or dragstrip? Most suspension mods that benefit either of those tend to hurt the other.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 06-27-2011 at 06:31 AM.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:34 AM
NFS_98

i guess i was just tryin to use $5 termenology. i dont want a drag car. i want a suspension that will let me accelerate through a curve and still maintain control. if that makes any sense
Old 07-01-2011, 06:05 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Perfect sense.
I find that I'm frequently asking that question because 'track' to a huge number of folks means the dragstrip, and it doesn't even matter what kind of car they're driving.

For the Fox and SN95 cars you can do most anything from just springs/shocks/struts/sta-bars up to completely reconfiguring the front and rear suspensions.

If you'd rather not piece together your own combination but want a fairly complete kit, probably the first place I'd look would be over at Maximum Motorsports ( MM ) under their 'Grip Boxes and Packages'. That said, I'd see if they'd do a shock/strut upgrade to Konis or possibly Bilsteins, as they do mention the ability to customize the kits.

Don't get me wrong - it's not that I think that Tokicos suck, just that my experience with the Illumina line is that they seem harsher than necessary for a given amount of damping control, and I don't expect the other lines to be a whole lot different in this respect. If the roads in your area are generally good, you'll be fine with them. But over uneven concrete slab expansion joints and railroad grade crossings where the rails aren't quite flush with the road, the "KA-BLAM! they make will make you think somebody welded your suspension all solid while you weren't looking.

If you want to do a little pick-and-choose, or don't need/don't really want to do a whole kit, go to Sam Strano's store ( Stranoparts ). It's a (very) small outfit, so it's best to use the phone and call Sam. He's willing to help you close in on a combination that'll suit you, and isn't inclined to sell you something you don't really need. He does carry some of the MM and Steeda parts individually, among other names.

Jazzer has the Griggs setup, which is at kind of a level of its own. Priced accordingly, methinks.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 07-01-2011 at 06:28 AM.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:24 PM
NFS_98

norm thanks a lot brother. you gave me a good starting point to customizing my cobra. its much appreciated. just got back from iraq and bought my new baby now i want to start tricking her out.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:26 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I am with Norm here.... I mean, I am not WITH Norm right now

An MM Grip Box is a nice system and can be built in parts to save initial expense of the entire kit at one time. I would probably recommend swapping a few different parts, as they kits are not exactly what I would like to see anyway. Sam Strano is very good in this reguard and help you to avoid wasting money on parts that don't suite your needs. This is why I always ask the following question and why I have it in the opening paragraphs of my suspension guide...

What are the ULTIMATE goals for your ride?

In your case, you pretty much layed it out, but keep it in mind whenever you do performance mods so that you don't set yourself back with parts that don't meet this end.

Jazzer