Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Remove quad shock for autocross

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 05:50 PM
Dave19525
2nd Gear Member

Default Remove quad shock for autocross

If all goes well I am going to take my first shot at autocross on Friday. My suspension is all stock except the springs have one coil cut off each of them. Should I remove the quad shock? Eventually I am going to get better LCAs and ditch the quad shock but right now its still all stock. Also will it hurt anything to DD with the quad shock off or should I wait until I get LCAs before I DD with no quad shock?
Old 07-11-2011, 06:14 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

If they aren't getting rubbed by your wheels/tires, you might as well just leave them in place.

Norm
Old 07-11-2011, 06:26 PM
christopher_94_gt
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
If they aren't getting rubbed by your wheels/tires, you might as well just leave them in place.

Norm
not trying to hijack a thread,but, if they are rubbing is it bad in any way to remove them completely~
Old 07-11-2011, 07:05 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Removing the quads may add a bit of rear-end "waggle", but not much. I recommend you run AX exactly as your car is now and for another 5~6 events prior to any additional suspension mods. Then, install some LCA's and remove the quads for another event or two.

Then go out and purchase a complete Griggs Racing GR-40 SLA equipped suspension with a WL and built Vortec induced '04 Cobra motor for your following events

..... what?

Jazzer
Old 07-11-2011, 08:12 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by christopher_94_gt
. . . if they are rubbing is it bad in any way to remove them completely~
At least theoretically, you'd be somewhat more likely to get into wheel hop leaving the start line. But since autocross starts don't generally have to be as brutal as a dragstrip launch (or can't be, due to course layouts with the first turn coming up right away), this isn't a big concern.

Norm
Old 07-16-2011, 01:02 PM
Dave19525
2nd Gear Member

Made it out to the autocross. It was a lot of fun. Definitely gonna need tires and suspension to keep doing it. I was having trouble with *** end stepping out a lot. When the Vortech goes in it will be impossible to keep straight. lol.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:54 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I recommend you hit AX up a few more times prior to any additional mods. Learn to keep the boost in check on your current set-up and will be a better (aka faster) driver in the end. Good tires and suspension mods can allow you to learn some bad habbits early on and help you to "get away" with stuff you probably shouldn't.

Jazzer
Old 07-17-2011, 08:29 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Agreed, and I wouldn't even get tires just yet. You might as well get the steepest part of the learning curve done on whatever tires you've already got.

One thought - it takes a finite amount of time to turn the steering wheel (I've heard up to half a second, which is about a car length in terms of distance). So for slaloms in particular you need to start your steering input before you get to each cone instead of when you're right at it. This takes a little practice before you can trust that you'll still go around each cone instead of running them all over.

Norm
Old 07-19-2011, 02:25 PM
Dave19525
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the input and encouragement. There is going to be another event next month so planning to head out to that one too.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:16 AM
Daniel Bente

The quad shock setup was added by FOMOCO at the specific request of the CHP (California Highway Patrol) due to hard cornering issues with only the dual shocks. The purpose was to prevent wheel hop during initial launch, but also to prevent wheel hop during acceleration at corner exit. I would leave them alone for autocross. That type of racing is basically what they were designed to help for.

Quick Reply: Remove quad shock for autocross