Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

suspension setup help

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 09:20 PM
d.girardi
2nd Gear Member

Default suspension setup help

i posted this in another sub forum and didnt get hardly any feedback so i figured the experts could give me a hand. thanks in advanced.

for right now im looking at the tokico hp shocks/struts, and H&R SS springs. any problems with this setup? does anyone have it, and if so, thoughts? i'm adding 18x10's in the back what size tires could i run with out issue, and would i need a bumpsteer kit
Old 09-08-2011, 07:21 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

What are the ULTIMATE goals for your ride?

The items listed are fine, but they would not work for my needs. The SS springs are an aggressive drop and will create some not so positive geometry changes to your suspension. I would expect a pretty harsh ride, but so long as the shocks/struts are properly matched to the springs, your handling will improve to a certain degree. Yes, you would be advised to run a bump-steer kit with the drop found on these springs.

Jazzer
Old 09-08-2011, 07:29 AM
d.girardi
2nd Gear Member

I want to daily drive it and continue to ax it. I've been to about 4 days now so I just want to make some improvements to my car. NTH does not bother me. But I am a highschooler until jan. So my budget is obviously limited by that, and I am hoping that my fox will be running by that point which will be my dedicated AXer.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:30 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

If you are looking to create a dedicated AX/track car, your #1 priority should be addressing the issues created by the 4-link out back. If you have read my suspension guide, you KNOW my feelings on those little beotches. If you have not read it, head in there and read up on a WL or PHB with TA upgrade. There is another way to address the issue, but not nearly as common, nor easy to upgrade.

Jazzer
Old 09-08-2011, 10:52 PM
d.girardi
2nd Gear Member

no, i mean the fox will be my dedicated AX. ill cross that bridge when it comes. im just looking for a daily/AX setup.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:48 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

If you are looking for a great AX experience on ANY pre-S197, the issues created by the 4-link out back are the single biggest mechanical issue between you and success. Driver-mod is absolutely #1, but so long as the UCA's are out back, you will have greater issues of front-end push and snap-steer. You can certainly AX with the 4-link, but is a big bonus to rid yourself of it!

I can recommend you look to an MM Grip Box for a nice kit that has been set-up to fill a specific need in cornering performance.

Jazzer
Old 09-09-2011, 01:38 PM
Hotchkis
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by d.girardi
i posted this in another sub forum and didnt get hardly any feedback so i figured the experts could give me a hand. thanks in advanced.

for right now im looking at the tokico hp shocks/struts, and H&R SS springs. any problems with this setup? does anyone have it, and if so, thoughts? i'm adding 18x10's in the back what size tires could i run with out issue, and would i need a bumpsteer kit

d.girardi – It’s cool that you’re starting young. How well are you doing on the autocross? If you’re pushing the car to its limitations on the course, tires are a good upgrade. Then you’ll need to control the body roll. With the other upgrades you mentioned, have you considered upgrading sway bars and/or trailing arms? Adjustable upper arms can really help increase traction and cornering.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:32 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Hotchkis
d.girardi – It’s cool that you’re starting young. How well are you doing on the autocross? If you’re pushing the car to its limitations on the course, tires are a good upgrade. Then you’ll need to control the body roll. With the other upgrades you mentioned, have you considered upgrading sway bars and/or trailing arms? Adjustable upper arms can really help increase traction and cornering.

^^good points! Tires & Control Arms are critical in all year Mustangs and with any racing discipline (road racing, auto-cross, drag racing).
Old 09-10-2011, 05:07 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by d.girardi
for right now im looking at the tokico hp shocks/struts, and H&R SS springs. any problems with this setup? does anyone have it, and if so, thoughts?
I have some H&R springs on another car with the Tokico Illuminas - if the general consensus of the Tokico "blues" being about the same as Illuminas set to about 2 or 3 (out of 5) is anywhere near right, the HP's aren't really going to be enough for autocross. For daily driving, maybe they'd be enough, maybe not. Depends on how much you mind the car moving around on its suspension as you drive.

I realize that I said "another car". But it is reasonable to assume that the same design team will come up with generally similar solutions regardless of the chassis. I happen to find the Illuminas to be relatively harsh-riding over sharp bumps, although they do seem to be reasonably good at damping the H&R springs once I've cranked the adjusters up to 4 or 5. The H&Rs ride firmly, but it's easily liveable. My wife does much better with the Illuminas set to 2. BTW, we're in our early 60's.

i'm adding 18x10's in the back what size tires could i run with out issue, and would i need a bumpsteer kit
Without getting into the overall diameter or clearance issues, you'll need at least 255/40 but could run at least up to 295/30.

I'd be careful about running much tire and/or wheel size stagger - it generally leads to heavier understeer than OE, and this is one of the problems that you're trying to solve.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 09-10-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:46 AM
d.girardi
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hotchkis

Im already running 245/45/18 all the way around on a summer tread. I didn't want to mess with sway bars yet as I don't really 100% understand which ones would be best for me. As for pushing it to its limits, I doubt it. It does understeer a little and from what I understand that's what you want, correct?

Quick Reply: suspension setup help