Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Do i REALLY need CC plates?...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 12:21 AM
Crispy2000Gt
2nd Gear Member

Question Do i REALLY need CC plates?...

going to order the sportline springs from AM and match them with Tokico front and rear shocks/struts from Stangmods

can get the set for about $578 but with the Caster Camber Plates it would be around $775.

This will be the first car i have lowered with the correct spring shock match and am curious about the CC plates, droped my M3 with just springs and never had the plates.... show me the light guys
Old 10-28-2011, 09:47 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Crispy2000Gt
going to order the sportline springs from AM and match them with Tokico front and rear shocks/struts from Stangmods

can get the set for about $578 but with the Caster Camber Plates it would be around $775.

This will be the first car i have lowered with the correct spring shock match and am curious about the CC plates, droped my M3 with just springs and never had the plates.... show me the light guys
You WILL need cc-plates to bring the camber into spec with Sportline springs. If you're looking to save a buck or two, the steel version of our UPR caster camber plates is a little cheaper than the billet aluminum version. These run $117 with the mustangforums discount: http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-s...plates-94.html
Old 10-28-2011, 09:53 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

No doubt....
Old 10-29-2011, 01:46 AM
Crispy2000Gt
2nd Gear Member

would i need them with the pro set, or a drop less agressive then the sportlines. say a 1.25 or 1.5 drop?
Old 10-31-2011, 08:11 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

would i need them with the pro set, or a drop less agressive then the sportlines. say a 1.25 or 1.5 drop?
The thing is, you don't ever really NEED cc-plates... when I was 16 (this is 19 years ago) I'd get bored and cut another half inch of coils off of the springs on my 88 LX. By the time it was all said and done, the car was riding the snubbers at all four corners. I never replaced the cc-plates on it.

But basically you have a [front] tire munching monster when you do that.

When you lower a Mustang at all (yes, including 1.25" drops) you should install the cc-plates and have the car aligned. That will ensure proper handling and tire wear.

I think you're looking at this the wrong way though. It sounds like you're looking for reasons NOT to buy the cc-plates, when in reality you should be looking at all of the reasons you SHOULD buy the cc-plates. For example, regardless of ride height, your car has strut suspension, so sloppiness in the factory cc-plates can mess up the tow, caster, camber, and steering/handling in general. Upgrading the cc-plates improves the handling even at stock height because the struts (which are a major portion of the front suspension) are attached more precisely. (in the case of UPR Products CC plates, you upgrade from soft rubber strut mount bushings the car came with to solid spherical bearings with our plates) The difference in steering is huge!
Old 12-24-2011, 09:08 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

I was happy to find a set used for only $100 shipped a few months ago. I hope to put them to use in a couple of weeks to a month if I get my disability approved in court next week.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:24 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Sharad is on the money here

CC plates not only allow you to get your car back in to alignment specs, but allow the addition of some caster as well. This is quite beneficial and particularly when one has installed wider wheels/tires up front. The OEM adjustment is minimal and why CC plates are of real benefit.

Jazzer don't run CC plates
Old 12-26-2011, 06:16 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
Sharad is on the money here
Absolutely.

CC plates not only allow you to get your car back in to alignment specs, but allow the addition of some caster as well. This is quite beneficial and particularly when one has installed wider wheels/tires up front. The OEM adjustment is minimal and why CC plates are of real benefit.
They also give you the freedom to set your cambers to a value that better suits your driving. Ford's range and preferred numbers are intended for the average driver, plus/minus some tolerance. Individually, there may well be a more advantageous setting.

Jazzer don't run CC plates
Might be just a wee bit difficult on your car, no?

Norm
Old 01-27-2012, 02:42 AM
Crispy2000Gt
2nd Gear Member

kinda old but, i bought the CC plates, love them
Old 01-27-2012, 03:44 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

kinda old but, i bought the CC plates, love them
Yep. People often think of the CC plates as only helping to adjust the alignment, but good CC plates like UPR's dramatically improve the steering feel by replacing the crappy factory strut bushings with spherical bushings which are solid. So it's a win-win proposition.

Quick Reply: Do i REALLY need CC plates?...