Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

setting up for street n drift need advice

Old 11-30-2011, 10:38 PM
1FJef

Default setting up for street n drift need advice

hey all looking to get a stang and have it set up for street and drifting.. doing a lot of home work of the different weights for the years and what i can spend. Im gonna try and make it as light as possible whatever year I get but most importantly is setting the suspension up.
doing any of you have experience in this area that could offer me some direction to go in.. I dont have a stang yet as Im still looking for the best year with best mods to go for along with suspension stuff... so your input will help me go down the right road.. thanks all.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:36 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I know you are gonna need lots of power, much torque and a stiff rear suspension, while a much softer front. Your budget is gonna need to be high for race tires that wear out EXTREMELY fast in drift events. You may want a tighter turning radius than the Mustang will offer OEM, so good idea to keep this in mind.

This is the bulk of what I understand about drift cars, so good luck and keep doing TONS of reasearch

Jazzer
Old 12-01-2011, 05:57 PM
2012StangMan
1st Gear Member

The biggest thing when trying to drift is getting the right suspension setup. Tire camber, tie rods, sway bars, the whole works. If you want to start competing in events then you will want to do some transmission upgrades like changing the gearing, short throw, or dog gears, which allow for easy and fast clutchless shifting. You would also want to upgrade the rear differential.It will get expensive really quick. The new 5.0s have plenty of power to drift. You don't really need alot of power to be able to drift. You just need enough to easily spin the rear tires, and you have to really be able to finess the clutch and gas to hold the drift. As for tires: Falken, Nitto, or Yokohama would be the choices. If you cant already tell I'm a Formula Drift fan. Look up Vaughn Gettin Jr. He drifts a new mustang... highly modified of course. If its just for fun.. then any stock vehicle with RWD and a manual trans would work.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:31 PM
1FJef

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
I know you are gonna need lots of power, much torque and a stiff rear suspension, while a much softer front. Your budget is gonna need to be high for race tires that wear out EXTREMELY fast in drift events. You may want a tighter turning radius than the Mustang will offer OEM, so good idea to keep this in mind.

This is the bulk of what I understand about drift cars, so good luck and keep doing TONS of reasearch

Jazzer
Yea research is my friend right now and always will be... I appreciate you commenting as I have never seen anybody around me drift a Stang just modded 240sx's which is one my main reasons and plus i want to drift a real modern day car.. Im really trying to find info on suspension set ups as I havent been too lucky finding guys who will disclose that info.. hahaha..
oh well ill keep searching away...
Old 12-01-2011, 07:35 PM
1FJef

Originally Posted by 2012StangMan
The biggest thing when trying to drift is getting the right suspension setup. Tire camber, tie rods, sway bars, the whole works. If you want to start competing in events then you will want to do some transmission upgrades like changing the gearing, short throw, or dog gears, which allow for easy and fast clutchless shifting. You would also want to upgrade the rear differential.It will get expensive really quick. The new 5.0s have plenty of power to drift. You don't really need alot of power to be able to drift. You just need enough to easily spin the rear tires, and you have to really be able to finess the clutch and gas to hold the drift. As for tires: Falken, Nitto, or Yokohama would be the choices. If you cant already tell I'm a Formula Drift fan. Look up Vaughn Gettin Jr. He drifts a new mustang... highly modified of course. If its just for fun.. then any stock vehicle with RWD and a manual trans would work.
Yea ive been watching Vaughn for quite some time now.. Yea im looking or trying to find his suspension set up but no luck... I drift now just not a stang but it will continue to be for fun and some local events here and there... I still want my ride to be done right so i have nothing to complain about.. !
Old 12-12-2011, 06:29 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

At some point, additional steering lock will be your friend.

Rear suspension-wise, I think you need to watch any available videos very closely to see if Vaughn is doing anything unusual with rear axle steer. This can be tinkered with via PHB or Watts link height and LCA inclinations, and you can make the car pretty "loose" that way. Separately from stiffening everything in the rear, actually.

Norm
Old 01-05-2012, 07:20 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

I know its a few weeks late but......

http://www.driftmustang.com/
Old 01-25-2012, 10:59 PM
sonicx
speed'n

I've worked with a FORMULA DRIFT driver before. The #1 thing any D1 driver would tell you, you need is practice. You could have the best set-up car but if you don't know what your doing it wont matter. Ever car is a bit different. So once you pick a car stick with it. Your starting at a disadvantage already in a mustang. Can it be done? Sure but its not the best choice.

In addition to (mustang specific) increasing your max steering angle, and locating your rear axle. I'd advise looking to a panhard bar or a watts link. Your going to have to stabalize your rear axle otherwise you won't have a predictable car for drift, which means you won't have a controllable car. Oh, and it should be obvious, but you have to have a limited slip rear end

Further parts your going to need (at least to start with): coilovers, strong control arms adj sway bars and have a limited slip rear end. You could drift with a open diff, but it'll be a lot harder, and it's very difficult to link up your drifts. You should look into getting light rims as well. Do all the typicall Mustang wieght reductions (see that thread). As for tires: super hard tread tires for the rear and soft on the front.