Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Not sure of this is the right place

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 06:48 AM
Laney47

Question Not sure of this is the right place

Hi everyone,
I'm not sure if this is the right forum or not but I have a question about my 2002 Mustang GT. Since I am the typical woman who only knows I have to put gas in the thing, have oil changes on time and drive...help!
The front end of my car just in the past day has decided to start talking to me....every time I hit a bump it makes this God awful squealing sound like a bed spring that's squeaky and it's driving me crazy...someone told me that it's possibly the ball joints, tie rod ends and link pins??? I have no idea what any of those are but I need to find out what something like this would end up costing....at least ball park...It seems all I do is put money into this vehicle and it's really getting old. I love the car but can't afford it much longer. Can anyone help me so that when I do take it somewhere I at least sound like I know what I"m talking about?
Thanks so much!
Old 12-03-2011, 07:51 AM
2012StangMan
1st Gear Member

Sounds like might be the ball joint to me. We just had one replaced in my parents Lincoln. It was about $600. But Lincoln's are notorious for having expensive repair prices. Not sure what it would cost you. Does it make a squeaking and popping sound when your sitting still and turn the wheels in either direction?
Old 12-03-2011, 09:05 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Laney..... this does sound like suspension bushings, but my advice is to do the following:

Talk with your freinds about where they bring cars to get fixed. They will be straight with you and give you an honest opinion of the repair experience they've had. I am in the service business and go out to peoples homes to fix stuff for a living. I have my own set of criteria in which I use to justify ANY sale or repair.

What is wrong?
Why did it fail?
What is it gonna take to fix it?
What is it gonna cost to fix it?
How long will my repair last?

If I cannot answer those 5 questions to the customer, I have no business asking him/her for money! VERY rarely, I don't have a complete answer on exactly what is needed, so I need to give a reasonable starting point. In more extreme cases, I need to prove what something isn't, by replacing a part that needs it anyway, based on mileage, age, etc.... EXAMPLE: If your original shocks have 75K miles on them and Ford says they are typically in need of replacing at 50K mile, the shoppe should be able to take you for a drive and explain how yours are failing and now a new one would be beneficial.

Do a little research and Google your "2002 Mustang maintenance schedule" and will find websites with a Ford list. This list will have what is expected as normal maintenance and will be helpful on what is reasonable to expect. You can then Google "cost to replace XXX on 2002 GT Mustang".

Jazzer
Old 12-03-2011, 10:28 AM
Laney47

Default The only way

The only way I can describe it is whenever I hit a bump in the road, no matter how bad the bump is, and sometimes (but not always) when I make a turn, it sounds like an old mattress that have the springs worn out. It's kind of a whiney, squeaky noise....Just picture trying to turn over on a mattress that the springs are worn out on and you'll hear the sound I"m talking about. It doesn't do a thing when I'm turning the wheel while sitting still. I've talked to several people I know and gotten a few places where they have taken their cars.....so I guess I"ll have to just take it and get estimates and see if they are all telling me it's the same thing.
Jazzer I sure do understand what you're saying...I just wish I knew what to do that isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg.....I've put so much money into this car already and just don't have it anymore. I know how car places love to try to "take" a woman and that's what scares me.
The unfortunate part of all this is, I do have a wonderful mechanic who also works out of his home, but when I called him last night he is now living over 50 miles away because his youngest son (age 3) was just diagnosed with leukemia, and he's spending all his time at the hospital. So that is very understandable. Now I don't know what to do.
But I do want to thank you both for your advice. it is very much appreciated!
Laney
Old 12-03-2011, 01:26 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

The days of taking advantage of a woman are not as bad as they used to be, but certainly do exist. The biggest difference is the shoppe MUST BY LAW give you the replaced parts or at least offer them to you. This is helpful to confirm that stuff was done and they should be able to show you the wear/damage to the part, while it is on a work bench or in his/her hand.

Just remember to ask what is being done and why. ANY honest/reputable shoppe will have no issues explaining this. If they do, or talk down to you in the SLIGHTEST way..... leave and go somewhere else!

Jazzer wishes Laney sucess in a moderate and inexpensive repair
Old 12-03-2011, 01:51 PM
Laney47

Thanks Jazzer...I"ll keep you up to snuff with what happens! You've been very helpful!!! Have a great weekend!
Old 12-05-2011, 03:55 PM
Laney47

Default Jazz...

Well, I took my car to a mechanic that everyone at work loves and he tells me that it's a control arm bushing on the right front. Since I work with all these people he said he would give me a good price on the part as well as the labor and will let me know tomorrow what it will be.

I trust this guy as one person said she took her Toyota into one place and they wanted over $500 to do what needed to be done....(I really don't know what it was as I wasn't paying attention to the mechanical part of it, only the money part...lol). This guy did it for her for $120! I also called my son who owns a Mustang and is a member of a Mustang Club. He and all his friends are constantly working on their Mustangs so I certainly trust him. He said what this guy is telling me is most likely true as that would be his first guess also. Sooo it sure pays to check around and I certainly appreciate everyone's input. Will let you know what happens....in the meantime, I'm thinking seriously that it's time to move on and out of the Mustang. I love it but it's just too much car for me and I really need something a little more economical (since hubby just lost his job). We'll see!!
Old 12-05-2011, 07:15 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Repair description certainly falls under what you said was happening.

Good luck

Jazzer
Old 12-05-2011, 08:02 PM
2012StangMan
1st Gear Member

If you want something new just do a trade in on a new v6...