Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Help Wanting coil overs/springs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 03:45 PM
94potential

Default Help Wanting coil overs/springs?

I recently got a great deal on this 94 mustang gt 5.0... Its in the garage because i live in minnesota so i am wanting to make it my project.
I wanna start on the susp and drop it 1.5 inch or so... I am looking at putting new spring or coilovers all around the car...I realize coil over cost much more but can any one shoot me in the right direction on where i can get a decent price on coilovers for my 94...or if i even need them and should stick with just ford racing springs.. Any advice would be very helpfule
Old 12-26-2011, 04:50 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

In case you weren't yet aware... you dont have to tell us that your GT is a 5.0

we kinda figured that part out already.

If you do decide to lower the car, go with a good spring like the H&R SuperSports, and a good strut, such as the Tokico Illuminas, or Strange 10 ways.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:02 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Is the 1.5" lowering primarily for appearance or are you going to get involved with spring changes and ride height tinkering until you get a particular handling balance or other behavior?

DD, road course/auto-X, drag strip, show - where do you see yourself taking this project?

Just my opinion, but the difference between a coilover spring that gives 200 lb/in out at the wheel and a conventional "big spring" that gives the same result is going to be more in the way of ride quality/NVH than in any performance difference that you could measure.

Out of curiosity, whose shocks and struts are on the car now? Dampers may not be as 'glamorous' as springs and sta-bars, but they contribute at least as much to the overall "feel" of the car (and they do affect grip, believe it or not).

Norm
Old 12-26-2011, 07:42 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Maximum Motorsports. Enough said.

My car has an entire MM suspension front and rear and the thing handles like a dream. Coil-overs is the way to go. When I changed my car over to 5 lug and got a different Caster/Camber plates I had to lift the front of the car up a little and I easily did it with the coil-overs. Set-length springs dont give you that option.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:59 PM
94potential

well i really would like a little more handling but its not that big of a deal to me.. i just really want the car to look nice and clean with a nice dropand better then what its got.. That car is bone stock... Im thinking of going with springs and i am deciding if i should go with a decent new strut as well..
Old 12-28-2011, 11:06 AM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

To do coilovers the right way, you'll have about a thousand dollars in the setup. We can certainly set you up with UPR coilovers, but based on the few things you said in your post, I think you'd be well served by our UPR Pro Series springs.

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-e...prings-v8.html

I have them on my car and they work great. Plus they're only $199 with a Lifetime Guarantee.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:24 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
In case you weren't yet aware... you dont have to tell us that your GT is a 5.0

we kinda figured that part out already.

If you do decide to lower the car, go with a good spring like the H&R SuperSports, and a good strut, such as the Tokico Illuminas, or Strange 10 ways.
You may consider proper punctuation on your sentences. In case you haven't figured it out, "dont" has an appostrophe between the "N" and "T". The reason being, is that it takes the place of the "O" in "not". You see, you could write "do not" or "don't" and would be proper English.

Just wanting to help you out a bit, Adder
Old 01-02-2012, 12:13 PM
94potential

Gee thanks..If you wanna teach english join a diffrent forum or choose a diffrent carrer feild.. I Obviously suck at spelling and puncuation.. so if you want to give me More lessons on proper english email me whatever you would like but please post car things not snotty remarks or go do something productive.. thanks for your quick response
Old 01-02-2012, 01:10 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

94... pay more attention, as I was referring to Adder and why I quoted his reply. He is an ABSOLUTE *** to nearly everyone to whom he chooses to respond

He has been infracted multiple times for being a total jerk to members here. Did you not notice his reply to your question?

Jazzer