Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

What are my options to lower?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 11:07 PM
FormlessGT
1st Gear Member

Default What are my options to lower?

What should I get if I want to lower my 02 Convertible by 2 inches in the front and rear? Any kit recommendations? Thank you.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:56 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

That is a very aggressive drop and really don't recommend it Issues of suspension geometry come into play and creates some funky issues without getting into more serious modifications.

What are the ULTIMATE goals for your ride?

Jazzer
Old 02-23-2012, 12:11 AM
FormlessGT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
That is a very aggressive drop and really don't recommend it Issues of suspension geometry come into play and creates some funky issues without getting into more serious modifications.

What are the ULTIMATE goals for your ride?

Jazzer
Well, I guess 2" would be a bit extreme, maybe 1" 1/4. I just want it lowered to look good when I get my staggered set of 03 Cobra wheels. 315s in the back. I just want to know what would be recommended for a lowering kit. Not looking at coilovers btw.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:20 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

You may want to purchase a kit that already includes springs and dampers. There are lots of them out there and will have parts matched to work well together. Be advised that there are some small issues that come into play with even a moddest drop. You will pick up some negative camber (top of front wheels tilted inward) and will create some un-even tire wear up front. This can be addressed, via CC plates, but they will add a bit of NVH (Noise Vibration Harshness) to your ride, so just be advised of this.

I can recommend you contact Sam Strano (Stranoparts.com) and/or Sharad (UPR Products.com). Either can work with you to be totally custom, or hit up AM or MM for some kits that are already matched together.

Jazzer
Old 02-23-2012, 11:05 AM
FormlessGT
1st Gear Member

Hey, thanks for the advice Jazzer. I'll probably look into AM and see what they have to offer.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:46 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Thanks for the recommendation Jazzer.

Here's what we put on my dad's '04 GT vert (that was my daily driver for a while)

Eibach Springs (these are UPR Pro Series springs, made by Eibach, spec out the same as Pro Kit)
http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-e...prings-v8.html

Strange 10-way adjustable struts and shocks
http://www.uprproducts.com/strange-m...-strut-94.html
http://www.uprproducts.com/strange-m...-shock-94.html

cc-plates are recommended as well
http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-b...plates-94.html

Anyway, our vert handled nicely, with good traction in a straight line and in the corners, but the ride quality was still good. It was a nice combo.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:52 PM
FormlessGT
1st Gear Member

Hey, that setup looks awesome man and not too expensive. It's my daily driver as well so this would e perfect.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:44 AM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by FormlessGT
Hey, that setup looks awesome man and not too expensive. It's my daily driver as well so this would e perfect.
Thanks. It's was a nice setup. It cruised nice and smooth with the top down (date night mode) but when I was feeling froggy, I'd pull into a parking lot, stiffen up the shocks and struts (takes about two minutes with no tools), and go attack the corners.

You can give us a call at 561.588.6630 if you'd like to pick up the same setup. We do offer MF forum members a 10% discount on everything we manufacture, but since the dampeners are Strange Engineering and the springs are Eibach, the discount would apply to the cc-plates. I can throw in a t-shirt and some stickers though.