Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Picking out my rear sway bar

Old 04-12-2012, 12:39 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I know I'm kind of late to the party, but just installing the parts isn't the end of the mod. Even if you put a lot of thought into the exact part number choices, that only gets you in the ball park and you can expect to have to tune things a bit from there. The only way I know is to drive it for a while, hard enough at times to get a feel for how it responds and whether it has any "surprises" in store for you when driven hard (be kind of careful here, too much throttle on corner exit with too much rear bar can and will bring the car around on you if you aren't expecting the possibility). Then, tweak accordingly. Keep in mind that you probably will be driving the car in wet weather as well, so don't get too carried away with stiffening up the bar from just dry weather testing. Don't try to hit your "final setting" in one shot, sneak up on it.

That a rear bar does not involve any separate work like alignment or strut/coilover disassembly/reassembly makes it a lot easier to delay buying/installing it until you have a better idea about how much stiffer in roll you really want or need that end of the car to be.

Don't buy a stiff rear bar with the idea of it being a main player in reducing chassis roll. Anything stiff enough to do that is too stiff for anything but drag racing (but probably too soft to be very good at that unless you actually bought a "drag-race antiroll bar").

Norm