Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Picking out my rear sway bar

Old 04-05-2012, 07:30 PM
V6Stang93
1st Gear Member

Default Picking out my rear sway bar

Hi everyone, I am going to replace my suspension with in the next couple months as my shocks are shot and I figure since I'm going in there might as well do everything I want to it now.

I'm going to put tokico D-spec shocks, H/R Race Springs, steeda x2 ball joints, upr's adjustable LCA, FLSFC, upr's 4 bolt C/C plates, upr's bumpsteer, and upr's spring iso's.

Anyways I want to tie it all together with a rear sway bar, but I'm unsure on what diameter to pick. I was looking at this website, http://www.miracerros.com/mustang/sway2.htm, which has some good info, but I'm still a little unsure of which would be best for me. I was thinking a 24mm, but that is just my best guess.
Oh and I'm looking for some really good cornering out of my car, but it will be my DD for quite some time, just to give you some info.

Thanks for your help everyone!
Old 04-05-2012, 08:49 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Do you currently have understeer or oversteer? With the set-up you are about to install... WILL you have understeer or oversteer?*

Why do you want a new rear sway bar?

Jazzer

*that is a trick question, because you cannot possibly know the answer yet
Old 04-06-2012, 03:01 AM
V6Stang93
1st Gear Member

Haha well I know right now I have understeer. Obivously I won't know forsure untill I put everything on, but I'm assuming it won't be that much of a difference when talking about under or oversteer? Ether way it seems as if you are hinting at waiting till I get everything put on to pick on out.

To answer your other question: I wanted one to be the last component to stiffen up my ride and since I'm without one, I have a 01 v6, I figured I'd through it on.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:39 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Ya.... you will "probably" want one, but am more than just hinting you wait until everything is done . If you do decide that a rear bar is for you, I'd recommend an adjustable one. I run an MM RSB and offers the option of replacement bars, if your needs change or your bar is too heavy/light.

Get everything all installed and see how she does

Jazzer
Old 04-06-2012, 08:32 AM
V6Stang93
1st Gear Member

Gotcha, I cant wait to get it all together and rip through corners When I do get everything together, how will I know if I really need one and which diameter? Just by feel?
Old 04-06-2012, 09:09 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Good question and the answer needs to be based on how your car responds. The MM RSB#4 is slightly stiffer than the '99~'04 GT bar, at its softest setting. I purchased it and ended up increasing the resistance, until I had to go up to a #5 bar. I am currently at the 2nd or 3rd level of stiffness and been great for quite a while. Now, I run AX and push my car very hard in those conditions, so has been good. I may tinker with it again, as I am currently getting my front suspension rebuilt and changing some things with geometry.

If you have a buddies New Edge GT bar you could borrow for a day or two, for testing, this would be ideal. It will give you an idea of your needs and make a decision from there.

Jazzer
Old 04-06-2012, 11:07 AM
V6Stang93
1st Gear Member

Interesting, so just kind of test it out to the best of my ability. I was looking at MM adjustable sway bar and I was wondering how you make adjustment to it?
Old 04-06-2012, 07:13 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

There are 4 holes in the arms of the sway bar and equal number of holes in the bracket that connects to the frame of your car. One just moves the end-link back to increase resistance. I am VERY happy with mine and much prefer that the bar looks to hold the axle relative to the FRAME rather than the LCA's to each other. This offers better control and the adjustability is a key component.

Jazzer
Old 04-07-2012, 12:27 PM
V6Stang93
1st Gear Member

Cool, ill look into getting one of those when I get to that point. Thanks for all the information oh master of Suspension
Old 04-07-2012, 12:42 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Thanks, but by NO MEANS a master of suspension I have learned quite a bit over the years, but my knowledge is quite basic and pretty much runs out on more serious discussions of geometry and such

Jazzer

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Picking out my rear sway bar