Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Suspension gurus help please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 01:14 PM
HOTRODD77
2nd Gear Member

Exclamation Suspension gurus help please!

So I have another thread on thisalready, but I fear I inadvertently put too much info in there that may have clouded the issue. I also realized I probably should've put it here rather than the s197 handling section. Lowere with Koni str's, Steeda sports, and Steeda HD mounts. 3 weeks driving with no issues, then out of nowhere I have a horrible squeak from the front driver's side. It happens over speedbumps, or any little imperfection in the road. I believe it's only the driver's side and not the pass. In this vido I was letting the car roll for a bi, then applying full brake so the front wouldbounce slightly. The noise heard sounds the same when the conditions above are listed. This happens more when it's warm than cool. Torque was checked on all parts. What is this?? Again, I'm sorry for the second thread, but I am desperate here...

Old 04-10-2012, 08:54 AM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!

Sort of sounds like a brake wear indicator to me. Another suggestion would be to pull the pads and put some disc brake anti-squeal on the backs where they make contact with the calipers, you can buy it in little packets at the counter of most Auto parts places.

Hopefully that's the solution.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:56 PM
moochman4life
3rd Gear Member

A while back I started getting a squeek around 4 months after I installed Roush springs (no other suspension mods). The squeek was as you described it: over everything from speedbumps to road imperfections. I threw my ride up on the lift, and low and behold, my shock broke and exploded oil. I changed out all four corners with my Tokicos, and all squeeking went away.

I'm not at all saying this is what happened to you, but it's something to check.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:05 PM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!

Originally Posted by moochman4life
A while back I started getting a squeek around 4 months after I installed Roush springs (no other suspension mods). The squeek was as you described it: over everything from speedbumps to road imperfections. I threw my ride up on the lift, and low and behold, my shock broke and exploded oil. I changed out all four corners with my Tokicos, and all squeeking went away.

I'm not at all saying this is what happened to you, but it's something to check.
I think I saw a video of that with the strut out of the car making that same noise when rebounding, I remember now where I saw that. It was in the other thread about this issue. That sucks to have to tear it all back down to find it but I'm with you, that noise would drive me crazy!

Last edited by Jeffk; 04-10-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:23 PM
HOTRODD77
2nd Gear Member

Checked the brakes yesterday and they look fine. Need replacing soon, but no problems. I was braking like that in the video ti get the front end to bounce so it would make the noise. Put the car up on a lift yesterday and checked all the bolts on everything, as well as looking the front struts over(no leaking). Everything 'looks' fine, and is tight. It looks like I'm going to have to disassemble everything to check any further. I thought about trying to spray some silicone spray in on the strut shaft, as well as trying to get some inside the steeda mount(not sure if that's a good idea or not with the mount) to try and further pinpoint the cause. This thing is driving me crazy.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:13 PM
freyes
2nd Gear Member

Check the clocking of your lower spring isolators. Sometimes these things come loose and you have metal on metal (spring on strut) squeaking. Compare the driver with the passenger side.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:16 PM
HOTRODD77
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by freyes
Check the clocking of your lower spring isolators. Sometimes these things come loose and you have metal on metal (spring on strut) squeaking. Compare the driver with the passenger side.
Yeah, I now have a laundry list for harbor freight to pick up this weekend, lol. I'm just going to disassemble everything and check it. I'm really intimidated by doing this though; it will be the first time I've done any of it. Just gotta wait until I can get some time off. Hopefully all goes well.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:51 PM
moochman4life
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by HOTRODD77
Yeah, I now have a laundry list for harbor freight to pick up this weekend, lol. I'm just going to disassemble everything and check it. I'm really intimidated by doing this though; it will be the first time I've done any of it. Just gotta wait until I can get some time off. Hopefully all goes well.
It might seem silly, but what helped me early on when doing my own work was taking pictures or vids of everything put together, and then some more as I disassembled so I had a reference to go back to in case I felt like I ****ed something up.

Trust me, when you (not YOU, but anyone) have that car up on the lift and really start looking around, you'll realize that it's actually not as complicated as you think it is.

And just make sure you allot yourself plenty of time (including overhead) to get it done so you don't feel rushed. If that means finding an alternate way of getting to work or something, so be it. Make sure you do it right.

Last edited by moochman4life; 04-11-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:14 PM
HOTRODD77
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moochman4life
It might seem silly, but what helped me early on when doing my own work was taking pictures or vids of everything put together, and then some more as I disassembled so I had a reference to go back to in case I felt like I ****ed something up.

And just make sure you allot yourself plenty of time (including overhead) to get it done so you don't feel rushed. If that means finding an alternate way of getting to work or something, so be it. Make sure you do it right.
That's a good idea. I wasble to pull next weekend off, so I'll have two full days in case I needthe time. I did go grab some goodies today to do the job

I don't know if I'm 100 sold on the jack. I might be bringing it back to exchange it for this one

It's a full inch lower and quite a bit longer, plus itlifts quite a bit higher. Idk too much about jacks. I do know it's $60 more though, lol...
Old 04-13-2012, 08:23 PM
jsnyng
2nd Gear Member

I have the jack that you bought. It is fantastic for jacking the car up at the track to change tires, but it will barely lift the car enough to get those jackstands under it. If you've got a Sam's Club nearby, they have an Arcan 3.5 ton low profile jack that is a beast and really gets the car off the ground, model XL35. I use the Arcan at home and the lightweight Pittsburgh at the track.

Northern Tool also sells that jack, but it's more expensive than Sam's or Costco.

Last edited by jsnyng; 04-13-2012 at 08:31 PM.