Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Should I get this sway bar?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 08:23 PM
Dr.Le
2nd Gear Member

Default Should I get this sway bar?

Okay, so i found a sway bar for a good price, $20.

the seller says its from a fox body and its a solid bar.

my rear current has no sway bar, and ive heard that a solid bar from a fox body is a great set up. is this true? what about over steering problems?

I've read the info from this great article http://miracerros.com/mustang/sway2.htm
i think most of us are familiar w/ it.

my question is "what is the current size of the fox body solid bar?" (the one im about to buy)

"after all, is this a good set up or bad and why?"

btw, I do have the stock front sway and according to the above article, it is 27mm thick bar. (hollow or solid?)

Thanks

My ride is DD and im getting 4.10 gears this month (still shopping around) for an auto v6.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:36 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Well... a sway bar is a tuning device for suspension. Regardless of the cost, it must meet the needs of your ride. With this said, installing a rear sway bar on a V6 that did not have one OEM, is often a nice upgrade to balance the car out a bit.

I do not know enough about the different thicknesses and interchanging models to give you any specifics. If your car currently has understeer and you want to tame it a bit, than a rear bar is certainly worth considering. For the price, pretty hard to go wrong, just would need to install it and find a large parking lot in which to push it a bit and see the results.

Jazzer
Old 04-24-2012, 02:00 AM
Dr.Le
2nd Gear Member

^ thanks, btw, I read your "official suspension guide" several times to get some background knowledge. (great article)

I've gathered other info on the net and found that the sway bar from a fox body 79-04 will fit on my current setup.

its a solid bar, so im worried about over-steering. (haha that gives me an excuse to get a stronger front sway bar too?)

the empty parking lot idea is temping!!! but 4.10s are coming in so i cant drive it hard yet.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:35 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

For $20, you really cannot go wrong!

You don't have to be hard on the driveline to confirm under/oversteer issues. Just go to that parking lot and do a whole bunch of turns under different conditions (accelerating hard and not soo hard) and get a feel for it. Quite likely you will have a lot of understeer, so this bar just might be the ticket for you.

Jazzer
Old 05-16-2012, 03:57 AM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

I recently read that the new edge rear control arms were mounted to be a little "wider" than the foxes were. I just rebuilt the rear suspension of my daughter's '83 using control arms and sway bar from an '04. I also replaced the rubber bushings with polyurethane. Getting the uppers to line up was a bear, but after two hours of cussing and pounding, it finally went. The lowers were very easy and the rear sway bar bolted right up.

My point is that despite some minor differences, the rear suspension was essentially the same from '79 to '04. You should not have any fitment issues.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:11 AM
Dr.Le
2nd Gear Member

^ great, thanks for the confirmation.

i ended up getting another sway bar for the same price. its the stock 21mm (0.83").

the seller said both of his v6 came w/ a rear sway bar (man some ppl have all the luck!!!).

He updated to a bigger bar so he sold me this one for cheap.

results?

Loved it and was very impressed. it was a dramatic difference especially since my stang did not come stock w/ one. im amazed at how a small bar can have such an effect.

haha, im taking corners a lot faster now. i dont have LSD yet but it feels like there's even more balance at the take-off..

HOWEVER.... in the back of my mind, i keep thinking.... man how would it be w/ a bigger bar.... like... like 24inch from GT instead of 21inch from v6.... haha... yeah its never enough huh?
Old 05-17-2012, 06:34 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by Dr.Le
"... i dont have LSD yet but it feels like there's even more balance at the take-off..
I could hook you up, but usually hurts ones balance. Just keep it on the downlow

Jazzer The Pusher