Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Suspension
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 05-18-2012, 01:55 PM   #1
robbiegtp

Vehicle: 1994 ford mustang
Default new control arms and springs now knock from rear???

I just installed upper and lower tubular control arms in the rear and installed lowering springs now when im taking off or when giving it gas i get a knock noise from the rear. I checked all my bolts everything is tight. What could be causing this? Its a 94 mustang. thanks for the help
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
robbiegtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1998 Wrangler
Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!

You might get more responses if you post in the generation specific section. I wish I could help you figure it out...

How much did you lower it? Could it be the driveshaft making contact with the floor pan?
Old 05-18-2012, 06:59 PM   #3
V6Stang93
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2001 V6 Mustang

Is it kind of a creaking sound? Because I have a Knocking/creaking noise that is coming from my rear and I believe its from my LCA's.

Future Parts: Bama Custom Tune/ T-lok and 3.75's/ Windstar intake
V6Stang93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:57 PM   #4
robbiegtp

ya more of a knock when stopping and accelorating. But on turns sometimes its creaking. Anyway to get rid of the noise? Control arms are brand new
Old 05-18-2012, 11:54 PM   #5
V6Stang93
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2001 V6 Mustang

I dunno, I literally just installed mine 5 days ago, haven't figured any solution out yet.

Future Parts: Bama Custom Tune/ T-lok and 3.75's/ Windstar intake
V6Stang93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:15 AM   #6
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1997 SVT Cobra
Daniel Merrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiegtp View Post
I just installed upper and lower tubular control arms in the rear and installed lowering springs now when im taking off or when giving it gas i get a knock noise from the rear. I checked all my bolts everything is tight. What could be causing this? Its a 94 mustang. thanks for the help
If the control arms have Heim joints they should break in and stop creaking in a short time.
If you have poly bushings, the noise can be permanent if the bushings are not grease-able. Some companies ship a special silicone installation grease that counters these noises. If they are installed dry they can make quite a bit of noise and it may not go away.

Fondest memories: 1969 428CJ, it was stolen 60 days after complete rebuild.....
Worst memory: 1965 Notch back, rolled end over end, 2 days after rebuild, fractured Strut-bar..... Lesson learned: ALWAYS upgrade the front suspension of an early Mustang!
Worst mustang: 1974 4-cyl auto (it was cheap, I was broke...).
Favorite body style 1965/66 Fastback.
Present stable: 1997 SVT Cobra, 50k miles, Paciffic Green w/ tan leather & lots of goodies.
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:27 AM   #7
robbiegtp

ya i lubed the joints they got quieter but then came back after some driving. The noise is really annoying. Do all the aftermarket poly arms make noise? I might have to buy new ones
Old 05-20-2012, 11:27 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1997, arm, control, kit, knock, lowering, muscles, mustang, powered, rear, springs, vbulletin, ways