Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Steeda Boss Springs on 09 GT

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 03:01 PM
Hamidar05
2nd Gear Member

Default Steeda Boss Springs on 09 GT

Figured I'd post my experience for the benefit of all Mustang Kind.

To summarize, if you've replaced springs and struts before, it's pretty easy if you have air tools. I had not done it before and found out that everything is metric, so I had to go on a few tool runs and it ended up taking me the better part of a day and the next morning... so weekend project if you need to drive it to work on Monday. Between the Steeda instructions and online research, all the information you need is out there.

Parts I installed were;
Steeda Boss Springs (Thanks Steeda)
Koni STR.T Struts and Shocks (Thanks Strano Parts)
GT 500 Strut Mounts (Thanks American Muscle)

Besides the tools, the other issue I had was the stock front sway bar end link. Putting it back on tight is a pain, and I would recommend a review of this thread unless you are going aftermarket on your sway bars too. If you get a clunk, this is the first thing to check.
https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197...-endlinks.html

Before and After Looks;
Note the tires/rims are 275x45x18 Conti DW Ext/Drag DR-31 18x9 +38mm offset.

Rear Before

Rear After

Measure Rear Before

Measure Rear After

Front Before

Front After

The ruler is a bit misleading and difficult to see the results for the front. I think the height is about the same, though Steeda said to expect 0.75" reduction in height. Granted this pic is before I drove it and they may settled a bit. The ruler is a bit subjective, but the before and after pics look right.

Front Measure Before

Front Measure After

Performance results:
Huge improvement over stock. I don't have any track times or things like that to compare against, but I could not be happier. Stock felt like mush after I did an HPDE run. If/when I do it again, I will do it with much more confidence. I do know I have yet to squeal the tires around turns on the street, and I have scared myself going speeds I could not before.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:04 PM
Hamidar05
2nd Gear Member

Oh.. and I did not put in an adjustable pan hard bar, still have the stock.

I did not measure for any rear offsets, but by visual inspection I don't see a delta of any significance.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:36 AM
SteedaBrandon
Former Sponsor

Looks great Darren!
Old 06-11-2012, 08:12 PM
Hamidar05
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SteedaBrandon
Looks great Darren!
Thanks Brandon

I am really pleased with the springs and the huge handling improvement! Really glad you guys came up with these springs that just happened to be exactly what I was looking for! Even my wife said the ride felt more stable and confident. You can't loose with that comment.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:31 AM
SteedaBrandon
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Hamidar05
Thanks Brandon

I am really pleased with the springs and the huge handling improvement! Really glad you guys came up with these springs that just happened to be exactly what I was looking for! Even my wife said the ride felt more stable and confident. You can't loose with that comment.
Great to hear you're satisfied!

Have you got those pulleys installed yet?

Just let us know if we can help you with anything else!
Old 06-14-2012, 06:19 PM
dbernotus
1st Gear Member

I've been thinking about lowering mine. How does it handle after the springs,struts, and shocks install ? I'm just a little worried about hitting bumps and **** in the road, thats why I havent pulled the trigger yet.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:28 PM
Hamidar05
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dbernotus
I've been thinking about lowering mine. How does it handle after the springs,struts, and shocks install ? I'm just a little worried about hitting bumps and **** in the road, thats why I havent pulled the trigger yet.
Only Mustang comparison I have is the stock setup. When I first got the car I thought it was pretty nice. Then after I started driving a little harder and did an HPDE session, the suspension felt like mush. Heavy body lean, acceleration and brake dive, at that point I felt like I had to fix it. I really only wanted to lower the rear which is very high compared to the front, but everything I saw lowered the front an inch or more. I saw a thread with the expected results for these springs and thought they might be a nice fit. Like I said, I am pleased beyond my expectations.

I have to say the ride is slightly harsher since the rates are so much higher than the stock springs, but on the freeway, cornering, acceleration and braking, it feels like night and day and that is what I was looking for. I'd love to compare to a 12 or 13 Boss, but no one is letting me borrow any keys...

I did have a 2010 Camaro which other than the understeer seemed to handle and have a better ride than the stock Mustang, but now the Mustang would do circles around it.

Just depends on what you think you want and what you are willing to live with.

I also have 45 series tires to try and keep from getting too thin a sidewall and hurting a rim or popping a tire against pot holes and debris. I think they help a bit with ride also. I am not sure I could go any lower in the front and not either rub or be too close for comfort.

Good luck
Old 06-18-2012, 10:36 AM
SteedaBrandon
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dbernotus
It is definitely a compromise, however I think you'll find its advantages outweigh its disadvantages. Our springs do provide the best ride quality of all on the market.

Let me know when you're ready, I'd be glad to help.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:57 AM
davisr014
2nd Gear Member

Looks good and a great write up.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:45 PM
Hamidar05
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the nice comment.

When I get some more cash and upgrade the brakes a bit, I'm going to do a couple HPDE runs and really see how it goes. Stock suspension felt like mush for the runs I did!