Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Plan on lowering...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 02:39 PM
a_lopez1975
4th Gear Member

Default Plan on lowering...

About to lower my Stang
Ok, so a friend of mines is about to hook me up with a set of front Eibach Springs (1 inch drop) with struts. Now all I'm looking for is a basic set up now for daily driving. So with my limited knowledge, I'm assuming that rear springs with shocks and a panhard rod Should be good for now.. I'm hoping this will be fine for a few months until I'm able to purchase more suspension parts.

CJ Pony has a pair of BMR Rear Lowering Springs with a 1.75 inch drop for $144.85.. I was also looking at the sites Lakewood Drag Shock 50/50 Rear for $64.55 each.

I plan on getting the J&M adjustable Panhard Rod from American Muscle for $119.99.. Total will be roughly under $400..

Anyways, I was just wondering if I'm on the right track or I'm going about this totally wrong.. As mentioned before, just need a basic set up to hold me down for a few months then I will be able to get other parts.. However, I can spend an extra $200 if I'm really missing something important.. Any input or advice (i.e. different brand of springs or shocks, other aftermarket companies that ship APO, ect) will be appreciated.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:24 PM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

Sounds like a solid plan to me, except maybe the rear springs. At a 1" drop up front and a 1.75" drop in the rear, I think you run the risk of having the rear lower than front. I don't know for sure, as I know from the factory there is a bit of a rake. I think Roush rear springs are closer to 1-1.25" of a drop and they are sold in pairs for close to the same price.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:51 AM
a_lopez1975
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the input BleedinBlue. Well, I made a slight mistake. I'm only getting the Front Struts (not the Springs). Just placed the order and went with the BMR Lower Springs Set (Red-Powder Coat), Lakewood, Drag Shock 50/50, and Steeda Panhard Bar Brace Heavy Duty. Should be here next week hopefully, can't wait..

Last edited by a_lopez1975; 07-02-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:23 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by a_lopez1975
About to lower my Stang
Ok, so a friend of mines is about to hook me up with a set of front Eibach Springs (1 inch drop) with struts. Now all I'm looking for is a basic set up now for daily driving. So with my limited knowledge, I'm assuming that rear springs with shocks and a panhard rod Should be good for now.. I'm hoping this will be fine for a few months until I'm able to purchase more suspension parts.

CJ Pony has a pair of BMR Rear Lowering Springs with a 1.75 inch drop for $144.85.. I was also looking at the sites Lakewood Drag Shock 50/50 Rear for $64.55 each.

I plan on getting the J&M adjustable Panhard Rod from American Muscle for $119.99.. Total will be roughly under $400..

Anyways, I was just wondering if I'm on the right track or I'm going about this totally wrong.. As mentioned before, just need a basic set up to hold me down for a few months then I will be able to get other parts.. However, I can spend an extra $200 if I'm really missing something important.. Any input or advice (i.e. different brand of springs or shocks, other aftermarket companies that ship APO, ect) will be appreciated.
a_lopez1975,

This sounds like a solid plan! I don't see a problem with running just the front set up for a few weeks until you can get the rear springs under there. You are just gonna have some serious rake until you lower the back, the front is already about an inch or so lower then the back from the factory.

Pan hard Rod is a great item, you will be very happy with that product. I may steer away from Lakewoods if your looking for just a daily driver set up. Lakewoods are designed for the drag strip for sure!

You have your head in the right place, Let me know if there is anything I can do to assist you!

- Dan
Old 07-02-2012, 01:04 PM
a_lopez1975
4th Gear Member

Thanks Dan. I bought the spring sets (front and rear), panhard, and the lakewood's.. From what you have just said about the lakewood's, I hope it does not become an issue. Not sure if this had to do with suspensions, but I bought a steeda bracket shifter from American Musle. It came with a red and black plastic piece. I'm assuming the red is for street use. Also a while ago I got a CAI and SCT from American Muscle. Do I have to update my tunes once suspension parts are installed??
Old 07-02-2012, 04:28 PM
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

You absolutely do not want to drive the street with "drag" shocks on the car. They are called "drag" shocks for a reason, they are not intended for street use, your car will be uncontrollable under conditions you commonly see on the street.
They are only designed for smooth roads and NO cornering.

Maybe Jazzer can toss in his 2 cents, it is needed here.

Last edited by Old Mustanger; 07-02-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:56 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Although, I see lots of pepes that run drag shocks on the street, I am of a similar mind to The Old Stanger on this one I just have limited knowledge on different dampers and particularly, those designed for the strip. I am a 100% corner-carving dedicated kitty and not a fan of how 1/4 mile suspension performs on the street. The fronts tend to be VERY soft, to allow weight transfer and the rear wants a heavy anti-roll bar. This leads to easily achieved conditions of oversteer and can find oneself in trouble, if not really cautious on cornering.

Jazzer
Old 07-03-2012, 07:22 AM
a_lopez1975
4th Gear Member

@OLD Mustanger and Jazzer

Thanks for that information. Fortunately, those shocks were on back order so I will call CJ Pony to have them cancelled. However, I managed to aquire a pair of front struts (Eibach Pro's) from a friend for a very good deal and he only had them on his car for less than 6 months. So all I need now are some Rear Shocks. So basically I've been going through some sites (UPR, American Muslce, Late Model Restoration, and CJ Pony's) to see which ones sell only rear shocks rather having to by a whole shock/strut set.

So far I have my eyes on the KYB Shock Rear Excel-G from CJ Pony's and on LateModel for about $45$ each and the KYB Shock Rear Gas-A-Just V6/GT 2005-2012 for about $64 each.

Not sure about any other sites, since 90% of the time I purchase from American Muslce, but any other links will help.. I live in Europe and cornering is very important

Last edited by a_lopez1975; 07-03-2012 at 07:52 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:24 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

If you are really into cornering, I suggest you look toward what works well for your needs, rather than a lower price That is not to say a lower price or the ones you are considering are not good for you, but rather appears your priority should be performance. A great set of springs/dampers is not going to be cheap, but will provide better performance on the corners. I run Koni Sports (Yellow) and Bilsteins are considered a close second to them, but are just a common opinion and not saying this is fact .

Spring rates are also going to be real important, so as to find a balance between a comfortable ride on the street and ability to address the bumps/ruts in the road. I have no idea as to the quality of streets in Germany, but willing to bet they are FAR better than here. This means, you can probably run a pretty heavy spring and be comforable.

I recommend you contact Sam Strano (Stranoparts.com) and get his input BEFORE you get any parts for your car. He is extremely knowledgeable and can hook you up with what will work for you. After all, if you end up with a set of springs/dampers that doesn't fit your needs, they are NO bargain at any price

Jazzer
Old 07-03-2012, 08:37 AM
a_lopez1975
4th Gear Member

Thanks again Jazzer for the info and the contact as well. I will say that the streets here are well kept and constantly maintenanced kepted (except for some of the town roads which still have the same rocky pavements used by the knights thousands of years ago, seriously, lol). However, I did cancel the order on those lakewood drags (so good looking out Old Mustanger).

Already placed the order on the other products however, these are just something temporary until I'm stationed back in the States (March 2013) and by the time I'm more knowledgable on suspensions, definately going to upgrade. Other than that, I've spent the past 2 months reading some of your older threads (at Jazzer) and they have been very resourceful.. AGain, Thanks...

Quick Reply: Plan on lowering...