Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Bit by the suspension bug, where to start

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 10:47 PM
Fryguy22
4th Gear Member

Default Bit by the suspension bug, where to start

Hey guys I bought a new (used) mustang a few months ago and definitely want to do suspension first this time. To me there's nothing more fun than riding the twisties especially when it comes down to the bang for your buck. If you want to make more power then you still need to get it to the ground so why not get a solid base first? Anyways I don't have the cash to do this all at once so I want some advice on how best to break this up into 3 to 4 stages while still maintaining a decent overall balance in between stages.

BTW I just got a 2004 Gt with 19.5k. Pics will come soon. The car is completely stock other than the appearance mods I have done the last couple months since buying it (35th ann. hood vinyl decal, chin spoiler, honeycomb panel, painted the rear lower valence, grill delete)

The overall goal of this car is to be a daily driver / weekend warrior. I'm young so I don't mind a little bit of a harsh ride but the roads around here do suck so keep that in mind.

First I think it makes sense to start with full length subframes and some lower control arms and possibly something else (maybe strut tower brace?)

The in-between steps are what I'm not sure of.

My final goal is a full coilover setup with a new k-member in the front. Panhard with torque arms in the rear. I'd also like to upgrade the brakes at some point as well as the seats but those are more icing on the cake.

I'd like to keep each "stage" at $1000 or below if possible. I can do a lot of the work myself except for welding. I also don't have much experiencing tuning an adjustable suspension setup but thats part of the fun right?

Any and all help is much appreciated.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:46 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Looks as though you have read a bit of The Jazzer's work, as you already know what I was gonna ask

I agree that a set of FLSFC's, welded in-place, is the way to go, as a first step in suspension. Prior to this, and even more important.... tires! What is the weather conditions here you live? Can you run a very high-performance Summer tire year round or do you get inclimate temps?

As for "stages" of suspension build, your stated goals are gonna require a PHB or WL with TA, as mentioned. I would recommend you consider an MM Max Grip box and build it in stages. You can contact them on the phone and talk to a tech about your needs. IMO, get good seats prior to suspension mods AND good tires (assuming you don't already have them). My '02 had the worst possible seats I could ever imagine and were downright dangerous in the corners. Take a look at Brakes Upgrade (sig) and with minimal expense, have wonderful brakes.

Kinda all over the place on my reply, but what say you?

Jazzer
Old 07-20-2012, 06:04 AM
Fryguy22
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the reply Jazzer. I'll definitely contact MM in regards to the max grip box and see what sort of deals they can work out as far as buying it in stages. Since this is my main vehicle I think that I am going to hold off on tires until I need a new set or can afford a secondary set of wheels and tires for summer use. Due to poor road conditions in some areas around here do you think it is worth it to build an IRS setup? I feel like the IRS might plant the rear wheels to the ground a little better around bumpy turns. On a completely different note: Do you have any vids of you racing your car and a list of your mods? Take care and thanks again.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:07 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

IMO, and many others who hard-core open-track/AX the Mustang, the SRA will easily keep up with an IRS. Both would have to be built, but the IRS is more expensive to do so. OEM vs OEM, the IRS will out perform the SRA in the corners and quality of ride.

I run a second set of wheels between October~March, so I can run a race tire the rest of the year. If you can afford to do this, it is an AWESOME way to maintain max grip in Summer conditions.

I do have some racing vids and can be seen ***HERE***

Have you been to any HPDE's as of yet?

Jazzer