Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

getting lowering springs, what else do i need?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 03:21 PM
StangisSwag
2nd Gear Member

Default getting lowering springs, what else do i need?

tomorrow i am going in for eibach sportlines which is about 1.1 front 1.8 rear, no other suspension mods atm. will i need an adjustable panhard bar and will i need to align my car after the drop? what are some prices on alignment?
Old 07-19-2012, 06:25 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

You would be advised to get an adjustable PHB, but is mostly for esthetic reasons. The axle will be moved off-center, but you might be a lucky one that is already off to the passenger side from the factory

I see the UPR double adjustable as good for your needs. If you were really hardcore into corners or track, I would recommend the brace or maybe a spherical ended PHB, but otherwise, this is purrrfect

Alignment..... no idea as to cost, as it is going to vary around the country. keep in mind, you probably wont be able to reach OEM specs after a drop. I am not too familiar with the S197, but "think" that the post '09 Stang might have a bit more CC adjustments in factory form. Typically, you cannot get enough adjustment to square up the wheels to OEM specs, so expect to have an additonal .75* of neg. camber after your drop.

Jazzer
Old 07-19-2012, 11:16 PM
StangisSwag
2nd Gear Member

ok, sounds decent, i called eibach and the rep recommended some cheap 20$ camber bolts they make as well as the adjustable phb.

could i expect any issues if i only get springs in terms of something breaking? also concerned about tire wear =/
Old 07-20-2012, 09:16 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I would not run "cheap" camber bolts

The ONLY bolts I would consider are those from FRPP. All of the aftermarket ones, of which I am aware, are not nearly as strong. You DON'T want a broken camber bolt and CC plates allow a wider range of adjustment with the addition of some caster.

Jazzer
Old 07-20-2012, 11:22 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by StangisSwag
could i expect any issues if i only get springs in terms of something breaking? also concerned about tire wear =/
Stiffer springs will beat your presumably OE dampers up a bit faster. Not that they'll actually break, but the car will get a bit "floaty" and ride more harshly once the dampers aren't able to keep you from hitting the bump stops. Then you get to take your springs off the tired struts and swap them over to the new struts - basically what you're doing now - all over again.

Expect your cambers to go somewhere between 0.5° and 0.75° more negative than wherever they are now. Toe will probably shift a little, too.

When you're modifying your suspension, you should never be thinking with the word "cheap" at the front of your mind, nor that the fasteners that hold it all together are mere afterthoughts.

Norm