Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Lower?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 11:03 PM
98st@ng

Default Lower?

Looking to lower my 98 mustang about 4 inches, looked everywhere but everyone only lowers like 1.5 inches. has anyone cut the springs to lower at least 2.5-3"? Had high dollar coilovers on my sports car i sold. Figured since this car is terrible at handling and power dumping it would be in order.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:17 PM
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

A Mustang does not have enough suspension travel to lower it by 4".
Old 08-15-2012, 06:31 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Welcome to MF's and our resident senior citizen is correct.

You go soo far as 2.5", you will have worse handling than you do now or would need major suspension mods to compensate for the drastic changes in geometry. Chances are that it may not corner as well anyway, but would need at least a $5K investment (parts only) to make you a serious corner-carver.

What are the ULTIMATE goals for your car?

Jazzer
Old 08-15-2012, 02:27 PM
98st@ng

to be slammed, nothing really to do with the horsepower i have and the handling. What springs can i buy that lower 2.5" than?
Old 08-15-2012, 05:01 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I am not sure you are listening to all I said here

Going that low on your otherwise OEM front end will lead to lousy cornering and a poor ride. If you still want to do this, you will really need to go CO's and CC plates at the very least. To do it correctly (create improved cornering), you will need to address the front suspension geometry via new "K" member and "A" arms.

If your only goal is to be "slammed" and not handle well, the CO's and CC plates will get you there.

Jazzer
Old 08-16-2012, 11:03 PM
98st@ng

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
I am not sure you are listening to all I said here

Going that low on your otherwise OEM front end will lead to lousy cornering and a poor ride. If you still want to do this, you will really need to go CO's and CC plates at the very least. To do it correctly (create improved cornering), you will need to address the front suspension geometry via new "K" member and "A" arms.

If your only goal is to be "slammed" and not handle well, the CO's and CC plates will get you there.

Jazzer
Can you post a link to these plates? im not sure what they are? But thanks for the info.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:09 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

CC plates

Simply put, they allow adjustment of caster and camber for your front wheels. These are ways to lessen tire wear after lowering and/or improve cornering of your car. With CO's they are required and a good idea if one is looking for improved lateral grip regardless of drop or not.

Jazzer
Old 08-17-2012, 06:52 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
CC plates

Simply put, they allow adjustment of caster and camber for your front wheels. These are ways to lessen tire wear after lowering and/or improve cornering of your car. With CO's they are required and a good idea if one is looking for improved lateral grip regardless of drop or not.

Jazzer
Yup. What Jazzer said. And you might consider adjustable control arms in the back to compensate for the pinion angle change.

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-c...ackage-79.html

If I understand you correctly, the drop you're looking for is more cosmetic than for actual handling improvement. If that's the case, another option to gain an extra inch or so in drop is to go with smaller diameter tires. Let's say (hypothetically) you have 17x7 wheels on the car. If you changed from 245/45-17s which it should have for the proper diameter to something like a 205/40-17, it would drop the car even more. To me, that would look a little goofy, but it is another way to get more drop.

I can report (from the shenanigans of my younger years) that if you drop the car 2.5-3 inches with coilovers and install shorter tires like I mentioned, the car will ride like crap and scrape EVERYWHERE. But it will be S L A M M E D.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:56 PM
pandastang
1st Gear Member

can you post a pic of how you want the car to look slammed?
Old 08-20-2012, 09:07 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Here's my '93 notch when I first got it back together and the springs were shot. Imagine if you put 15x7s on there with 195/50-15s. That would be like another inch and a half lower.

Here's my '95 which wasn't slammed, but it was low.

Quick Reply: Lower?