Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Rear Support Brace is rotted

Old 09-21-2012, 12:15 AM
StrongStang

Default Rear Support Brace is rotted

I was doing an under carriage inspection & noticed my right side rear support brace is so rusted I can stick my finger straight through the middle of it. I went to the Ford stealer & they want $1,200 for a set of 2.
Part #'s 76102-B/54 & 55... They're insane!

So I've been researching some solutions & would like your feedback & advice. Btw in the Haynes manual it states that these braces are only found on convertibles .

Solution 1: Junkyard. Cannot find a convertible mustang anywhere so that's out.

Solution 2: Get this or something similar to this BMR subframe connector & have it welded on... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BMR-SFC011R/

Solution 3: Remove both braces & take them to a machine shop for repair and/or reinforcement

Can you guys give me a DIY tip or solution? If not, maybe someone on here knows of a good shop in the NYC area that has experience with chassis modding & reinforcing

Thanks in advance

2006 Mustang V6 Convertible

Old 10-07-2013, 06:46 PM
cessna

Default rusted brace

Did you fix your rusted braces and if so how. I have the same problem. One would think there would be a call back on these.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:47 PM
StrongStang

Nope. I had many other projects to tend to since then but it's still on my hit list... Have you searched around for any solutions??
Old 05-26-2014, 09:16 PM
don-ohio
1st Gear Member

Same here............rusted. Need new ones.Keep in touch. I just joined here.Thanks! don-ohio (:^)
Old 06-04-2015, 08:10 AM
rooneyeb

Hi, I was underneath my 07 fixing a loose clamp and found the same issue - the passenger side is perfectly fine and the driver's side brace is rotted... It appears not only was this simple piece of metal over $500, it now lists on websites as not available/discontinued. I may check a metal shop to see if they can weld something to it, or refab. But first I wanted to see if since this last post if anyone had any other simple/cheaper solutions. Thanks everyone - ejb
Old 08-11-2015, 06:39 PM
HaefDog

Smile solution to the convertibe rear brace

Here is what I found:

AR3Z-76102B55-B Left through 8/09 500 dollars more or less
AR3Z-76102B54-B Right through 8/09 500 dollars more or less

AR3Z-76102B55-A Left after 8/09 240 dollars more or less
AR3Z-76102B54-A Right after 8/09 240 dollars more or less

My 2006 had the right side rusted very badly and fell apart when I removed it from the vehicle. The newer braces will fit the older mustang. the newer brace has an extra bracket for 2 additional holes that can be left alone or easily drilled and two additional bolts added. The torque for the bolts are 46 ft lb on the bigger bolts and 18 ft lb on the one small vertical bracket.
I found both the braces from a 2014 donor convertible and they are a direct bolt in replacement for my 2006. Ford is specific in the tightening sequence and recommends that both removed and installed at the same time. All bolts are to be stared by and, the front two are tightened, the rear two, then the front /center bolt and then the small upper one last.
I suspect most salvage yards dont have a big call for these pesky braces as they are in the way when they remove the rear diff from a donor car. My spot put them in the car body and I was able to purchase them for 25 for the pair. A great deal I thought they looked near new and only had minor scrapes which painted very well.

Now my 2006 is sporting Ford factory braces, albeit from a 2014.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:38 PM
HaefDog

I mis-spoke, it was $250.00 for the pair from the salvage facility.
Old 04-16-2020, 11:15 PM
bud636
1st Gear Member

Default Mustangsupportbars.com

We offer sets of braces for 05-09 V6 or GT models as a direct replacement. Sets of braces are $500 per set left & right. We also offer sets of replacement bolts for a complete upgrade of your convertible braces. Over 200 happy convertibles out there and even happier owners that repaired their convertible affordably. Check out our website mustangsupportbars.com or the video on YouTube. These are an American made product totally from Missouri.

Buffalo NY April 2020

After complete upgrade. Black powder coating stainless steel washers and black phosphate coated bolts. $550 with shipping included to anywhere in the continental United States.
Old 04-16-2020, 11:27 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bud636
We offer sets of braces for 05-09 V6 or GT models as a direct replacement. Sets of braces are $500 per set left & right. We also offer sets of replacement bolts for a complete upgrade of your convertible braces. Over 200 happy convertibles out there and even happier owners that repaired their convertible affordably. Check out our website mustangsupportbars.com or the video on YouTube. These are an American made product totally from Missouri.

Buffalo NY April 2020

After complete upgrade. Black powder coating stainless steel washers and black phosphate coated bolts. $550 with shipping included to anywhere in the continental United States.
These braces appear to be far simpler in concept than alluded to. Pieces of EMT thinwall tubing, plated, flattened on the ends for sc rew fastenings, could be made up in almost any garage.
Old 08-17-2020, 03:23 PM
bud636
1st Gear Member

Default Mustang support bars

Hey folks have you checked out our website mustangsupportbars.com there is a buy it now button for convenience with the option of replacement bolts for a full upgrade of your braces. We offer black powder coated braces with or without replacement bolts. Currently we are offering for a limited time sets of galvanized braces with complete bolt set for $500. Both totals include shipping fees to the continental USA. Canada is an extra $50 on shipping fees. These braces are a bolt on replacement for 05-09 Mustang convertible models. Please check out our website mustangsupportbars.com for additional information? Thanks bud

Galvanized braces with black bolts and stainless steel washers. 05-09 Mustang convertible models

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Support Brace is rotted