Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Eibach springs and anti roll / sway bar kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 08:22 PM
My99cobra
1st Gear Member

Default Eibach springs and anti roll / sway bar kit

Hey guys got a winter project for this winter. I'm going to be lowering my cobra with eibach spring and slapping a anti-roll bar and sway bar. Some people say put new shocks an struts while I'm lowering it. I also have heard about casters to be replaced too. What do u guys think or any other suggestions?
Old 10-09-2012, 02:18 AM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by My99cobra
Hey guys got a winter project for this winter. I'm going to be lowering my cobra with eibach spring and slapping a anti-roll bar and sway bar. Some people say put new shocks an struts while I'm lowering it. I also have heard about casters to be replaced too. What do u guys think or any other suggestions?
Agreed...while it's apart upgrade the other components around the springs! You will thank yourself come May =)!

EDIT: I saw where you are from...the roads in Ohio S-U-C-K, DEFINITELY upgrade the other components!!
Old 10-09-2012, 05:22 AM
My99cobra
1st Gear Member

thanks......and yes ohio sucks
Old 10-10-2012, 01:10 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

My99.... do you have issues of understeer or oversteer? If so... how bad?

Jazzer
Old 10-10-2012, 06:17 PM
My99cobra
1st Gear Member

Jazzer not really sure I have a problem I have tight steering and feel that I oversteer and I just want some stability
Old 10-12-2012, 08:30 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

OK... I think you may be going at this the wrong way If you don't have understeer/oversteer or not sure.... do NOT replace the sway bars. Not to sound like a smart ***, but they don't just automatically make your car handle better or improve stability.

If you have oversteer, you are likely better off going with a lighter rear bar, not a heavier one. Further more, if you are looking at an "anti-roll" bar (I mean this litterally), you will compound oversteer by many times, as this will make rear-axle articulation all but non-existant.

What are the ULTIMATE goals for your car?

Jazzer
Old 10-12-2012, 12:34 PM
My99cobra
1st Gear Member

Thanks jazzer for the help on that... The goal for my car is to lower it and keep it looking stock. I have somewhat ****ty roads in Ohio and just want something that when I dodge the craters and bump in the beautiful Ohio roads I don't feel like I'm going to loose control.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:15 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Well, there is certainly going to be a trade-off between a car that responds well to sudden input changes to the wheel and one that rides nice on rough roads. The "key" is to find a nice balance between the two, so that you don't regret your decision. My advice is the following... take your car out to a LARGE wide-open parking lot and see how it responds under very aggressive driver input. You will find out its tendencies of possible understeer/oversteer and how far you may want to take improvements in how it responds to such input.

Keep in mind, that improving how your Mustang will handle, is in LARGE part the trade-off mentioned above. My car takes an absolute spectacular turn, but the price payed is NVH.

What say you?

Jazzer

Last edited by Jazzer The Cat; 10-12-2012 at 03:18 PM. Reason: advice has a "C", silly!
Old 10-14-2012, 04:09 PM
My99cobra
1st Gear Member

Well jazzer probably for now I'm just going to lower the car and put new shocks and struts and new casters for now
Old 10-28-2012, 09:08 PM
Bugs78

Originally Posted by My99cobra
Well jazzer probably for now I'm just going to lower the car and put new shocks and struts and new casters for now

ive always done my stuff in stages.

Springs/Struts for round 1. (and alignment parts too).

Hold off on sway bars till after you have time to live with the springs. Helps figure out what you have before you can determine what you need.

Quick Reply: Eibach springs and anti roll / sway bar kit