Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

S197 forced into doing more upgrades than I wanted

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 01:02 AM
Murphdog
3rd Gear Member

Default S197 forced into doing more upgrades than I wanted

So, I ordered some Koni Yellows and springs as a gift for my Mustang (just hit 50,000 miles). The next day, a curb ran into my left front tire. Not hard, but enough to damage and push the wheel back, too much that a basic alignment could not fix it. The wheel was drive-able but was damaged in a way that I would think the tire could pop at any time, so I decided to have all the original tires and the 1 wheel replaced at this time.

The caster is off and per the tire shop, needed some caster plates to fix. They also said the lower ball joint had some play.

I then took it to a alignment shop, per a co-workers recommendation, to get a second opinion. The alignment shop didn't see any ball joint play. but he offered 2 different resolutions for the caster. Either use caster plates, or adjust the k-member.

I wasn't expecting to spend all this money in the last 1.5 weeks, but I've setup a plan now....

I will do the following....
1. Install Shocks/Struts/Springs. (only other time I've done this is on the front wheels of my old Ford Explorer. We will see how this goes)

Shop will...
1. Fix the alignment.

Since I'm lowering the vehicle, I'm thinking that a bumpsteer kit is in my near future. Not sure if I will install it or if I will want the alignment shop to install it.

The unknowns I have are....
1. I'm not a body/chassis/suspension expert, but would caster plates be considered a band-aid and adjusting the k-member be the way to go? Seems to me that k-member adjustment would be more solid.

2. If the shop ends up replacing the ball joint, will the Steeda X5 ball joint kit have some kind of advantage over others because the car is lowered?

3. I've seen much talk about the Steeda HD Upper Strut Mounts. Do people ever install these because they have a problem (with camber perhaps), or just because it is an upgrade from the stock mounts?

4. Instead of the Steed mounts, would another set of Caster/Camber Plates be a good alternative? It looks like it's one or the other in some cases like MM or Hypermotive, not both.

5. As far as bumpsteer goes. I'm leaning over the UPR brand instead of Steeda because of the price ($30 to $50 cheaper in other places, including Ebay)

Hopefully this is all I have to deal with. It has been suggested that any of the following could have been damaged, and the shop guys didn't see them damaged....

Steering knuckle
control arm
tie rod
strut (which is being replaced anyway)
ball joint

Thanks for any input you have. I'm looking to have all the parts by the weekend so I can do as much of the work on it myself. ie, struts/shocks/springs and mount kit or plates.

Last edited by Murphdog; 01-15-2013 at 01:26 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:32 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

First of all, if you need anything from UPR, I'd be happy to hook you up with a discount. (although you mentioned Ebay, and our ebay prices are already discounted)

That said, I'm a little worried about your description of the situation. If the the impact pushed your wheel back enough to change the caster, then adjustable cc-plates are not the correct way to repair it. The wheel needs to be put back where it belongs, which could involve the control arm, k-member, strut, etc...
Old 01-17-2013, 11:58 PM
Murphdog
3rd Gear Member

Ever since it was mentioned that k-member adjustment could fix the issue, I have preferred that over the CC plates. And certainly, if that's all I need to fix the issue great. If not, then I'll get whatever needs to be done before adding cc plates.

However, as far as upgrading my struts/shocks/springs go.....I keep seeing the recommendation to upgrade the upper strut mount to something better than stock. I'm not seeing a lot of different upper strut mounts other than the Steeda (camber only) and the GT500. All other items seem to be CC plates that would take the place of the mount.

I've got the shocks/struts/springs at the house now and am willing to install those myself. Then take it over to the alignment shop to have them fix the k-member and see if anything else is out of whack.

PM'ing you about the bumpsteer purchase. I may install that myself as well before it goes in for alignment.

Also, I've got a adjustable panhard bar on it's way to a local shop here. I didn't even think about the rear until yesterday and realize I should get one. Eventually I'll upgrade to a watts link.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:15 PM
Murphdog
3rd Gear Member

bumpsteer ordered off ebay!
Old 01-19-2013, 09:02 PM
Fillerdust
2nd Gear Member

I too am interested why they say that u need cc plates or adjust the k member. I wonder why they don't think the lower control arm isn't bent thus pushing the wheel farther back in the wheel well. I would take it to another shop for a second opinion.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:32 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Murphdog
Ever since it was mentioned that k-member adjustment could fix the issue, I have preferred that over the CC plates. And certainly, if that's all I need to fix the issue great. If not, then I'll get whatever needs to be done before adding cc plates.

However, as far as upgrading my struts/shocks/springs go.....I keep seeing the recommendation to upgrade the upper strut mount to something better than stock. I'm not seeing a lot of different upper strut mounts other than the Steeda (camber only) and the GT500. All other items seem to be CC plates that would take the place of the mount.

I've got the shocks/struts/springs at the house now and am willing to install those myself. Then take it over to the alignment shop to have them fix the k-member and see if anything else is out of whack.

PM'ing you about the bumpsteer purchase. I may install that myself as well before it goes in for alignment.

Also, I've got a adjustable panhard bar on it's way to a local shop here. I didn't even think about the rear until yesterday and realize I should get one. Eventually I'll upgrade to a watts link.
PMed you back. (maybe a little late)

Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with!
Old 01-23-2013, 12:24 AM
Murphdog
3rd Gear Member

Got the bumpsteer kit today. Thanks.

I've got the car at a shop this week to help make the final decision on whether or not I have a damaged k-member or a-arms or anything else. (Shop is featured in Texas Car Wars on Discovery). If I need a K-member I may be looking at yours Sharad. Is it compatible with BMR A-arms? I noticed UPR had some in the works, but not available yet.

And by the time you see this post, maybe you saw my other inquiry about LCA relocation brackets... They are not required for everything to work are they? Relocation brackets were not on my to-do list for this current upgrade and am just wondering if they need to be.

Thanks
Old 01-24-2013, 04:32 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Murphdog
Got the bumpsteer kit today. Thanks.

I've got the car at a shop this week to help make the final decision on whether or not I have a damaged k-member or a-arms or anything else. (Shop is featured in Texas Car Wars on Discovery). If I need a K-member I may be looking at yours Sharad. Is it compatible with BMR A-arms? I noticed UPR had some in the works, but not available yet.

And by the time you see this post, maybe you saw my other inquiry about LCA relocation brackets... They are not required for everything to work are they? Relocation brackets were not on my to-do list for this current upgrade and am just wondering if they need to be.

Thanks
Excellent! Our k-member is very nice (I'm running one on my car) and it IS compatible with the BMR a-arms.

I answered your other post. Relo brackets are NOT required, and in my opinion you should weld them in AND weld the axle tubes if you use relo brackets, so they might not be right for you at this stage. I personally haven't installed relo brackets on my car, and I have a pretty extensive suspension setup on my car.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:14 PM
Murphdog
3rd Gear Member

I just got my car back from the 3rd shop. He had it for a couple days. Did not find anything bent and did more measurements. Everything is perfect. I don't need a k-member or a-arms at this time, but they will be on the car in the future (after I have some time to pay off my current bills).

He did mention that a bolt or nut going into the torque arm appears to be stripped. Not sure how I'm going to handle that right now, but I'm guessing that the tire shop did that.

I'm currently waiting for the upper strut mounts and then I'll put the Koni's, springs and bumpsteer kit on. Hopefully take it to an alignment shop for the last time after that (for a while anyway).